What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
So what- if you had been paying attention or looking the NRL gave 27.5m discount to nine for years 2021 2022 for sure and 30m to foxtel for a gran total 57.5m . So the AFL gave Seven a discount of 23.3m which has been written about. Foxtel it seems got the same at 30m, for a gran total of 53m.( AFL)
Notice the AFL media is in their figures with Roy saying.. 345m-media only which could go marginally lower but we accept it . At least if we get over 150m from free to air(s) the NRL will have a bigger /better/more money deal than AFL. Again if we clear over 150 with free to air , I almost forgot the 20m NZ Sky, So we only ned to clear over 135m Free To Air (AUS) the NRL will have highest media deal, which starts at the end of next year. Also the AFL won't be able to sell online right(s) meaning more than one, like the NRL, maybe a side deal with Amazon Prime for 25m could be in the offering. Any which way you cut it, soon the NRL will now have a bigger media deal than the AFL. Take that to the bank.

Its a shame we will never know! You'd think if we are heading for such a great deal and about to trump AFL for the first time in decades that the NRL would be keen to let us all know wouldn't you? This years media deal should have been $351mill, are you suggesting the next TV deal will see us at $345million ish a year? How do you get to that when we don't know what the Fox extension is, or what's included in it?
Until we know how much of the $496mil a year the AFL are claiming for 23&24 is actual cash we wont know if we are going to come close or not, unless Vlandys has got us the all time deal of the century out of Fox!! Pre covid impact there was a gap of over $50mill a year. Time will tell if we close it for the first time since tv deals were made public, or at least it would if the NRl weren't being so secretive about it.

Last edited:

colly

Juniors
Its a shame we will never know! You'd think if we are heading for such a great deal and about to trump AFL for the first time in decades that the NRL would be keen to let us all know wouldn't you? This years media deal should have been $351mill, are you suggesting the next TV deal will see us at $345million ish a year? How do you get to that when we don't know what the Fox extension is, or what's included in it?
Until we know how much of the $496mil a year the AFL are claiming for 23&24 is actual cash we wont know if we are going to come close or not, unless Vlandys has got us the all time deal of the century out of Fox!! Pre covid impact there was a gap of over $50mill a year. Time will tell if we close it for the first time since tv deals were made public, or at least it would if the NRl weren't being so secretive about it.
The figures past did not account for payback of the 'Advance' of one hundred million dollars which would have lessened ( 2020) deal by $40-50-m So in the next deal we will have the upper hand especially as we cut Telstra out of both ( NRL, AFL) deals. Take it from me the AFL only have Foxtel 200m and Seven 150, so total 350m, which is the figure we need to beat and we will.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The figures past did not account for payback of the 'Advance' of one hundred million dollars which would have lessened ( 2020) deal by $40-50-m So in the next deal we will have the upper hand especially as we cut Telstra out of both ( NRL, AFL) deals. Take it from me the AFL only have Foxtel 200m and Seven 150, so total 350m, which is the figure we need to beat and we will.

you keep saying this re the advanced pay,ent made in 16&17 but it isn’t how the deal worked. It was a $100mill upfront payment which has seen the annual revenue reduced accordingly over the life span of the deal e $20mill a year of the deal. It wasn’t a loan that has been paid back by the nrl to tv.
Both of your statements re $ value of the 23 onwards deals are pure guess work.

colly

Juniors
you keep saying this re the advanced pay,ent made in 16&17 but it isn’t how the deal worked. It was a $100mill upfront payment which has seen the annual revenue reduced accordingly over the life span of the deal e $20mill a year of the deal. It wasn’t a loan that has been paid back by the nrl to tv.
Both of your statements re $ value of the 23 onwards deals are pure guess work.
Nevwer ,Never had i said it was a loan. Again never did or ever said it was a loan. ( show me where i said that. It was a advance. No way Nine ,Foxtel are waiting 5 years to get re payed (advance) More like $20m in 2018 then $40-45 in years 2019,2020 reduced revenue of course.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nevwer ,Never had i said it was a loan. Again never did or ever said it was a loan. ( show me where i said that. It was a advance. No way Nine ,Foxtel are waiting 5 years to get re payed (advance) More like $20m in 2018 then $40-45 in years 2019,2020 reduced revenue of course.

From the annual report thread......

it looks like the NRL payed off the 100m dollar loan from broadcasters. No mnetion of loan in 2020 budget papers,.

again pure guesswork and highly unlikely the nrl would saddle itself with that big a reduction over two years when they could spread out the liability. If that was the case this years covid reduction would be virtually nothing which is clearly ridiculous.

