What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 FW1 Sun - Newcastle 30-28 Canberra @ McDonald Jones

Finals Week 1: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Canberra Raiders

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2023 - Finals Week 1
Newcastle Knights v Canberra Raiders
McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal, New Lambton (TICKETS)
Sunday 10 September 2023

NRL kickoff 4:05pm
Broadcast live on Nine Network, 9Now, Fox League and Kayo Sports

NEW2022TEAM.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Dominic Young 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Phoenix Crossland 10. Leo Thompson 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 13. Adam Elliott 14. Kurt Mann 15. Daniel Saifiti 16. Jack Hetherington 17. Mathew Croker 18. Adam Clune 19. Lachlan Miller 20. Dylan Lucas 21. Enari Tuala 22. Brodie Jones

Out: Lachlan Miller (fullback), Enari Tuala (centre), Adam Clune (halfback), Fa'amanu Brown (hooker), Dylan Lucas (second row), Brodie Jones (second row), Riley Jones (bench), Oryn Keeley (bench)
In: Kalyn Ponga (fullback), Dane Gagai (centre), Jackson Hastings (halfback), Phoenix Crossland (hooker), Leo Thompson (front row), Tyson Frizell (second row), Lachlan Fitzgibbon (second row), Kurt Mann (bench)
Changes: Jack Hetherington (front row to bench)

CAN2023TEAM.png

1. Jordan Rapana 2. James Schiller 3. Jack Wighton 4. Matthew Timoko 5. Nick Cotric 6. Matt Frawley 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Ata Mariota 9. Zac Woolford 10. Joseph Tapine 11. Hudson Young 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Hohepa Puru 14. Tom Starling 15. Emre Guler 16. Pasami Saulo 17. Trey Mooney 18. Jarrod Croker 19. Albert Hopoate 20. Danny Levi 21. Ethan Strange 22. Xavier Savage

Out: Sebastian Kris (wing)
In: James Schiller (wing)

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Ashley KLEIN
Sideline Officials: Liam KENNEDY, Jon STONE
Video Referee: Chris BUTLER​

Last edited:

This Year?

Immortal
Can someone help me bet?
I'm sick of losing.
Congrats to both sides on making the finals and I'm envious of both sets of fans

gerg

Juniors
Can someone help me bet?
I'm sick of losing.
Congrats to both sides on making the finals and I'm envious of both sets of fans

We might have a left side of Frawley, possibly Croker and Hopoate. Throw your money on Ponga, Best, Young and whichever back rower will be lining up on the right. Also Crossland for a dummy half sneak.

nick87

Coach
It's pretty embarrassing being the worst finals team ever
The only thing more embarrassing?

Losing to the worst finals team ever... Can the knights avoid such shame?
Almost certainly... but then, Rai... ders?
IDK

JamesRustle

First Grade
All pressure on the Knights here, but I think they handle it. Competitive for 60 mins then Knights to pile a few points on.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
God, don't lose to this rabble please. I can't imagine that we will... but Rugby League is a cruel game sometimes.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Newcastle have the better spine, Ponga or not.

You can probably rest Jesse's girl for another week.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Losing to the worst finals team ever... Can the knights avoid such shame?
Almost certainly... but then, Rai... ders?
IDK
Not sure there the worse finals team ever.

Matty Elliot's 2002 Raiders have the worst record to play in finals in the NRL era.

Won 10 games and a draw out of 24 games with a PD of -170.

I think Ricky's 2023 boys have them covered.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Everything says Knights, but the Raiders are a team that can pull out that one performance. Theyre that dumb they could pull it off. Unlikley they do though. Knights by 18 Texttas.

skeepe

Immortal
Rugby league can be a cruel game.

On my dad's 40th birthday, the Raiders won their third premiership against the Bulldogs with a smashing performance. On my 40th birthday, the Raiders are going to be eliminated - badly - by the team I hate more than any other.

Such is life.

nick87

Coach
Not sure there the worse finals team ever.

Matty Elliot's 2002 Raiders have the worst record to play in finals in the NRL era.

Won 10 games and a draw out of 24 games with a PD of -170.

I think Ricky's 2023 boys have them covered.

I don't know if that should count though, we only made the 8 that year because the Bulldogs salary cap breach
In terms of worst teams to play the finals, they get * too
This team just flat out won enough games to get in. Which is baffling

Rugby league can be a cruel game.

On my dad's 40th birthday, the Raiders won their third premiership against the Bulldogs with a smashing performance. On my 40th birthday, the Raiders are going to be eliminated - badly - by the team I hate more than any other.

Such is life.

Can someone get in touch with Douglas Adams and let him know we found out where Marvin the Paranoid Android went after The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy finished.