What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

bazza

Immortal
The NRL could start by subsidies for attendance.
If souths for instance average 17k this year at x amount profit, you are subsidised for any loss of profit that comes with a higher attendance.
So if you drop your prices or give away free tickets you can't loss money.
It'll cost the NRL but increase the quality of the product at the end of the day and pay dividends in the end.
I think the NRL should have a subsidy scheme for unpopular match times e.g. Thursday and Friday 6PM
The club should make available say 5 - 10k tickets (depending on venue) for just $10 and the NRL should pay the club another $10 for each of those tickets sold. Make the tickets only available for pre-purchase up to a day before the game to get the sales up before the game

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I think the NRL should have a subsidy scheme for unpopular match times e.g. Thursday and Friday 6PM
The club should make available say 5 - 10k tickets (depending on venue) for just $10 and the NRL should pay the club another $10 for each of those tickets sold. Make the tickets only available for pre-purchase up to a day before the game to get the sales up before the game
This is a great idea

yakstorm

First Grade
The rain has so far stayed away from Parramatta and hopefully it stays that way until people are in the ground at least.

Eels are talking up the potential crowd in their previews / match day guides / etc and there are some positive indicators around sales on Ticketek (ie. Extra bays have been opened up for GA North, Gold Tickets are selling into the back 5 rows on the second level, etc).

Hopefully that means 20K, though Thursday's do hurt member attendance.

Perth Red

Post Whore
To watch a game properly, you have to watch it on TV 🤷‍♂️ commentary, slow motion replays , injury updates , substitute updates... heck I even pause it to go to the toilet.
All that from the comfort of my lounge at the press of a button.
Or
Go to the game, get ready, organise someone else who wants to go, drive, park, then catch a train, walk to the stadium, find gate.. find seat , then after all that unless you pay through the nose, you spend most of the time looking at a big screen ( TV !) to see what's going on.
So hat's off to the people who go !!

So yes we need more incentive for people to make that effort! I think that's part of the idea of a reserve grade, so you can at least make a bit of a day of it.

I'm going to the Dolphins vs Broncos because the atmosphere of 50k will beat any TV coverage!
If we can create a scenario where we can consistently assume a good crowd.. then we'll always get a big crowd.. funny how that works hey 🤔

A mate of mine told me once that back in the day AFL was just a dollar, so everyone just went to the game.. had a great atmosphere, then there's nowhere else you'd want to watch a game and so on.

South should have given everyone who paid their money back and made it a free event to honour Satler - would have been full!

The NRL could start by subsidies for attendance.
If souths for instance average 17k this year at x amount profit, you are subsidised for any loss of profit that comes with a higher attendance.
So if you drop your prices or give away free tickets you can't loss money.
It'll cost the NRL but increase the quality of the product at the end of the day and pay dividends in the end.
Dont get me wrong, NRL and its clubs are incredibly lazy when it comes to maximising attendances and memberships. There's so much more they COULD be doing. That it isnt seen as a priority still baffles me. But if price is your main concern become a full member and price isnt an issue anymore, its very reasonable for most clubs.

Only clubs Ive seen do anything are Storm last year with their 3 game free memberships to NRLVIC players and Parra with their free child membership with every adult GA membership. Going to games is a habit and full stadiums as said generate bigger and bigger crowds. More active fans spend more money, bigger crowds get better stadium deals and attract bigger sponsors and so it goes on. We have lots of barriers (ko times, game scheduling, state of some grounds, win or nothing mentality etc) to overcome and it will take effort to get 20k crowds on a regular basis but it is eminently doable, unless NRL really isnt as popular as we like to think.

