What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Round 1 - Sharks vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 4th March 7:35pm @ PointsBet Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
To say I'm pretty damn pumped after that would be an understatement!!! Built up all this energy over the Off-Season and I think it's all getting released tonight. What a friggin win man!! Seriously, that's a game I will never, ever, forget. Round 1, couldn't have got our Season off to a much better start!

Jeez our backs were seriously against the wall but we pulled it off against all odds. Two key forwards gone early, against one of the top sides, at a ground we haven't won at since 2014, that is just an insane win under the circumstances. So, so proud of the lads to dig so deep, play for each other and get the job done despite everything going against us. That's pride, passion and hunger. That's effort. That's the South Sydney spirit!

Not gonna lie, I did think we were in quite a bit of trouble at half time. We were two forwards down, all locked up at 12 all and I have to admit, Cronulla were somewhat rolling us through the middle at that point. Fatigue was really starting to show and I was concerned. But I just can't believe that performance in the second half. Despite the circumstances we actually completely dominated them for almost the whole second stanza. Game never really lloked in doubt in the second half. I'm seriously impressed.

These are the wins that are the most special, when things happen and you kind of do it against all odds. I couldn't be more stoked! Yea, the injuries are a concern but let's just enjoy this win, celebrate it and worry about it next week.

We've started our Season in good fashion and we're off and running!

Can't wait to watch the replay and do some further analysis tomorrow. My full match reports will be back!!

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Just finished watching the replay so here's my full report,

Attack

In terms of making yardage and coming out of our end, it appears the plan from last year hasn't changed. We've been quite conservative in that area recently and it was the same last night. And why change it? It's effective. I thought we were losing the middle battle a bit in that first half but huge credit to the boys for turning it around and absolutely coming over the top of them in the second, with 15 men I might add!

I think it was Dan Ginnane in the commentary that said our attack was very varied last night and that we were making a bit of a statement to the rest of the NRL about our right side. Couldn't agree more with that. No doubt we had a bit of a different game plan to attack right and boy did it look good!! Lachy, Keaon, Stretch and Izaac killed it!! they looked so dangerous as all our points came down that side and an 'almost try' in the first half down the right too. We all know it's the lethal left that gets all the accolades in our side but we showed last night that we are well balanced and have threats all over the park in 2023. That's super exciting because it makes us even more unpredictable. Hats off to the coaching staff as they obviously identified something down the Cronulla left edge and it worked like a charm. We hardly even attacked left, so that tells me it was a clear game plan. Same thing happened in the Round 22 Sharks game last year, same game plan, except this time, we executed it. So good to see.

In saying that, the left edge did look a little clunky when we did go there and I can't quite figure out why. Probably a bit of early Season rust. We know how lethal that side is and I think they'll be sweet as.

Defence

I was impressed with some parts of the defence but not with others. Our general play defence was very good. We were coming up off the line all game, often driving them back coming out of their end and wedidn't really looked troubled in terms of them making a line break coming out of their end, so that was very impressive.

The goal line defence was a little mixed for me. There were periods there where we looked unbreakable. Some fantastic efforts to keep denying them and turning them away. Especially with about 20 minutes to go I think, there was a huge set where the Sharks threw a lot at us but the lads kept turning up for each other and shut them out. That was big in the context of the game. However, we did still concede 18 points which is more than I'd like. Yes, one of their tries was off a flukey, football like play and another off a more conventional kick, it's still 18 points. We were a little lucky too as they broke us down out wide three times, but we're lucky two of them were denied. So edge defence still looks a little flakey for me so that's a big work on. However, I think we're heading in the right direction. the team clearly has a huge defensive focus so we're bound to get better and it's important to remember this is a top team we were playing.

Player by Player

L.Mitchell: Aside from a couple of good kick returns, some safe bomb catches at the back and some defensive plays, we was pretty quiet in the first half. I would have liked to have seen him more involved. Looked a lot better in the second 40 though as he did get a bit more involved. Some huge kick returns that only Trell can do, his safe hands at the back continued and he came up with two really big tackles to save our arses when it looked like something was happening for Cronulla. Got a bit more involved in attack and laid on that beautiful second try for Stretch. That was a nice double pump before delivering the pass which was just enough to commit Talakai and create the hole for Graham, that's great skill. Finally, his goal kicking was faultless and he slotted that field goal to ice it. Still not involved enough for mine but I'm sure it will come.

