What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - Oceania Tri-Nations (Pacific Championship)

Matua

Bench
Anyone know why the Kiwis and All Blacks no longer perform the traditional Ke Mate ?

I find the new Haka too long and not as intimidating as the Ke mate
Ka Mate is a haka from one iwi, it shouldn't really have become a default NZ one. TBH, it's an average haka, I much prefer the newly specifically created ones that the Kiwis and ABs do.

The ABs still do Ka Mate sometimes. They did it against Italy in the world cup.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Ka Mate is a haka from one iwi, it shouldn't really have become a default NZ one. TBH, it's an average haka, I much prefer the newly specifically created ones that the Kiwis and ABs do.

The ABs still do Ka Mate sometimes. They did it against Italy in the world cup.
I love the Kiwis Haka, and with guys like JFH, NAS and Tapine in the side it looks fierce.

I also love it how RL lets them get nose to nose. I am pretty sure World Rugby Union has them 20m apart at all times

Perth Red

Post Whore
Three doesnt feel enough 4-5 would be better. They’d be better getting England and France over and putting France and Lebanon in the bowl and England in the championship so we can have 5 countries in each. 4 games plus the final.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Three doesnt feel enough 4-5 would be better. They’d be better getting England and France over and putting France and Lebanon in the bowl and England in the championship so we can have 5 countries in each. 4 games plus the final.
Definitely need more teams involved. At least we finally appear to have a commitment to an annual international window so we can try and grow things from here.

yakstorm

First Grade
There are pros & cons with the European teams coming over, definitely it adds another challenger to both competitions & it helps from a standard perspective, though on the flip side it takes away from important matches being played in front of NH audiences.

I doubt they'll bring England over next year, as they're coming the year after, but one thing I hope they can do next year is ensure all teams play at least 4 Tests.

This means if Samoa goes to England, get them to play someone as a warm up. If the Pacific Championship remains 2x pools of 3x teams, get the bye teams to play cross pool matches.

I'm sure the England v Tonga series would have drawn bigger crowds for the first two games off the back of Tonga thrashing a Wales or France and creating some awareness, same, poor Samoa should have been allowed to play the likes of a Cook Islands to warm up, before facing the Kangaroos & Kiwis.

jim_57

Staff member
There are pros & cons with the European teams coming over, definitely it adds another challenger to both competitions & it helps from a standard perspective, though on the flip side it takes away from important matches being played in front of NH audiences.

I doubt they'll bring England over next year, as they're coming the year after, but one thing I hope they can do next year is ensure all teams play at least 4 Tests.

This means if Samoa goes to England, get them to play someone as a warm up. If the Pacific Championship remains 2x pools of 3x teams, get the bye teams to play cross pool matches.

I'm sure the England v Tonga series would have drawn bigger crowds for the first two games off the back of Tonga thrashing a Wales or France and creating some awareness, same, poor Samoa should have been allowed to play the likes of a Cook Islands to warm up, before facing the Kangaroos & Kiwis.

Once every World Cup cycle England should try and get Lebanon up and play a Northern Hemisphere 4N with England, France, Lebanon & Ireland/Wales. Ireland probably ideal and try to get as much buy in as possible from their huge pool of eligible heritage players, no offence to Wales.

Run a 2nd tier 4 nations under that for the next 3 best euro teams and North American champions.

1 - England, France, Ireland, Lebanon
2 - Wales, Scotland, Italy, Jamaica

Perth Red

Post Whore

As long as its part of a structured rotational test calendar then it can work fine.
RLWC
5 nations Pacific Championship (Oz, NZ, Sam, Tong, Eng) and Bowl (PNG, Cook, lebanese, Fij, Fra)
Kangaroos tour of UK and France
Kiwis Tour of UK and France
Tri nations Pacific when those tours are on
4 nations European comp (France, Wales, Scotland, Ireland)

Basically just build that into a calendar rotationally for next 30 years! Id like to see a world nines in Aus or NZ every alternate year in Feb as well but doubt we'll see it again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Once every World Cup cycle England should try and get Lebanon up and play a Northern Hemisphere 4N with England, France, Lebanon & Ireland/Wales. Ireland probably ideal and try to get as much buy in as possible from their huge pool of eligible heritage players, no offence to Wales.

Run a 2nd tier 4 nations under that for the next 3 best euro teams and North American champions.

1 - England, France, Ireland, Lebanon
2 - Wales, Scotland, Italy, Jamaica
Sadly that will not draw crowds or revenue. Watching England thrash those three nations is hardly entertainment.

Wb1234

Referee
Poor crowd expected

with their full team back the Roos would be favourites to belt them

Hopefully nz can pull off a miracle

Harry O

Juniors
Is this the worse attendance international Rugby League has ever had? If it was the Warriors it would've been sold out,just saying....

isaiah

Bench
Pity only 450 fans are there to see this. Was it the ticket price? 80 Australian dollars is a week’s wages