What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

Nealo 12

Bench
I did find a forum for people like me. That's why I'm here. South's supporters you clown. Unlike yourself. Trying to get on the moral high horse after spending 4 days slagging off Latrell. Now piss off and take your wooden spoon with you.
As much as I despise your mob this Idiot is an attention seeker, you’re best to just ignore him unless you have a persistent online presence 😂

Rabbits20

Immortal
Cook has also been buoyed by the impact that the younger players in the squad have had at training and earmarked two youngsters in particular for big seasons in 2023.

“Josiah Karapani at centre is training really well,” Cook said.

“He has a big strong carry and is excellent in defence.

“Davvy Moale I think is in for a massive year.

“I think we have seen a little bit of him here and there off the bench in limited minutes, but I think Davvy is going to go to another level and establish himself as a first grader this year.”

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
RLPA boss Clint Newton reveals 'carnage' behind NRL pay war: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/rlpa-p...cal-fund/2e37de91-e462-4b9f-9f3b-be5a22e402af

From Zero Tackle,

Lead negotiator called in for CBA discussions

The NRL and its most elite players have brought a new face into the mix for the ongoing CBA discussions, lead negotiator Brett Clegg, in a bid to finally breakthrough the stalemate.

Clegg is a former News Corp and Fairfax Media Executive and has spent time as the head of the Australian Financial Review, a more than qualified resume to help the NRL find middle ground with the playing group.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that Clegg was parachuted into talks to replace Hugh Marks, the former boss at Nine Entertainment, after the figure departed to focus on his own business ventures.

Clegg reportedly played a key role in Thursday night's meeting between NRL CEO Andrew Abdo and RLPA boss Clint Newton, which delivered strong progress on the NRLW's CBA, and temporarily halted player backlash in the trial games.

Players were informed via email to cover the NRL logo on their jersey with tape, refuse external media commitments and delay kick-off times, however the sudden progress stalled the on-field progress.

While the players backed down last weekend, a lack of progression could see the threats rear their head again, or worse - player strikes.

While Newton and Abdo both flew to New Zealand on the weekend for the All Stars clash, on the same flight according to The Daily Telegraph, the pair have both returned to Australia and are set to continue negotiations this week.

The big sticking point in the women's CBA is a pregnancy and carer's policy as well as six-month contracts for this season, with the RLPA declaring that a pregnancy policy is essential in the talks.

While the six-month contracts are only for 2023 and will evolve into multi-year deals in the future, it's a major focal point with the NRLW competition expanding from six to ten teams this year, with no schedule announced as of yet.

The RLPA is fighting for a war chest tuned to the size of $90 million over five years to be spent at their discretion in regards to wellbeing programs, injury hardship and medical retirements, however the NRL are reluctant to give the RLPA full control of a near-nine-figure amount.

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

The Bulldogs and Rabbitohs have withdrawn their interest in signing one of the hottest stars on the NRL open market, English flyer Dominic Young.

The off-contract Newcastle winger is in the final stages of deciding his future, with the Roosters emerging as the club that could prize the strapping outside back out of the Hunter.

Canterbury and South Sydney were originally interested in adding Young to their backline in 2024.

However, both clubs have decided to cease all talks with the athletic talent and instead invest within and back their own crop of backline potential.

The Bulldogs currently have outside backs Jake Averillo, Paul Alamoti, Josh Addo-Carr, Jacob Kiraz, Hayze Perham, Braidon Burns and Jayden Okunbor at the club and have already signed Test star Stephen Crichton on a four-year deal from 2024 as well as comeback centre Bronson Xerri.

The Rabbitohs aren’t light on outside back options either with elite NRL talent including Latrell Mitchell, Alex Johnston and Campbell Graham accompanying rising stars Isaiah Tass, Josiah Karapani, Jacob Gagai and Izaac Thompson.

