What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
So let me get this straight .
PVL has stated that the NRL took a big hit in yr 1 of an extended 3 yr deal with a smaller reduction for the other 2.
Apprently the AFl spread the hit evenly over 3 years .
So instead of comparing at the end of the 3 yrs which code got the better deal .
The resident AFl/GIl cheerleader only looks at 2020.
Wow I'm shocked .lol lol lol
It suits his anti PVL agenda .

its not like I haven’t made mention of this numerous times and that we’ll only get the true picture when all the details come out, which is now never as we can’t see what Vlandys signed us up to.

its not like I haven’t made mention of this numerous times and that we’ll only get the true picture when all the details come out, which is now never as we can’t see what Vlandys signed us up to.
:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:
All you do is scream what a dud deal PVL signed us up for .
Yet you don't know the facts .
Your agenda ..pro afl ...anti anything PVL is on show continiously .

Perth Red

Post Whore
:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:
All you do is scream what a dud deal PVL signed us up for .
Yet you don't know the facts .
Your agenda ..pro afl ...anti anything PVL is on show continiously .

and all you do is read what you want to read into my posts to justify your sense of dislike for me lol. I’m not pro AFL though I do admire much of the success they have compared to us. As the codes main rival it is the bar we should be measuring ourselves against,

Im critical of Vlandys on a number of fronts, and am very concerned about the deals he has signed, mainly as he refuses to be transparent about them and in my experience that reluctance to be open with stakeholders rarely comes from a position of strength or positive outcome. But I fully concede I could be wrong and he could have got us an awesome deal. Sadly we are unlikely to ever know now. Whilst the other codes have no problem telling us the deals they are doing we have decided it’s “confidential”. It pays to be healthily sceptical imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope we get 7, 9 and 10 to have some slice of RL come 2023. It might help get more kids watching the game. We need more kids to watch the game if we want it to survive and thrive in 30 years time.

we’ve heard similar every tv deal since 2013, origin to be split etc. could be more likely this time if Ch9 don’t have the funds to pay for exclusivity, but it’s a big loss for them if they don’t. Be nice to see things shaken up though.

we’ve heard similar every tv deal since 2013, origin to be split etc. could be more likely this time if Ch9 don’t have the funds to pay for exclusivity, but it’s a big loss for them if they don’t. Be nice to see things shaken up though.
Yes, they say it every time. If one network gets exclusivity then please be anyone but 9.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, they say it every time. If one network gets exclusivity then please be anyone but 9.

be interesting how much content has to be on fta? Is it a certain amount? If vlandys hasn’t already sold streaming rights to kayo exclusively we could see the emerging streaming battle take some games? Looks like sport could be an important battle ground in next couple of years for streaming in Australia, I really hope he hasn’t signed us up to 5 years exclusively kayo.

if nine wanted to reduce their costs we could see 2 or 3 fta games a week at lower cost but not exclusive and streamed via a different service maybe? Or origin not exclusive to fta.

https://www.channelnews.com.au/is-amazon-prime-getting-set-to-bid-for-afl-rights/

tri_colours

Juniors

Yes weve heard it all before, but it appears we finally have some one with a bit more pluck running the show.

be interesting how much content has to be on fta? Is it a certain amount? If vlandys hasn’t already sold streaming rights to kayo exclusively we could see the emerging streaming battle take some games? Looks like sport could be an important battle ground in next couple of years for streaming in Australia, I really hope he hasn’t signed us up to 5 years exclusively kayo.

if nine wanted to reduce their costs we could see 2 or 3 fta games a week at lower cost but not exclusive and streamed via a different service maybe? Or origin not exclusive to fta.

https://www.channelnews.com.au/is-amazon-prime-getting-set-to-bid-for-afl-rights/
I think the anti-siphoning list stipulates that 3 games per week during the regular season have to be on FTA plus all finals, Test matches involving Australia and Origin.

Heisenberg

Juniors
I think the anti-siphoning list stipulates that 3 games per week during the regular season have to be on FTA plus all finals, Test matches involving Australia and Origin.

the list is below. Suitably vague.

‘5 Rugby league football

(1) Each match in the National Rugby League Premiership competition (including the Finals Series).

(2) Each match in the National Rugby League State of Origin Series.

(3) Each international rugby league test match that:

(a) involves the senior Australian representative team; and

(b) is played in Australia or New Zealand.

