What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
$400m cash is a lot better than $400m in total, There needs to be more details.
Like does it count the Women's comp? for example it is hard to do a breakdown otherwise.

Lets assume it is just the mens comp because the Womens comp is still homeless as far as a timeslot purpose but that would be extra content as mentioned in the article

It is still 8 games a week which is 640 mins a week live content. Only have halftime to puts ads in.
AFL is 1080 mins a week, Broken into 4 qtrs so more chance to sell ads

Both seasons run for roughly the same length and NRL costs $100k pre covid to produce a game, So you also have those extra costs to take into consideration.

So I can see that there would a difference, Too many moving parts to say if it is a good deal or not
haha, dodge, spin, dodge.

Frank Burge

Juniors
I have just emailed Rlpa , I know it probably will get deleted but if you love this game and don’t want to see it become a 2nd tier sport like soccer/rugby please email them and hopefully if enough of us do we can get some action. It’s to late to change this round of media deals, but if he is in charge again and is making sure uncle Rupert is happy next time , another media deal with this disparity will leave us in a position we can’t return from.

Iamback

Coach
Why weren’t all those things taken into consideration when there was only a $36m per year gap in the last tv deal cycle, as opposed to the current $100m-$150m per year? He has done a shit deal for rugby league and has put us on the back foot for a decade minimum

Backfoot how?

The Dolphins in.
NRLW expanding and going professional

Remembering for the next 2 seasons the gap is as you said $36m difference.

Taking the slowly approach with the NRLW but that gives 2 years to get that in order and add what $20-$50m? to the deal
BEFORE the AFL deal ends in 2031 team 18 can come in adding more value to the next deal you'd think if Dolphins with no extra game is worth $20m that is extra game is worth more than that

Now onto the respective deals, Remember though that AFL deals is contra aswell as $50m from Telstra.

People on here had $400m a year including contra, IF the story is true then that is the cash amount you add 20% or so on top of that, That takes it to $480m

AFL is $643m of that Telstra $50m gives you $593m for Pay/FTA

I presume this is the upgrades to Marvel?

How much does it cost? That also is included in the deal so it also is part of the $593m.

Frank Burge

Juniors
The NRL has added 12 games to the schedule for next year, so while there is no 9th game they have already gave them half for that $20m so I can’t imagine getting another $50m for 12 more games unless we do Monday nights (which is over saturation for average fan). While it would be nice to think the NRLW would be worth $20-$50m I can’t see it happening as I believe WNBA is only worth $70m in a market 15x bigger than ours.

Frank Burge

Juniors
And media stated at least $4b cash so $400m to $570m is a massive difference, if you want to say extra game and more ad breaks fair enough but what about State of Origin, rep games and all stars? Hell we let them televise our trials this year for no gain, was averaging over 100k ratings per game.

Iamback

Coach
And media stated at least $4b cash so $400m to $570m is a massive difference, if you want to say extra game and more ad breaks fair enough but what about State of Origin, rep games and all stars? Hell we let them televise our trials this year for no gain, was averaging over 100k ratings per game.

So what are the marvel updates then? So that figure doesn't add up.

State of Origin rates well but the other games? Only really Thurs night rates well on ch9. The rest are very poor.
Wasn't the Trials just a trial to see how it went? Add that to the Womens as extra content that can be added

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Backfoot how?

The Dolphins in.
NRLW expanding and going professional

Remembering for the next 2 seasons the gap is as you said $36m difference.

Taking the slowly approach with the NRLW but that gives 2 years to get that in order and add what $20-$50m? to the deal
BEFORE the AFL deal ends in 2031 team 18 can come in adding more value to the next deal you'd think if Dolphins with no extra game is worth $20m that is extra game is worth more than that

Now onto the respective deals, Remember though that AFL deals is contra aswell as $50m from Telstra.

People on here had $400m a year including contra, IF the story is true then that is the cash amount you add 20% or so on top of that, That takes it to $480m

AFL is $643m of that Telstra $50m gives you $593m for Pay/FTA

I presume this is the upgrades to Marvel?