Billythekid

First Grade

This is a great idea
Ehhhh i'm not sure I agree with that. Getting to play the big matches on FTA has huge potential benefits for clubs. Clubs like the Broncos who dominate FTA coverage reap huge financial benefits as a result. You could just as easily make an argument that the clubs who miss out on these games deserve compensation more than the clubs getting Thursday night games.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Ehhhh i'm not sure I agree with that. Getting to play the big matches on FTA has huge potential benefits for clubs. Clubs like the Broncos who dominate FTA coverage reap huge financial benefits as a result. You could just as easily make an argument that the clubs who miss out on these games deserve compensation more than the clubs getting Thursday night games.
I'm not disputing that teams that feature on FTA matchups reap commercial benefits through avenues other than ticket sales. But, when we look at the product as a whole, an empty stadium diminishes it - IMO at least, and I'm sure most sports fans would agree.

@bazza's suggestion is a good way to drag a few thousand in the gates, which looks and sounds a whole lot better on the tele and lessens any negative impact on a home club that's drawn a poor time slot (attendance wise).

Suitman

Post Whore
The rain has so far stayed away from Parramatta and hopefully it stays that way until people are in the ground at least.

More than likely that there will be some severe storms this afternoon/evening in the Sydney Basin.
This will almost certainly affect tonight's crowd.

1679543637047.png

yakstorm

First Grade
I'm not disputing that teams that feature on FTA matchups reap commercial benefits through avenues other than ticket sales. But, when we look at the product as a whole, an empty stadium diminishes it - IMO at least, and I'm sure most sports fans would agree.

@bazza's suggestion is a good way to drag a few thousand in the gates, which looks and sounds a whole lot better on the tele and lessens any negative impact on a home club that's drawn a poor time slot (attendance wise).

Agree and not all 'difficult' timeslots are on FTA either. Arguably 6pm Friday and 6:15pm on Sunday are poor for crowds and also don't come with the FTA benefit that 8pm Thursday has.

The subsidy scheme would focus on getting bums on seats in those timeslots, so for example next Friday's Raiders v Panthers game at 6pm, instead of tickets starting at Adult $35 and $25 for Juniors (and $95 for Families), they could possibly do $40 or $50 family tickets without the Raiders having to cop all the loss of income.

The NRL did a scaled down version almost a decade back for Sunday afternoons, where they had the Sunday FunDays and they had a $40 family ticket. The clubs hosting the match would receive a subsidy for each ticket sold at the cheaper price point which was relative to what they normally charge for that timeslot and capped based upon average number of family tickets the club would sell for games like that.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Clubs already get that subsidy, its $5million in an $18million grant! Sadly the clubs are not passing it on. Instead of the NRL just giving clubs yet more money to pss up the wall there should have been some strings attached.

There should be a $25 GA kids full membership at every club
There should be a $5 entry for kids at every game
There should be reciprocal or discount entry for full members of all clubs to any game
Every registered RL jnr should get a 2 free vouchers to a game of their choosing
Clubs who can still perform crowd wise in the crap slots should be given a grant payment bonus to fill those slots
Games should never KO later than 7.30pm
Big ticket games like Eels v Panthers should ALWAYS be in the most fan friendly slots

So much that could be done

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Agree and not all 'difficult' timeslots are on FTA either. Arguably 6pm Friday and 6:15pm on Sunday are poor for crowds and also don't come with the FTA benefit that 8pm Thursday has.

The subsidy scheme would focus on getting bums on seats in those timeslots, so for example next Friday's Raiders v Panthers game at 6pm, instead of tickets starting at Adult $35 and $25 for Juniors (and $95 for Families), they could possibly do $40 or $50 family tickets without the Raiders having to cop all the loss of income.

The NRL did a scaled down version almost a decade back for Sunday afternoons, where they had the Sunday FunDays and they had a $40 family ticket. The clubs hosting the match would receive a subsidy for each ticket sold at the cheaper price point which was relative to what they normally charge for that timeslot and capped based upon average number of family tickets the club would sell for games like that.
Totally agree with all of this.

Ah yes, I do remember the Sunday Funday - but not the exact years.

ground zero

Juniors
i would like the dragons to say on say Saturday you have 1 hour to buy $10 tickets on the hill. It would make it a sellout. 22000 Fans. All red an white

Latest posts