(4) Each match of the Rugby League World Cup that:

(a) involves the senior Australian representative team; and

(b) is played in Australia, New Zealand or Papua New Guinea.’
source:
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017C00987/Html/Text

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Rep games should absolutely be split off. You want 3 of the consistently top rating events? Pay for it. Part of the contract should be a bunch of contra for heavy promotion of internationals as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL is budgeting for a profit next year and has told clubs it is expecting the Seven, Nine and Ten networks to all be involved in the battle for league’s free-to-air rights in the next broadcast cycle.
ARLC chairman Peter V’landys and NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo addressed all 16 clubs on Friday morning to go through the figures. As part of the briefing, the franchises were given an insight into last year’s broadcast rights renegotiations between Nine and Fox due to the impact of the coronavirus outbreak.

The clubs were told Ten were not in a position to make a bid, while Seven’s offer was only half that of Nine. Further, Seven was seeking a revenue-share model rather than a guaranteed sum, making it a less enticing proposal than the bid from the incumbent free-to-air provider.

Talks had also been held with ‘disruptors’ such as Netflix and Google, but they too were pursuing revenue-share arrangements. Those options were ultimately dismissed because the NRL would have also been required to wear the $50 million production costs that Nine and Fox currently absorb.

The clubs were told that free-to-air negotiations would commence this year and that there was a chance of three bidders providing competitive tension. However, Seven’s involvement could be contingent on whether it could extricate itself from its current agreement to broadcast the cricket.

The NRL’s deal with Fox, which provides 66 per cent of broadcast revenue, doesn’t lapse until 2027. The agreement with Nine, publishers of this masthead, ends in 2022.

The clubs were told the NRL would balance the potential extra revenue it could generate through subscription services with the need to reach as many viewers as possible on free-to-air channels in concluding the next deal.

www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-preparing-to-get-back-in-the-black-as-tv-talks-ramp-up-20210226-p5768c.html

taipan

Referee
The point made, that whilst revenue is of the utmost importance for sustainability, the ability to expose the game to larger numbers of viewers must also play its part.If that means a reduction in revenue in doing so, and new viewers are exposed,we cannot complain about a less than expected revenue.
To me that is a logical and commercially wise approach.
Having all our eggs in one weathered, uninterested basket(aka ch9) with a pensionable commentator and a negative whining sidekick, has done little to grow the game.They need a Bunsen burner up their a*ses.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
The point made, that whilst revenue is of the utmost importance for sustainability, the ability to expose the game to larger numbers of viewers must also play its part.If that means a reduction in revenue in doing so, and new viewers are exposed,we cannot complain about a less than expected revenue.
To me that is a logical and commercially wise approach.
Having all our eggs in one weathered, uninterested basket(aka ch9) with a pensionable commentator and a negative whining sidekick, has done little to grow the game.They need a Bunsen burner up their a*ses.
100%. Nein has always taken league for granted and barely supported our game with pathetic promotion and sub standard coverage. Their treatment of the NRL when covid hit was disgraceful as well. Compare it with how Seven have treated AFL over the last decade.

Use Nein as leverage and nothing more. $100-200mil less over 5 years wont matter when we have a partner that will promote the game.

taipan

Referee
So they(AFL)included SOO/Tests/etc,no team in N.Z to draw a real comparison with the NRL Oh wait.
What they have to offer, that's it,SFA cream on the cake.
I'll wait till the deal with Nein is concluded, instead of surmising or predicting.
AFL bloody good,NRL bad ,bad Leroy Brown, hiding figures from fans.

colly

Juniors
Afl results. They felt no need to hide the figures from the fans!
Tv revenue and media down $53.3million

(cash)
expected revenue $405.3million
Actual $352.6million
Reduction 13%
View attachment 46502

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...446d-ab53-2614ffd88a00/2020-Annual-Report.pdf
So what- if you had been paying attention or looking the NRL gave 27.5m discount to nine for years 2021 2022 for sure and 30m to foxtel for a gran total 57.5m . So the AFL gave Seven a discount of 23.3m which has been written about. Foxtel it seems got the same at 30m, for a gran total of 53m.( AFL)
Notice the AFL media is in their figures with Roy saying.. 345m-media only which could go marginally lower but we accept it . At least if we get over 150m from free to air(s) the NRL will have a bigger /better/more money deal than AFL. Again if we clear over 150 with free to air , I almost forgot the 20m NZ Sky, So we only ned to clear over 135m Free To Air (AUS) the NRL will have highest media deal, which starts at the end of next year. Also the AFL won't be able to sell online right(s) meaning more than one, like the NRL, maybe a side deal with Amazon Prime for 25m could be in the offering. Any which way you cut it, soon the NRL will now have a bigger media deal than the AFL. Take that to the bank.