What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
you're not very bright are you ?

there won't be more rounds , well maybe 1 making 26.
26 rounds , but on the old bye rounds around origin where we only had 4 games , we will have 6 7 & 8 games , still only 3 on FTA

is there anything else you need help with ?
oh wow
what a stupid question .. I mean, where would we start lol
So you’re saying in the extra round there’ll be no fta games?
only 2 rounds are currently bye rounds for origin so if they become full rounds there’s still 4 games to fit in somewhere? (Current bye rounds are 3 games fta 1 game exclusive fox)

isn’t it more likely they’ll make the current two bye rounds 6 games (3. Fta 3 fox) and add in an extra full round and make the third origin round 6 games?
That would mean of the 12 new games 3 would be on fta and 9 exclusive to Fox.

Why so insulting, it’s xmas lol.

So you’re saying in the extra round there’ll be no fta games?
only 2 rounds are currently bye rounds for origin so if they become full rounds there’s still 4 games to fit in somewhere? (Current bye rounds are 3 games fta 1 game exclusive fox)

isn’t it more likely they’ll make the current two bye rounds 6 games (3. Fta 3 fox) and add in an extra full round and make the third origin round 6 games?
That would mean of the 12 new games 3 would be on fta and 9 exclusive to Fox.

Why so insulting, it’s xmas lol.
just because its xmas doesn't mean you're no less an idiot
where did i say or suggest there'd be no fta games in any round ...haha

you were insinuating its not possible for all 12 games to go to foxtel
which is utterly ludicrous
of course they can , & probably will. But regardless , whoever gets them will be paying the approx 2 mill per game to telecast them per year.
An extra 125 mill to the codes bottom line

i remember someone on here saying a17th team couldn't add any value to the media rights deal
who was that again ?

oh yea

you 😎

Perth Red

Post Whore
I never said that, I said it wouldn’t be “as“ valuable as an extra game that going to 18 would be worth, and I’ve been proven right. Especially when the sale seems to have been more about news ltd choosing which club they wanted and getting broncos off fta to flog more kayo subs in Brisbane, rather than value of the extra content.

and. I quote “Ch 9 aren't getting anymore games in 2023 despite the comp increasing by 12 games” which you posted last page!

so you’re now conceding that the 12 games won’t be exclusive to fox, finally you’re beginning to understand! Given fox will simucast all games of course they will show the extra 12, but it’s highly improbable that none of them will be on fta.

Again the expansion value is somewhere between $15-20million a year from fox According to all Reports.

I never said that, I said it wouldn’t be “as“ valuable as an extra game that going to 18 would be worth, and I’ve been proven right. Especially when the sale seems to have been more about news ltd choosing which club they wanted and getting broncos off fta to flog more kayo subs in Brisbane, rather than value of the extra content.

and. I quote “Ch 9 aren't getting anymore games in 2023 despite the comp increasing by 12 games” which you posted last page!

so you’re now conceding that the 12 games won’t be exclusive to fox, finally you’re beginning to understand! Given fox will simucast all games of course they will show the extra 12, but it’s highly improbable that none of them will be on fta.

Again the expansion value is somewhere between $15-20million a year from fox According to all Reports.
hahaha

BS
you said you couldn't see how 17 teams would increase the deal at all
it did
you were wrong again

& Im not conceding anything dopey , foxtel will most likely get all the extra 12 games ( which you said was impossible lol ) exclusive

the expansion value with foxtels contributive set up 100 million towards the new franchise comes in at 45 mill a year
awesome coin for our game
well done pvl
well done

Perth Red

Post Whore
hahaha

BS
you said you couldn't see how 17 teams would increase the deal at all
it did
you were wrong again

& Im not conceding anything dopey , foxtel will most likely get all the extra 12 games ( which you said was impossible lol ) exclusive

the expansion value with foxtels contributive set up 100 million towards the new franchise comes in at 45 mill a year
awesome coin for our game
well done pvl
well done

rubbish, I’d go back and show you your wrong again but tbh I can’t be arsed. It’s lost the fun it’s happened so often.

How can they get all 12 exclusive unless there is a round without any fta? Please explain how the draw will work if they are to get all 12 exclusively. I’m all ears!

again with the bs set up nonsense. Are you honestly saying you believe fox has given the dolphins $100mill to get set up? Redcliffe must be rolling in it! You’ve got rocks in your head lol

rubbish, I’d go back and show you your wrong again but tbh I can’t be arsed. It’s lost the fun it’s happened so often.