How much does it cost? That also is included in the deal so it also is part of the $593m.
We are giving him everything for peanuts whilst the AFL get a motza.
For example Super Saturday is worth a heap to Foxtel whilst they are paying a fortune to do the same in AFL.

Colk

First Grade
Why weren’t all those things taken into consideration when there was only a $36m per year gap in the last tv deal cycle, as opposed to the current $100m-$150m per year? He has done a shit deal for rugby league and has put us on the back foot for a decade minimum

Because it doesn’t suit their argument essentially.

Iamback

Coach
We are giving him everything for peanuts whilst the AFL get a motza.
For example Super Saturday is worth a heap to Foxtel whilst they are paying a fortune to do the same in AFL.

If the $400m cash is true with the $80m contra next year = $480m

AFL is $473m take off $50m Telstra money = $423m for 2023 and 2024

Still a bad deal?

Colk

First Grade
A deal which isn't complete though? Which doesn't fit the narrative on here

He’s talking about the fumbleball deal from 25. That’s complete and it has been announced. It has also been discussed ad nauseum.

Are you also directly quoting V’Landys from that article - where he states that they are always negotiating and it is a dynamic process etc? He might want to refer to that same article where Nine and Pay categorically stated that they are not paying anymore.

Essentially this is it until 2028.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
He’s talking about the fumbleball deal from 25. That’s complete and it has been announced. It has also been discussed ad nauseum.

Are you also directly quoting V’Landys from that article - where he states that they are always negotiating and it is a dynamic process etc? He might want to refer to that same article where Nine and Pay categorically stated that they are not paying anymore.

Essentially this is it until 2028.

Yes but is the NRL deal complete?

Where does NRLW fit in the calendar? Or the Test window Abdo mentioned?
Hell even if Fox is keeping the trials.

What do you reckon that is worth $50m more? That is the extra content mentioned

Wb1234

Referee
That's little consultation when we can't monitise these superior ratings.
Afl just redid their deal for the future

you don’t think the arlc can also redo their future deals lmao

heck if it makes you happy they can put a billion dollars on top for Telstra to provide 5g to the gambaro hotel

Wb1234

Referee
Man this is a hard read and yet ain some sort of way entertaining.

To summarise:

On one hand you have people presenting an argument with evidence and figures. Then you have the others who don't like these figures, so they either resort to insults and abuse or claim the data is not real .

In a nutshell the AFL is in more states than the NRL and have more teams so they get more money.
Fair enough, whatever... Imagine letting that make you get angry and upset.

BUT the NRL should get more money because of huge ratings. Hopefully they learn from this and get it right next time.

Just don't watch AFL EVER if it upsets you.

Watch, follow and support the NRL and be happy...Problem solved.
Next week we have an amazing Penrith and Parra final. Get excited.
I had the afl on the tv in Pub right in front of me and I still didn’t watch it. Six minutes dragged on for close to 15

finally after what seemed an eternity it was over and the footy was on

Iamback

Coach
Afl just redid their deal for the future

you don’t think the arlc can also redo their future deals lmao

heck if it makes you happy they can put a billion dollars on top for Telstra to provide 5g to the gambaro hotel

It isn't where you re-do the whole deal, Take the NRLW you sell that
Test window you sell like 4 games a year to TV
The trials they showed this year is all content

Wb1234

Referee
It isn't where you re-do the whole deal, Take the NRLW you sell that
Test window you sell like 4 games a year to TV
The trials they showed this year is all content
Even the 9th game can be brought forward to 2025

as long as he doesn’t also extend the deal

I’ve always thought they were going to add team 18 2025 if the dolphins aren’t a basket case

Wb1234

Referee
And yes internationals are the next thing they need to work on and it should add prob 10 Million plus pa

Iamback

Coach
Even the 9th game can be brought forward to 2025

as long as he doesn’t also extend the deal

I’ve always thought they were going to add team 18 2025 if the dolphins aren’t a basket case

Exactly plenty to still add and for 2023 and 2024 NRL has better deal and can close the gap for the remaining 3 years.
Then the new TV deal kicks in for the last 4 years of the AFL one. people are whinging for the sake of whinging