Last edited:

colly

Juniors
From the annual report thread......

again pure guesswork and highly unlikely the nrl would saddle itself with that big a reduction over two years when they could spread out the liability. If that was the case this years covid reduction would be virtually nothing which is clearly ridiculous.
Well you got me their- however the advance operates as like a loan. With a loan a payee chooses to repay- while a advance the lender/advanced has the ability to withhold/ or get the money back from the income flow without any interruptions. I did mention advance as well as 'loan' in that post.

Last edited:

colly

Juniors
Well you got me their- however the advance operates as like a loan. With a loan a payee chooses to repay- while a advance the lender/advanced has the ability to withhold/ or get the money back from the income flow without any interruptions.
Both of your statements re $ value of the 23 onward deals are pure guess work.
So you say advance of $100 million dollars by two companies can be leisurely payed back over the course of say five years. Well when I worked with post office a guy a worked with, got a advance regularly with payback usually over the next pay check, maybe over 2 pay periods BUT never five pay periods. It stands to reason as money never sleeps and Nine Foxtel could invest that 100m so why would you think that Nine would wait to 2022 to get their money back. What would have happened if Nine walked away, as they advised legally to investors, with the NRL still owing the advance money. No it was payed back by reduced revenue over 2/3 years. (max) Hence to media figures are lower than contracted amount.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s just guessing colly, you may be right but is is highly unlikely. Much more likely is that it was amortised over the life of the contract to reduce the impact on the nrls annual budget planning. Clubs are paying their $3mill each advance from nrl back to the nrl over the five years which suggests the nrl is taking the hit the same over the 5 years.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Maybe he's done a deal to get a percentage of the gambling revenue once it is set up. Afterall we are prividing the database that they will work of to get it going. This is crucial.

PVL has sped the game up, which has brought back the fatigue factor and provides more opportunities for the little blokes to make line breaks. It's a better spectacle and will bring more fans to the game. This will make future broadcast deals more valuable.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The NRL kicked off its new season in Melbourne last night as the Storm defeated the Rabbitohs 26-18. 463,000 viewers across Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne tuned in for the match and was the highest rating program in Sydney last night, and was the top non-news program in Brisbane.

This was up on last year’s season opener which had 391,000 tune in.

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/tv-ratings-nrl-returns-on-nine-with-over-400k/

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL kicked off its new season in Melbourne last night as the Storm defeated the Rabbitohs 26-18. 463,000 viewers across Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne tuned in for the match and was the highest rating program in Sydney last night, and was the top non-news program in Brisbane.

can you start a 2021 tv watch thread for this please, this thread is for discussion on tv contracts. Thanks

Shows just how important Melbourne is to the game. Without a team there, especially a successful one, we don't get those ratings.

Hopefully we can add a Perth team at some stage to boost those ratings a bit more.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bit more detail from the nrl annual financials for 2020.media revenue still hidden away under “license”. Which we can now see is made up of media, betting and merchandise revenue

also colly it is very clear in here that the nrl still has $72mill of the advanced payment as a liability and, as I called, it is being paid back over the life of the contract (page 28 point 11)

http://footyindustry.com/files/2020 Reports/ARLC Limited 2020 Concise Annual Report.pdf

colly

Juniors
Bit more detail from the nrl annual financials for 2020.media revenue still hidden away under “license”. Which we can now see is made up of media, betting and merchandise revenue

also colly it is very clear in here that the nrl still has $72mill of the advanced payment as a liability and, as I called, it is being paid back over the life of the contract (page 28 point 11)

http://footyindustry.com/files/2020 Reports/ARLC Limited 2020 Concise Annual Report.pdf

I have looked at point 11 page 28 and in noway does that mean the payback happens ov er the course of the contract.
Quote. Point 11, page 12-
Deferred revenue predominantly relates to cash received from future media rights fees, recognised over the life of
the next media rights deal covering financial years 2018 to 2022 and 2017. This is therefore a ‘non cash’ liability
which will be amortised to revenue over financial years 2018 – 2022 with a portion amortised to 2027.""end of quote.

So by the last sentence Foxtel ( who have a extension/new contract to 2027) will wait for the final payback payment on or in 2027. ( A full ten years after the advance given in 2017, Foxtel finally will get their Advance back) That does not seem likely. What that point 11 means is , the NRL will in their books, account for this 'payback of a Advance' over the life of the contract- BUT that does not mean Nine and Foxtel didn't get their money back quickly by big reduced payments over , say, 2 years.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh it reads that nine media revenue is being reduced annually 18-22 and fox up to the end of the new extended contract in 27. I’m surprised there is still $72.1million to be taken off the future media revenue in years to come, thought it would have been reduced in 18-20 more than just $28mill.

Latest posts