How can they get all 12 exclusive unless there is a round without any fta? Please explain how the draw will work if they are to get all 12 exclusively. I’m all ears!

again with the bs set up nonsense. Are you honestly saying you believe fox has given the dolphins $100mill to get set up? Redcliffe must be rolling in it! You’ve got rocks in your head lol
ffs
bye rounds ,
2 rounds x 2 games , just 2 exclusive to foxtel 1 each round

bye rounds
1 x 6 games 3 to foxtel exclusive
1 x 7 games 4 to foxtel exclusive

i extra round with 5 exclusive games
i make that 12 extra lol

reports said clearly its an arrangement between the NRL & Foxtel , separate from the media rights deal
arrangement dummy

but stay in this position , it suits you
unnamed.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
ffs
bye rounds ,
2 rounds x 2 games , just 2 exclusive to foxtel 1 each round

bye rounds
1 x 6 games 3 to foxtel exclusive
1 x 7 games 4 to foxtel exclusive

i extra round with 5 exclusive games
i make that 12 extra lol

reports said clearly its an arrangement between the NRL & Foxtel , separate from the media rights deal
arrangement dummy
So now you’re saying there could be a round with no fta games, make your fricking mind up!

TGG

Juniors
17 team comp with 25 rounds with 3 games on FTA per round excluding finals = 75 FTA games

18 team comp with 26 rounds with 3 games on FTA per round excluding finals = 78 FTA games.

Sorry I felt like someone had to break that down so simply for some on here.

So now you’re saying there could be a round with no fta games, make your fricking mind up!
where hahaha?

what kind of a mong are you
in 2023 there will be 24 full rounds of 8 games with 3 fta games per round
2 origin bye rounds with 3 fta per round too

stop drinking metho

Perth Red

Post Whore
where hahaha?

what kind of a mong are you
in 2023 there will be 24 full rounds of 8 games with 3 fta games per round
2 origin bye rounds with 3 fta per round too

stop drinking metho
In most likelihood it will be 3 fta games 9 exclusive fox games, which is what I’ve been saying all along.

There’s a few different ways they can incorporate the new games into the draw and it will be interesting to see how they do it. For me having 3 bye affected rounds around origin and one extra round would seem a good way.

“mong“, really? not insulting to people with a disability at all.

Have to offer something different to the broadcasters etc - need to get an 18th team and expand to 20 teams.

Don't see the point of adding more teams and having the same draw format which is favourable or unfavourable - the hard or easy draw debate and you don't play all teams twice or the same teams which you would do in a conference or division system.

18 team comp - 2 conferences of 9 teams - play each team once and teams in your conference twice -25 games - no matter what conference a team is in they play the same teams the same number of times.

Top 10 cross over finals series - top 4 from each conferences plus 2 teams from the wild card play offs - team 5 vs 6 from each conference.

20 team comp - 4 conferences or divisions of 5 teams- play each team once and teams in your conference or division twice - 23 games - no matter what conference or division a team is in they play the same team's the same number of times.

12 team finals series - top 3 from each conference or division - Conference or Division winners have a bye first week and play second week 1 vs 1's - winners to week 4 and losers to week 3 - 2 vs 3 in cross over finals series in first week - 4 winners advance to week 2 -the 2 winners of those games to week 3 to play losers of 1 v 1 and so on

20 team comp including 2nd NZ team/5th QLD team and Central Coast

Conference A - Roosters/ Souths/Manly/Central Coast /Bulldogs
Conference B - Dragons/Sharks/Bulldogs/Parra/Penrith/Wests Tigers
Conference C - Storm/Raiders/Newcastle/Warriors/Second NZ team
Conference D - Broncos/Cows/Titans/Dolphins/ Another QLD team

20 team comp including 2nd NZ team/5th QLD team and Perth

Conference A - Roosters/ Souths/Manly/Bulldogs/Newcastle
Conference B - Dragons/Sharks/Parra/Penrith/Wests Tigers
Conference C - Storm/Raiders/Perth/Warriors/Second NZ team
Conference D - Broncos/Cows/Titans/Dolphins/ Another QLD team

None of this oh x have to travel more - The travel is very very very minimal compared to sporting comps overseas - various Football leagues / MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL etc and after all they aren't driving or walking they are flying or on a bus.

