What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

t-ba

Post Whore
That game should never not be played at the SFS.

Haven't been to Accor since the Roni and Jesus Christ does 40k in there suck compared to 20k at the SFS. Even Brookie with the new Stand has a better atmosphere.

Hate to be that guy but our one negative or area we can work on for 2024 is getting the highest individual crowd in Sydney.

Swines fans won't shut up about the 41k against Melbourne being the biggest individual club attendance of any code in the city

Still that is the only negative I can find this year. We are breaking records left right and centre!
I was disappointed in last night’s attendance figure too but it does show the progress we’ve made when we’re disappointed with 36k between two teams that have largely been trash.

APPSY

Juniors
Accor should genuinely only be used for Prelims and the GF. There's even a case for it to be used for certain 'marquee' games, or if games are exceeding ticketed expectations, have transport organised via both clubs on game day to help fans get to and from.
100% we would have gotten 4k more if it was at SFS, and we'd currently be at 100,000 for the first 3 games.

t-ba

Post Whore
I was disappointed in last night’s attendance figure too but it does show the progress we’ve made when we’re disappointed with 36k between two teams that have largely been trash.

We also lucked out a bit with 16k rocking up to Brookie to watch two even more trash teams so Sydney managed 50k+ for four sides unlikely to feature in the finals on a Friday night.

Accor should genuinely only be used for Prelims and the GF. There's even a case for it to be used for certain 'marquee' games, or if games are exceeding ticketed expectations, have transport organised via both clubs on game day to help fans get to and from.
100% we would have gotten 4k more if it was at SFS, and we'd currently be at 100,000 for the first 3 games.

I was surprised to read that there were only two express trains from Central to Olympic Park for the game last night. I think Sydney Metro West (when eventually delivered) will revolutionise access to Sydney Olympic Park and the effort that goes with having to catch multiple trains (even from the city) will be superseded by a 15 min trip on the metro, that will get you from parts of the northern city centre to Sydney Olympic Park even quicker than Moore Park.

Valheru

Coach
Souths and Roosters have been fighting in the top 8 and for a premiership since 2014.

When is the last time the Eels and Dogs where both in the top 8 at the same time fighting for a premiership.

Its either the Eels are up (last 4 years) or dogs are up, rarely since the early 2000's are they both fighting for the prem at the same time.

Where as the Chooks and Souths have had a good 10 years at the top.

Context is everything.

The dogs and Eels compete very well in that context.

And imo if we had the same situation as the chooks and Rabbitohs (constant finals + 3 premierships last 10 years) our crowds would be much larger than the current Roosters v Souths games.

Yeah so I keep hearing but it never eventuates.

I have no doubt the 2 clubs could get 40k to a regular season game under the right circumstances and if they had a Goldilocks game like roosters/souths 2013 for the MP they may well eclipse the 60k that got.

To suggest they would get "much larger" crowds than the recent roosters/souths ones on a regular basis is pie in the sky stuff for me.

SouthsCountry

Juniors
You're always that guy and its always fumbleball.

Definitely a trend.
Always been a harsh critic, and wanted a rock solid argument at the pub given I grew up in AFL heartland and was constantly forced to defend my fandom of rugby league.

Last night I was hoping for 50k so bad, but when I looked across from my level 4 east seat to level 6 west and saw no one, I knew at that point it was going to fall well short.

On a side note, @SLRBRONCOS said that middle stadium tiers are underrated, and they most definitely are! Great view, not so great game from a Souths perspective...

We also lucked out a bit with 16k rocking up to Brookie to watch two even more trash teams so Sydney managed 50k+ for four sides unlikely to feature in the finals on a Friday night.
That's two games and four teams written off as trash. Any more?

If the 50k+ follow this forum, they'll know better next time.

blukablu

Juniors
Dolphins vs Warriors are close to 40k pre-sold. Stadium members will probably drag the crowd down to 36-38k.

I reckon stadium members will turn out for this game.

It was as dead as I've ever seen it in level 5 on Thursday. No games for months because of the FIFA World Cup. Only this game and 2 finals games left for the NRL season. No Wallabies games because of the RWC. Would be a massive waste if they don't show up.

Suitman

Post Whore
I was surprised to read that there were only two express trains from Central to Olympic Park for the game last night. I think Sydney Metro West (when eventually delivered) will revolutionise access to Sydney Olympic Park and the effort that goes with having to catch multiple trains (even from the city) will be superseded by a 15 min trip on the metro, that will get you from parts of the northern city centre to Sydney Olympic Park even quicker than Moore Park.

Good to see the Skyscraper City coming through here. :)