Prior to Christmas, Young, who scored 14 tries in 20 games for a Knights side that ranked second-last for points scored this year, was the focus of extraordinary interest from up to nine NRL clubs including the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Storm, Sharks, Bulldogs, The Dolphins, Titans, Cowboys and Raiders.

At the time, he had the most interest of any player on the open market.

Yet it seems Young will either stay at the Knights, or link with the Roosters after recently having dinner with head coach Trent Robinson.

callmack1

Staff member
A bit disappointed we've dropped out of the race for Young but I'm not gonna throw my toys out of the cot. The club knows what it's doing. Maybe it's turning into a bidding war and his price is too high, maybe they're just really confident in Tass, Thompson and Karapani which is a good sign.

A little disappointed but I'll back the club on this one.

callmack1

Staff member
'We're prepared to do it' - Cleary threatens strike action unless players get 'our fair share': https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/6e19b78a2a4525efc48368680d4646fb

Once again, more amateur hour stuff. Why are media reports saying huge progress has been made getting released when nothing has happened? Great that they got the Women's CBA pretty much sorted but jeez I hope the Men's can be sorted in the next two weeks!

Thumper

Juniors

Predict us to finish 5th
The mole is clutching at straws in my opinion. To say every team around us have bought players without saying all those teams have lost far more important players than we lost is very misleading.
storm have lost 4 starting forwards
Penrith have lost 2.
parra have lost at least 3.
sharks haven't signed anymore. No mention of them.
cows have signed no one good. They have alost lost a few.

handyman2190

Bench
A bit disappointed we've dropped out of the race for Young but I'm not gonna throw my toys out of the cot. The club knows what it's doing. Maybe it's turning into a bidding war and his price is too high, maybe they're just really confident in Tass, Thompson and Karapani which is a good sign.

A little disappointed but I'll back the club on this one.
Id say his price skyrocketed,probably around 500k there are cheaper options

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero tackle, this is pretty great news!

Jason Demetriou set to re-sign with South Sydney

South Sydney are set to hand head coach Jason Demetriou a one-year extension after a stellar maiden season at the helm.

Demetriou, Wayne Bennett's understudy for years, finally took the reins at the start of last season, picking up exactly where the master coach left off - reaching a preliminary final.

He's the fourth consecutive coach at the Rabbitohs to make the match before the grand final in his first season, however it's easy to argue that the Bunnies' mentor had more pressing challenges than Bennett.

Adam Reynolds, Jaydn Su'A and Dane Gagai all departed for rival clubs the same season Bennett finished up his duties in Redfern, while veteran Benji Marshall hung up the boots following the 2021 NRL Grand Final.

The 47-year-old Demetriou was already signed through to the end of 2024, however The Daily Telegraph are reporting that the new coach is set to add an extra season to his stay, locking him up for the 2025 season.

The publication also reports that at least one rival club was attempting a poaching raid, attempting to lure the rookie coach out of Redfern.

Demetriou's management confirmed the coach was negotiating an extension.

“We are in constant discussions with the club with regards to Jason's future”, said Chris Orr, Demetriou's manger, told The Daily Telegraph.

“Talks have been very positive, they are heading in the right direction. Jason is very happy at Souths. He has a good relationship with his players, staff and takes a real interest in South Sydney's DNA and Rabbitohs culture.

“He showed his ability last season getting Souths to within one game of the grand final.

“I'm sure Jason would have interest out there, but our focus has only been on securing his future with Souths.”
Demetriou will lead the Rabbitohs in their final trial against the Dragons, after handing the reins to assistant John Morris for last week's match against Manly.

Thumper

Juniors

callmack1

Staff member
NRL weighing up mandatory stand down period for concussed players: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...own-rule/db007b76-f92c-4d3c-8d19-723fe8b37aed

While it's scary to think you could sometimes be without a player for a week due to concussion, there's no doubt that this is the best thing to do for the health and wellbeing of the players. In this day and age, I think they have to do this. You have to do everything you possibly can to limit the effects of concussion.