What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 R3 Sun - Canberra 24-20 Cronulla @ GIO

Round 3: Canberra v Cronulla

• Canberra Raiders

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Puntoue

Juniors
If you could point me to the specific part of the laws of the game that say that, I would appreciate it.
I’ll look for it, but from memory the offical rule is that you have to maintain balance playing the ball.

Just giving the reason it was introduced.

skeepe

Immortal
I’ll look for it, but from memory the offical rule is that you have to maintain balance playing the ball.

Just giving the reason it was introduced.
Could be one of those pesky NRL-only interpretations because it’s definitely not in the official laws.

Not one I’ve heard of though honestly.

Puntoue

Juniors
They all ref to try and get close results but by god he dug deep into his bag of tricks to get cronulla into the game.
Klein/the officiating was shocking all game, not just to the Raiders. They clearly missed the striking at the arm for our captains challenge, then the blatant strip on Hunt, not to mention Hunt’s send off.

If Hunt goes to the bin then so does Horsborough, you can’t hold a player back and then throw him to the ground, stopping him from joining the defensive line (and low and behold Horsborough scores where Hunt was resetting)

But more than happy to admit we got every favourable call for the last 15 minutes.

Puntoue

Juniors
Could be one of those pesky NRL-only interpretations because it’s definitely not in the official laws.

Not one I’ve heard of though honestly.

I believe it is a V’landys era rule change, so it may not be enforced in Super League, internationals etc

I don’t know why the league is trying to clamp down on quick play the balls; referees seem so confused. How Klein was going to let the CHN one go I will never know; thankfully the touchie showed some courage.

Apey

Staff member
Honestly Wighton kicking it out on the full on 3rd tackle is the pinnacle of Raiders footy. Fun game.

Big Pete

Referee
If you could point me to the specific part of the laws of the game that say that, I would appreciate it.
Responsibilities of the player in possession
The tackled player shall:
a. without delay regain his feet where he is tackled,
b. lift the ball clear of the ground,
c. face his opponent’s goal line,
d. place the ball on the ground,
and make a genuine attempt to play the ball with the foot while maintaining balance

Link

It's been around for years, before V'landys.

Fortunately it didn't have any bearing on the result.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
and make a genuine attempt to play the ball with the foot while maintaining balance

Link

Aids

nick87

Coach

Link

it’s a f**king dumb rule
By all means if the player knocks on, or doesn’t play it correctly then make a call
And don’t penalise a player for being in the ruck if they interfere
But in an instance where the player gets to his feet, plants the ball and plays it with his foot
An objectively perfect play the ball… play the f**k on… just a dumb rule devoid of common sense
It’s a perfectly reasonable play the ball

if that’s the rule
Change it. It’s a dumb rule and should be changed immediately

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Did Waz just say something about pitch invaders? Is @SLRBRONCOS running on to have some stern words with Ashley Klein/molest Harley Smith-Shields?
Yes! Three Eshays ran on. Two ran right into the sharks bay and were met with disapproval. The other ran the full field and pretended to score. Probably the best noise of the night.

skeepe

Immortal

Link

Ah, as I suspected, an NRL-only interpretation. Cheers.

blocka

Juniors

Link

if thats the case 99% of play the balls every week are illegal, when do players get to their feet, lift the ball off the ground and then place it back down again? they just use it as an assist to get up then put their foot on it.

I thought Jack was a bit hard done by, he played the ball without error and as he was moving forward you can see the legs of the Sharks defender on the ground rise up and trip him up.

Apey

Staff member
Ah, as I suspected, an NRL-only interpretation. Cheers.
The other thing is I'm pretty sure in the last couple of years some time they decided they'd start enforcing it again. Probably because the game was 'too quick' with the 6 agains. That's probably why @Puntoue thought it was new.

Big Pete

Referee
if thats the case 99% of play the balls every week are illegal, when do players get to their feet, lift the ball off the ground and then place it back down again? they just use it as an assist to get up then put their foot on it.

I thought Jack was a bit hard done by, he played the ball without error and as he was moving forward you can see the legs of the Sharks defender on the ground rise up and trip him up.
You're spot on and it seems like the NRL only cottoned onto that interpretation in the pre-season. I haven't kept a close eye on it, but they failed their first assignment when they penalised Parramatta when the Melbourne player hadn't regained his feet.

What made it distressing was that the bunker had an opportunity to adjudicate on it and got it wrong.

However when it comes to maintaining balance, the NRL have been a lot more consistent with it. Usually what happens, and what may have made this instance more controversial, is they'll penalise the opposition for a second effort.

There was an interesting example in last year's Panthers/Souths grand final qualifier involving Kikau. Viliame got a lovely play the ball away but was dragged to the ground afterwards only for Koroisau to crash over and score. Technically Viliame didn't maintain his balance but the officials let it go.

Fortunately in the Wighton instance it didn't affect the result.

Latest posts