What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 FW1 Sun - Newcastle 30-28 Canberra @ McDonald Jones

Finals Week 1: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Canberra Raiders

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GongPanther

Referee
If you told me pre game the knights played 20 minutes of good footy, I’d have told you they win this game 30-12

mostly my excitement is the season is over. This was a rooough year of raiders football and sneaking past the knights would have been hilarious, but getting f**king belted off the park by the warriors would have stunk

I am perfectly happy to go out on that game haha, that raiders team is the worst finals team you’ll see in 10-20 years
You're as good as you were in you're last game, and not for the season as a whole. Sticky will be making astute notes for next season. I reckon you'll have great reasons to be looking forward to next year.

perverse

Referee
If you told me pre game the knights played 20 minutes of good footy, I’d have told you they win this game 30-12

mostly my excitement is the season is over. This was a rooough year of raiders football and sneaking past the knights would have been hilarious, but getting f**king belted off the park by the warriors would have stunk

I am perfectly happy to go out on that game haha, that raiders team is the worst finals team you’ll see in 10-20 years
It wasn't too much of a surprise to Knights fans that the Raiders came at us like they did, and that we played like we weren't expecting it too. Classic us. Honestly I didn't see us coming back in the second half. I don't know how Tyson Gamble struggled for so long to find a home, but he's been a titan for us in this 10 game run.

It was a huge occasion for the club today and i think they got a bit overwhelmed with it all too. We'll be better next week. Doubt it's enough to account for the Warriors at home, but we'll see. You don't win 10 on the trot by accident.

GongPanther

Referee
So one side of the draw has Penrith, Storm and Roosters, while the other Broncos, Warriors, Knights.

Did George Lucas script this finals series?
I thought it was the Warriors and the Knights on Penrith's side of the draw? EDIT: you're right. Fox had it the wrong way.

MRN

Juniors
Fox was probably right, the winners next week just switch sides of the draw.
TelstraFinalsSeries2.jpg

Woody90

Juniors
We were outplayed by a team who wanted it more for 65 minutes but our good 15 was just enough to get us over the line. I think we will be better next week. f**king nerve wracking at the stadium. Up the Knights!

They looked stressed. I think the expectations from the massive crowd and media pressure stupidly saying they’d win when there were still 2 teams playing got to them a fair bit. In that good 15 minutes they looked carefree and attacked in their own way, but they looked shit scared for the other 75 minutes.

I can’t see us getting over the Warriors in NZ but the pressure will be well off them at least.

Apey

Staff member
Ricky will have his team up for this. One thing he's good at is the us against them mentality I guess. I'm not sure where their points are going to come from though, we have been pretty good defensively throughout the year and crash play after crash play isn't going to work (not that it ever really does).

One thing Raiders have over us is they have some jumpers in their team; Rapana, Wighton etc and imo that's one of our weak points that our opponents haven't really exploited it lately. Ponga has improved, so has Marzhew, but for a tall bloke Young is sketchy as under the high ball.

Going to say Knights by 16 but the margin won't ever be more than that during the game.
Not a bad prediction to toot my own horn (as I will be doing furiously later tonight):

- A lot of their points came from our errors
- The rest came from them throwing the ball around, we held up most of their crash plays
- We dropped several balls from kick and I was nervous af every time a high ball came our way
- Margin was 12 at the highest and I thought we'd go on with it at 28 - 16 but we were completely gassed and Raiders were determined

Pete Cash

Post Whore

It was a bizarre year.

Soft draw but a lot of sides lost to us that really should have won. Too many teams got dragged into brawls with the Raiders to end up losing by 2-6