Teams in C and D travel 12 times a year normally in any case

Last edited:
i wouldn't have any more then 8 sides in the playoffs the top 2 in each conference , otherwise its an exercise in mediocrity
but i hate conferences anyway

there can be weak conferences & strong ones
meaning the 3rd best side in a strong conference misses out while the 2nd best in a weak conference makes it through to the playoffs.

The draw can be set up just exactly as above , but...
theres one competition table & the best 8 performed on it , play finals

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Nine confirmed:

NRL and Nine sign new broadcast deal through to 2027​

National Rugby League | December 20 2021 5:51PM

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has reached a new free to air broadcast agreement with Nine Entertainment which will see the NRL Telstra Premiership, Telstra NRLW Premiership and Ampol State of Origin broadcast on Nine until at least the end of the 2027 season.

The new partnership, from 2023-2027, includes;

• A joint commitment to grow and promote the game from grassroots participation to the elite level across all of Nine's media platforms.
  • A focus on broadcast innovation and presentation of the game for fans.
  • Nine retaining the exclusive live broadcast rights of the NRL Telstra Premierships Grand Finals Day and the Ampol State of Origin Series. All three Origin games will be played on Wednesday nights.
  • Nine continuing to broadcast a live Telstra Premiership game on Thursday and Friday nights as well as Sunday afternoons and a Saturday night game for the final five rounds prior to the commencement of the Finals Series.
  • Nine radio continuing to broadcast rugby league via Radio 2GB and 4BC.
The game's three television broadcast partners, Nine, Fox Sports and Sky TV New Zealand have now all agreed to new partnerships and increased commitments until the end of the 2027 season, with a record total media rights revenue for the game in excess of $400m per annum.

ARLC Chairman Peter V'landys AM said the new deal was a strong outcome for fans, the game's clubs and players. He said the agreement would take advantage of Nine having multiple media platforms.

"Today is an exciting day for our fans with the free to air broadcast deal of the NRL Telstra Premiership, NRLW and Ampol State of Origin locked in until the end of 2027. This is more than a broadcast deal, it's a partnership to grow rugby league using all of Nine's media platforms - television, radio and print," he said.

"It was a priority for the Commission to secure the long term future of the game. In doing so it was important to ensure that a long term partnership reflected the Commission's desire to grow the game at all levels, to invest in innovation and to ensure we have a partner that can help grow the game from participation to pathway competitions and premierships.

"I want to thank Nine Chairman Peter Costello and Chief Executive Mike Sneesby for their commitment to rugby league and loyalty to our game, the most watched sport in Australia this year.

"Nine has been a loyal partner for 30 years and I'm delighted that that partnership will continue until at least 2027.

"The Commission has now secured increased commitments from all three broadcast partners until the end of the 2027 season. These long term deals highlight the strength of our game and the confidence broadcasters have in investing in rugby league.

"Broadcast deals generate the largest revenue for our game and having all three broadcasters committed until 2027, at a record level for the game, provides long term financial certainty to invest and plan for the game's future and the futures of our clubs."

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the extended partnership ensured fans across Australia would continue to have access to the NRL's biggest games.

"We're committed to ensuring our fans right across Australia continue to have access to our biggest games live on free to air television and streaming platforms. We are also looking forward to working closely with Nine to create innovative ways to enhance the viewing experience and take fans watching at home inside our venues to experience the tribalism at our games,'' he said.

"Part of this deal is ensuring we work together to grow the game and provide greater exposure to all levels of rugby league across a variety of media platforms. That's an exciting outcome for our fans and our participants."

Peter Costello, Nine Chairman, said: "This is a major deal for our business to bring this exciting sport to the Australian public across our platforms. The negotiation has been constructive and in the spirit of partnership across our businesses and we thank the NRL for the positive engagement in the process for an outcome that benefits all Australians and fans of the game."

Mike Sneesby, CEO of Nine, said: "We are very pleased to have locked in our 30-year partnership with the NRL for a further five years. This certainty will enable both Nine and the NRL to further develop the game for the clubs and the broader NRL community. This is an outstanding result and enables us to participate in a strong media partnership delivering quality, and free, NRL coverage for all Australians for the next 6 years."

Latest posts