Johnston: Pretty quiet night for AJ but he still did his job. No fault of his own that it was quiet for him either, the ball just didn't come his way as much and the ball that he did get wasn't quite clean ball. Still, as I said, he did his best and did his job for the most part. Still ran for just over 100 meters so he did well there. A big defensive play late in the game to hold Katoa up when he looked in for all money however, he was caught out twice on that edge with the wrong defensive read.

Tass: Kind of similar to AJ, Tassy didn't get very many good ball opportunities in attack. However, I do have to tip my hat to him in regards to the tough stuff. Constantly put his hand up to take a hard run out of our end and he had some really good carries. In fact, I was a bit surprised when I looked at the stats and saw he made 174 meters, he didn't seem that imposing watching it for the first time but watching the replay, you realise the work he really did. Well done Tassy.

Graham: Incredible game to open the Season from him as he continues to go from strength to strength. Up there in our top three players last night no doubt. Pretty solid defensively as always, he shut down a lot of the Sharks plays down there. Had just the one real lapse when Lachy saved our arses with that try-saver. With the ball was where he really shone though. Just amazing and I am constantly blown away by his ticker. Was huge rucking it out and taking the tough hit ups, looked super strong there and not once did he shirk it. This contributed massively to a team high 198 meters which is insane. Skipped through and made that line break in the first half, he set Izaac up very well and it's a real shame he couldn't quite finish it. To top it all off, he picked up the well-deserved double off some great whole running. Well done Campbell!!

Thompson: Had a bit of a mixed first half. Got caught out massively when Ronaldo almost scored early on. he was standing far too close to Graham and rushed up too much too. He also made a couple of poor errors and didn't have the toe to finish off that try. However, I think he redeemed himself a bit in the second half as he was really good. His hands do worry me a little but I love his hit ups, was very hard to put down last night and he got through a heck of a lot of work on his way to 173 meters. Not a foot wrong in defence in the second half either. So a little bit of a mixed game but I thought he was more bad than good. Important to remember that was only his third NRL game too.

Walker: Very quiet night to start the Season by his standards. Didn't really do a lot in attack compared to usual. However, that's not to say he was bad. Threatened a few times with his running. I also think he was happy last night to take a bit of a backseat and let Lachy control things. If it's working like it clearly was in this game, then I don't mind that.

Ilias: Wow, wow, wow, where do I start? Absolutely outstanding stuff from the young fella, easily man of the match, easily his career best game. And this wasn't just any game either, it was against one of the top sides which makes it even more impressive. Firstly, I'll talk about his defence. How bloody good was it??!! Started his great night with that huge, huge play on Mulitalo to slap the ball out and save the try. That was clearly intentional and is one of the best try-savers you'll see all year. The rest of the game his defence was just incredible too. Constantly handling guys way bigger than him, and came up with two massive shots to force an error both times. Textbook tackles too as they were shots right up under the ball. I'm just blown away by his defence to be honest, when else have we seen a young guy come in and be able to defend this well? On the other side of the ball, he was just as good too. Straight after that try saver, we go up the other end, Lachy spots a gap, goes straight through and scores. Classy. A bit later we're up there again and Lachy puts in one of those perfect grubbers to the in goal to set up Keaon perfectly. He sadly bombed it. A few moments later he has a hand in our second try with a nice pass to Keaon. Seven minutes into the second half and Ilias is the star again. That pass to put Stretch over was a thing of beauty as he took the ball right to the line and got his timing pinpoint perfect. He held the pass just, and I mean just long enough to commit Talakai and create the hole. That was impressive. Finally, he has a hand in our last try. He was at first receiver and did a nice little dummy before passing to Trell, this help up two defenders and allowed Trell the time and pass to get Talakai interested again. Just loved that stuff from Lachy, it's subtle but at the same time, it's huge. Finally, his kicking game as solid. Just a huge game for Lachy moving forward. We probably all knew it but he has just proven to the rest of the NRL that he can be a real star in big games. So proud of him!

callmack1

Staff member
Tatola: Nothing to report sadly as he was knocked out first carry.

