What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 R25 Sun - Newcastle 29-10 Souths @ McDonald Jones

Round 25: Newcastle v Souths

• Newcastle Knights

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
I know Walsh is a bit more electric and fast but tbh I wouldn’t trade Ponga for any other fullback in the competition. What a star he is.
That would actually be a fullback clash worth hyping. Won't happen this year though.

Wizardman

First Grade
Is he a great player though? Sure he can do things that a lot of others can’t but I feel like we see it less and less from Latrell. Billy Slater was a great player who set the standard as far as fullbacks go and Latrell doesn’t go anywhere near him on a regular basis.
Great talent...yes.....great player...no. His appearance at that concert basically sent a message to the rest of his players on how to prepare for that game today..

LOL, watched it back and he is right. Saifiti scores on an extra tackle. It was after the messed up Ponga play the ball where ref lost count.

It was 12-4 at the time.

Then the next try was the ball hitting the ref.

We did not deserve to win at all but that's two massive calls in context.

LOL, watched it back and he is right. Saifiti scores on an extra tackle. It was after the messed up Ponga play the ball where ref lost count.

It was 12-4 at the time.

I was surprised that first one wasn’t a six again at minimum, son bin at worst for holding onto Ponga/offside at the next tackle.

coolumsharkie

Referee

It was 12-4 at the time.

Did anyone notice in this thread?

perverse

Referee

It was 12-4 at the time.

The ball hitting the ref was the right call. It's referees discretion by the rulebook, and Walker never gets to that ball before Crossland even if it doesn't hit the ref.

8th tackle try just shouldn't happen and the refs have flubbed that. Didn't affect the result though.

The ball hitting the ref was the right call. It's referees discretion by the rulebook, and Walker never gets to that ball before Crossland even if it doesn't hit the ref.

8th tackle try just shouldn't happen and the refs have flubbed that. Didn't affect the result though.
I didn’t know the rule around the ‘ball hitting the ref’; thanks for clearing that up.

yobbo84

First Grade

Never said it did. We were shite.

Ball touching the ref is dead ball because you have zero idea where it goes or what it will do if it doesn't touch the ref. It should have gone back to replay the tackle where the Knights probably would have scored anyway, we were that bad.

perverse

Referee
Never said it did. We were shite.

Ball touching the ref is dead ball because you have zero idea where it goes or what it will do if it doesn't touch the ref. It should have gone back to replay the tackle where the Knights probably would have scored anyway, we were that bad.
Read the rules mate. Ball hitting the ref is referees/bunkers discretion on the effect it had. Has been for years. They made the right call.

yobbo84

First Grade
Newcastle supporters by and large deserve to see a successful team. Like us in the early 2000s they have stuck through some really low times.

I am very envious of teams like Newcastle, Penrith, Cronulla, North Queensland, etc.

Teams with actual home grounds and a real home ground advantage.

Being nomads sucks.

perverse

Referee

perverse

Referee
Yes it did help, I believe they ruled that the play was not irregularly affected by the contact, which is the correct call.
In all honesty after having a read (it's been a while), I thought contact with the ball counted under mutual infringement laws, which is far more explicit than this clause that it's up to the ref or the bunker (i.e the ball is affected by something out of either teams control). It may well be the case that play should have stopped. I'm sure all the talking heads will have a chat about it during the week and figure out how outraged we should all be.

Bottom of page 16 here: https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/documentation/nrl_laws_interpretations_2020.pdf

The referee is the sole judge of what constitutes a mutual infringement and whether or not play has been irregularly affected. Contact between a defender and Referee may not constitute a mutual infringement