What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Comp Structure

Why?

Wasn't the case for cowboys, crushers or titans.

This is literally what the club wants. What's the issue?
those 3 clubs didnt have wayne bennett as their coach and the searing hatred that now exists between him & the broncos.
the build up to that first game will be epic simply because of this & needs to explode in the dolphins first game ever in the NRL.
Some obscure link ( obscure for most fans anyway ) between the roosters & dolphins would be an insipid start compared to the cross town rivals kicking the 2023 season off

Valheru

Coach
those 3 clubs didnt have wayne bennett as their coach and the searing hatred that now exists between him & the broncos.
the build up to that first game will be epic simply because of this & needs to explode in the dolphins first game ever in the NRL.
Some obscure link ( obscure for most fans anyway ) between the roosters & dolphins would be an insipid start compared to the cross town rivals kicking the 2023 season off

So it would sell just as well 2 weeks later?

Again, despite the very good point you make, the dolphins want to start against the roosters. Why shouldn't they get what they want?

So it would sell just as well 2 weeks later?

Again, despite the very good point you make, the dolphins want to start against the roosters. Why shouldn't they get what they want?
The game V the Roosters will also be well received 2 weeks later & the Dolphins have said they're not that fussed & it would be nice but , they'll play whoever so The NRL will make the decision. It'll be the Broncos

I also think the dolphins are already stirring the pot saying they'd prefer to play the roosters as a back hander to the broncos

eh.. we wanna play someone good 😉

haha
touche ......

No, right now half the teams are outside Sydney. Under this suggested conference system you would only play 4 games outside of Sydney.
I appreciate that and I’m not trying to cause an argument but look at the realities of what has been happening for a number of years. I haven’t done the analysis, but we all know that the draw is (I wouldn’t go as far as saying rigged but) optimised for TV purposes. It looks to maximise the amount of local games to help generate interest. I think that means that most Sydney teams would play at least 6 Sydney away game a year, and I would imagine some of the older teams probably have more than that. So going to 8 a year wouldn’t be a huge jump.

It wouldn’t really impact the teams that are most distant (NZ, NQLD and MEL) because they already travel every other week anyway (except at the margin where it guarantees they need to play each other, particularly the Warrior and QLD which is a long trip).

The two teams that are most screwed by this are Newcastle and Canberra. But even for them, if the NRL put on charter flights from local airports the trip to Brisbane or Melbourne (even with the faf at the other end) is probably similar to a coach trip to Parramatta or Belmore, and much quicker than a coach trip to Manly or Cronulla depending on what direction you are coming from.

I’d like the Dolphins to get a few games under their belt before they meet the Broncos to hopefully make a game of it. New clubs don’t do too well in season one. Leaving it a few weeks would build anticipation as well.

thatfatkid

Juniors
Bring in a 3rd "Brisbane" expansion team (aka Toowoomba/Ipswich Corridor) and split the comp into 2 x 9 team conferences.

Conferences are divvied up as:

Conf 1: Teams which ranked in odd positions in the previous years comp (1/3/5/etc)
Conf 2: Teams which ranked in even positions in the previous years comp (2/4/6/etc)

Teams in the same conference play each other twice and in the other conference once = 26 rounds (1 bye)

I’d like the Dolphins to get a few games under their belt before they meet the Broncos to hopefully make a game of it. New clubs don’t do too well in season one. Leaving it a few weeks would build anticipation as well.
the anticipated roster being talked about for the dolphins will be a borderline finalist in year one , & the broncos are rubbish atm & will be barely better then rubbish by 2023.

The fins by 18 for mine haha

The anticipation has already started
it will be palpable by rnd 1 2023

A first round against the Broncos will arguably be the biggest club game in NRL history since 1998.

I dunno @baselinepanther. I believe in keeping your powder dry. There’ll already be anticipation for their debut game anyway and then the anticipation for the Broncos clash. Two opportunities for big crowds. Why blow it all in one game in round one?
Ive eluded to the special circumstances surrounding this game , theres anticipation & then
theres anticipation . A round one game against the Roosters just isn't the start it could be or should be

dry powder can be kept for future years
year one game one
Its the Broncos , it shouldn't be anyone else.

ReddFelon

Juniors
I dunno @baselinepanther. I believe in keeping your powder dry. There’ll already be anticipation for their debut game anyway and then the anticipation for the Broncos clash. Two opportunities for big crowds. Why blow it all in one game in round one?
I mean it is the NRL, they gave the opening of the NQ Stadium Broncos v Cowboys in a round 1 game. Admittedly that worked out solely because we had the Covid delayed season, but in normal circumstances an absolute waste.

Sime_11

Juniors
Dolphins v Sharks for the Underwater Cup

stadium needs to be flooded/underwater for desired effect :p

Latest posts