What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

callmack1

Staff member
Yewwwwwwww!!!!! Fantastic news to get after a big week for me!

So stoked to see this, a huge boost for the club! Many will knock him but I believe Cooky is still one of the top hookers in the game and I hope he will remain so for the next few years. He's part of our established spine, a senior leader, and a great clubman!

Pretty stoked that he's going to finish his career here and he now bleeds Red and Green. Can't wait to see where the next three years ends up.

One down, two to go!!

Rabbits20

Immortal

Rabbitohs​

The burning issue: The transition. Lachlan Ilias enjoyed a fine debut season under all sorts of pressure, his continued development is critical to the Rabbitohs securing an all-important top four berth. In the same fashion, expect Peter Mamouzelos to be slowly but surely brought into first grade as Damien Cook’s apprentice.

Money matters: Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker and Cook have confirmed their futures at the club while Tom Burgess, Siliva Havili, Liam Knight and Blake Taaffe are all on the market. Something will have to give in the Rabbitohs’ cap.

All eyes on: Mitchell. Because they always are. The game’s most magnetic man matured like nothing else in 2022 and embraced the hype and exposure around him. That only increases next season with regular Fox Sports appearances.

Travitoh

First Grade
BTW, I've recently been told a week or so ago by someone I've come to know recently who is somewhat close to Trell that he is only in discussions with Souths and will eventually re-sign. Uncertainty around the salary cap for the coming seasons is delaying the final deal being put together. This deal will lock him in long term so both parties want to be sure they get it right for everyone involved.

callmack1

Staff member
Huge coup for Rabbitohs as 'crown jewel' signs: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...h-sydney/0587e626-9d47-4828-8f39-29f8f7e88a5c

Hearing conflicting stuff about Trell. Some say he's signed; others say he hasn't yet. I guess I'll just eagerly wait for an official announcement.

From the Daily Telegraph,

I don't think it'll be a difficult decision whether to re-sign Cook after this new deal or not. If his Footy warrants in, then great! Re-sign him and by then he'd be in the twilight of his career. Being the clubman he is, by then, I'm sure he'd take more of a back seat to Pete, who would have hopefully fully emerged by then. If his Footy no longer warrants it, well then you don't offer the extra year, simple as that.

I do agree that we probably have to be a bit careful as to what Pete does but I don't think it'll be a hard decision for the club to sign Cook beyond this, the answer will become pretty clear cut over the next few years.

Rabbitohs face difficult decision after Damien Cook extension

South Sydney are celebrating the first in a trio of contract coups — but it comes with a catch. Read our analysis of the Rabbitohs’ retention plans.

A difficult decision looms in the final season of Damien Cook’s freshly inked contract extension as South Sydney navigate a succession plan for their star hooker.

The Rabbitohs on Friday confirmed Cook had signed a new deal that would keep him at Redfern until the end of 2025.

He is the first of the Rabbitohs’ big three to officially recommit, after The Daily Telegraph on Thursday revealed Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker had also agreed to new three and two-year deals respectively, to be announced early next week.

Cook had been chasing a three-year extension but the club refused to budge, only offering Cook, 31, two more years.

It echoed the stance the Rabbitohs took in 2021 with club legend Adam Reynolds, who eventually left for a three-year contract with Brisbane after only being offered a 12-month deal to stay.

The issue for Souths is the emergence of young hooker Peter Mamouzelos, who is being groomed to take over from Cook.

The local junior turns 22 in January, having only made a handful of appearances since making his NRL debut in 2021.

He is under contract at Souths until the end of 2024, and given Cook is now locked in for a year beyond that, Mamouzelos will need to be convinced there is a path to regular first grade for him at Redfern.

Cook’s comments on the eve of signing his extension this week, though, cast doubt over that.

“I spoke to (Rabbitohs coach Jason Demetriou), the three years isn’t going to be there which is understandable, the club has to look after their position as well,” Cook told Fox Sports.

“But speaking to JD, he said if I’m playing good footy at that time there is no doubt he’ll re-sign me on that third or fourth year.”

That would potentially take Cook to the end of 2026, which would mean two years of shared hooker duties for Mamouzelos.

Mamouzelos only made two NRL appearances in 2022 and Cook has shown, that even at 31, he’s an 80-minute footballer.

Complicating matters for the Rabbitohs is the hooker free agency situation emerging around the NRL and the demand for quality No.9 options.

