What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
What about if the deal was they simulcast one Saturday night game - the 7pm game and in return they get to simulcast state of origin.
That would work, but cant see FTA agreeing to that given streaming/ptv numbers are now greater than FTA.
Only hope of weekly Sat nights is 22 clubs OR someone getting the rights that has FTA and Streaming together such as Stan/Ch9 or Paramount/Ch10. All while News has the streaming they want to keep exclusivity of Sat to drive subscriptions.

docbrown

Coach
The NRL will be conscious about what has happened to other sports when they've disappeared too far behind the paywall, so I'd imagine a 9th game will end up equating to a 4th FTA game. There's multiple ways of negotiating it too.

Also, if 9/Stan gets everything, then you could end up seeing some 5 FTA game rounds (like Easter, ANZAC Day) as there is less reason to restrict them as it's not against a competitor.

Finally, I'd be placing a big question mark over Channel 10 for the future. There's multiple take over and restructuring offers for Paramount. The latest is from Apollo Global which is actually a big mindboggling if you look closely at the details. Either way, they're in a bit of a holding pattern until we know what happens with CBS and if it's spun off or kept in the Paramount group.

Last edited:

NRLMad

Juniors
The nrl needs to be smart with the next 2 sides, obviously the AFL will want to go to 20. What is their plan for 20? We should announce 18, 19 & 20. 18 with a launch date of 2026-27 plus others as 2030 and 2034.

options should only be:
- Perth/Nths
- PNG/Qld
- NZ 2

I would be announcing NZ2 or PNG first as they are easy wins - no real issues for the game

Bukowski

Juniors
The nrl needs to be smart with the next 2 sides, obviously the AFL will want to go to 20. What is their plan for 20? We should announce 18, 19 & 20. 18 with a launch date of 2026-27 plus others as 2030 and 2034.

options should only be:
- Perth/Nths
- PNG/Qld
- NZ 2

I would be announcing NZ2 or PNG first as they are easy wins - no real issues for the game
I think we'll get to 20 quicker than that. Maybe team 18 in 2026 then the other 2 together in 2028. Vlandys likes to get things moving quick

Perth Red

Post Whore
Depends on length of tv deals.
current one runs till end of 2027
if all goes to form then next one will got to end of 2032.

Potentially we’ll see
club 18 2027
club 19 2029
club 20 2031/2

if the nrl can get tv to pay for it I expect we’ll be at 20 clubs by 2032.

Wb1234

Referee
What about if the deal was they simulcast one Saturday night game - the 7pm game and in return they get to simulcast state of origin.
No way

fox getting to show origin would be worth loads of money maybe ten million pa no way they get it for free in

Jetka100

Juniors
When the NRL goes to 18 teams, I can’t see Fox worrying too much if FTA picked up another game on Saturday night. They would still have 5 exclusive games and I don’t think they feel FTA is that much of a threat these days to their subscriber numbers. It certainly hasn’t affected the AFL deals. PVL knows the main game is subscriber services going forward but also knows the importance of good FTA coverage as well. A Saturday night game on FTA would also be the final nail in the coffin for Super Rugby.

Canard

Immortal
When the NRL goes to 18 teams, I can’t see Fox worrying too much if FTA picked up another game on Saturday night. They would still have 5 exclusive games and I don’t think they feel FTA is that much of a threat these days to their subscriber numbers. It certainly hasn’t affected the AFL deals. PVL knows the main game is subscriber services going forward but also knows the importance of good FTA coverage as well. A Saturday night game on FTA would also be the final nail in the coffin for Super Rugby.
Foxtel has exclusive Saturday rights from the start of their new TV deal, it's one of the reasons they paid so much.

They have essentially mirrored their NRL Super Saturday model, as it clearly drives subscribers.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
AFL has exclusive Saturday rights from the start of their new TV deal, it's one of the reasons they paid so much.

They have essentially mirrored their NRL Super Saturday model, as it clearly drives subscribers.
Only for the first 8 rounds.

The_Wookie

Bench
Where have you seen this?

A new Super Saturday will see Fox Footy air every Saturday match (marquee games like Anzac Day excluded) exclusively through the opening eight rounds of the season.

Fox Footy’s own commentary team will be available on every game from 2025.

Every single AFL and AFLW home and away match, final (excluding the Grand Final) and pre-season game will be aired on Fox Footy, as under the previous deal.

"All roads are leading Network Ten and its parent company, Paramount Global, towards new ownership and who the successful party might be just got a little clearer this week.

"It could also turn the tide in Paramount’s favour locally, with HBO content set to exit Foxtel traditional services and Binge next year with the launch of Max, as well as breathing life into Paramount’s ability to compete for sports content locally."

We can only hope.

Perth Red

Post Whore

"All roads are leading Network Ten and its parent company, Paramount Global, towards new ownership and who the successful party might be just got a little clearer this week.

"It could also turn the tide in Paramount’s favour locally, with HBO content set to exit Foxtel traditional services and Binge next year with the launch of Max, as well as breathing life into Paramount’s ability to compete for sports content locally."

We can only hope.
Please make it so! Nothing would be more pleasing than RL pissing off news ltd forever more!