Parramatta have signed Josh Hodgson on a two-year deal to replace Reed Mahoney. The club has an option to take up his contract for the 2024 season. But, at 33, he’s not a long-term solution for the Eels.

Lachlan Croker has been an admirable servant at hooker for Manly since losing Manase Fainu three years ago. Croker’s current contract expires at the end of 2024, the same time Mamouzelos becomes a free agent.

Even at Penrith, where Mitch Kenny has assumed the No.9 jersey following Apisai Koroisau’s move to the Wests Tigers, he has a deal that also runs two more years. Beyond that, they only have four of their top-30 squad contracted.

Mamouzelos is obviously seen as the future at Souths, but how do you move along the incumbent NSW hooker and one of the premier players in his position, especially when his mindset is: “The ball is in my court to make sure I keep my standard up and keep continuing the play good footy. The length of my career is up to me.”

Much like they did with Reynolds when the torch was passed to halfback Lachlan Ilias, this shapes as a defining moment for the Rabbitohs.

Rabbits20

Immortal
RABBITOHS STAR DUO TO SIGN BEFORE XMAS
Souths have reportedly overcome the issue which stopped them announcing the re-signing of Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker last week.
Star trio Mitchell, Walker and Damien Cook were all set to be announced at the same time but only the latter put pen to paper.
Cook signed a two-year extension and this week Walker is expected to do the same and Mitchell will ink a three-year extension, according to Phil Rothfield.
“There’s some other interesting stuff happening at South Sydney,” Rothfield said on Big Sports Breakfast.
“I was told last week on the day they announced the Damien Cook signing that they had prepared to also announce Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker were signing.
“Now these two players as far as I understand are not talking to rival clubs like Mitchell Moses and I’m told their contracts are all but agreed in principal and in the next 48 hours, that little hiccup they had at the end (of last week) - and it’s more about waiting for the RLPA and the NRL, Andrew Abdo and Peter V’Landys to agree on the salary cap.
“That’s when they will sign and I’m really hopeful that will be before the end of the week.
“It will be massive news, two Indigenous superstars staying at the mighty Rabbitohs, Latrell for another three years and Cody for another two years.”
SOURCE FOXSPORTS

Travitoh

First Grade
Souths have reportedly overcome the issue which stopped them announcing the re-signing of Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker last week.
Star trio Mitchell, Walker and Damien Cook were all set to be announced at the same time but only the latter put pen to paper.
Cook signed a two-year extension and this week Walker is expected to do the same and Mitchell will ink a three-year extension, according to Phil Rothfield.
“There’s some other interesting stuff happening at South Sydney,” Rothfield said on Big Sports Breakfast.
“I was told last week on the day they announced the Damien Cook signing that they had prepared to also announce Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker were signing.
“Now these two players as far as I understand are not talking to rival clubs like Mitchell Moses and I’m told their contracts are all but agreed in principal and in the next 48 hours, that little hiccup they had at the end (of last week) - and it’s more about waiting for the RLPA and the NRL, Andrew Abdo and Peter V’Landys to agree on the salary cap.
“That’s when they will sign and I’m really hopeful that will be before the end of the week.
“It will be massive news, two Indigenous superstars staying at the mighty Rabbitohs, Latrell for another three years and Cody for another two years.”
SOURCE FOXSPORTS
Sounds like Buzz read my post the other day 🤣

callmack1

Staff member
'Causing enormous problems across the game' - NRL cap saga slammed as players left in limbo: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/ec287c40d71af006f8b25d315488e8c6

SOURCE FOXSPORTS
Man, I'd so love it to be this week!! The best Christmas present I could ask for!! Apart from winning the comp of course!

callmack1

Staff member
Mitchell and Walker Extend: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/12/21/mitchell-and-walker-extend/

Mitchell and Walker Press Conference Full: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/12/21/mitchell-and-walker-press-conference-full/

Well, you won't be wiping the smile off my face anytime soon! Absolutely over the moon to have this finally announced, couldn't be happier!!! Hearing these two talk about the club with such passion and say how it's home makes me emotional and it shows just how much it means to them.

It's also a huge sign of where the club is at and where we're headed. These guys probably could have gone anywhere and probably got more money but there's nowhere else they'd rather be.

Man, I just hope we can get that number one goal this year and/or over the next few, both Cody and Trell seem to be burning for it!

So stoked!! Good times ahead!

Latest posts