Cook: Cooky's good form from the Charity Shield continues as I thought he was really, really good. Up there with our best on the night. His running game returned in a big way which created some havoc. What's more, it wasn't the 'running in circles' he can sometimes be guilty of doing. Picked the right moments to run, they were direct and he didn't muck around. It will be huge for us if Cooky can keep doing that and maintain it. Brought the forwards onto the ball well and got them rolling, plus his defence was great as per usual.

Moale: Really impressed with Davvy, really impressed. Started up against one of the biggest and best forward packs in the comp and well and truly held his own, if not more. Made 150 meters all up which is massive and helped lay a great platform. Some really strong carries, he certainly doesn't shirk it. What's more, he was forced into playing long minutes which is something he hasn't done in the NRL yet. Handled it so, so well and didn't look out of place at all. Take a bow Davvy! Just a little bit of constructive criticism though, I did notice last night that he was a little slow to get to his feet and play the ball so that's a bit of a work on. But otherwise, he's killing it!

Koloamatangi: Speaking of killing it, how good was Keaon in this one?!! Looks to have carried his 2022 Finals form into 2023 which is an ominous sign for other clubs. He was a colossus last night there's no doubt about that. Some huge carries and plenty of them to make a very good 150 meters. Constantly bumped off defenders and bent the line on almost every run. That's what we like to see. Proved a constant threat out there and his try was great. Keaon got the ball early and sold the little dummy which Talakai totally fell for. This isolated Moylan and Keaon just shrugged him off like a school boy haha. His defence was pretty solid too and he saved a try late in the second half as Hamlin-Uele almost broke through but Keaon did just enough to slow him down. That saved a try. A great night for Keoan with the only saw point being the try that he bombed. That was pretty lazy to be fair but thankfully, it didn't cost us and he made up for it.

Chee-Kam: Gotta give Cheeks a real wrap here. I have somewhat had my doubts about him but he was really solid last night. Like Moale and Shaq, he was forced into playing big minutes but he took it all in his stride and had a good game. Nothing really special but did his job, didn't put a foot wrong and that's all we ask of him.

Murray: Nothing has changed with our skipper, he's still just as good as always, he's still one of the best forwards in the comp and he showed that again last night. Strong carry after strong carry, poking his nose through the line and finding his front, quick play-the-balls, great ball playing attacking the line which allowed Lachy to do his thing, it's all the stuff we've come to know and love from Cam. A big 158 meters along with a huge 51 tackles. The guy was a machine out there once again. Inspirational.

Taaffe: Gotta admit, and with no disrespect to him, it was pretty pointless having him on the bench last night. We really needed four forwards as it turned out with the circumstances.

Arrow: Came on earlier than expected because of Tatola's KO, but he was one of our best for the 20 minute period he was on. Really lead the way with his direct carries. Such a shame he injured that hammy and was ruled out, Hopefully he's not out too long.

Burgess: Made one really poor error playing the ball in the second half but that was the only thing he did wrong all night. having to play bigger minutes than he'd be used to, I did think he'd struggle a bit but happy to admit I was wrong, it's almost as if Tom relished it. Huge carries, putting their line on the back foot as he made a massive 173 meters, third highest for the team on the night. Onya Tommy!!

S.Mitchell: What do you say about Shaq last night? There's probably not enough words to give him the biggest wrap he deserves after that performance. I was really concerned when Arrow went off because I knew Shaq would have to play big minutes. He's worked hard on his fitness and looks great but I don't think it would have been in the plan for him to play even close to that many minutes. But you know what? He did. He got through it. And not only that, but he was one of our best!! Huge impact off the bench and really helped turn the game in our favour, then maintain it. Some of his carries were simply barnstorming and it actually looked like Cronulla struggled to handle him. 125 meters in 45 minutes of game time for Shaq. I can't praise him enough. Has already earnt a spot on the bench moving forward with that performance. Davvy was really good, but I thought Shaq was better.

So there you have it, my first big review of 2023!! Great to be back doing it again. Great to have the Footy back.

So proud of our boys and the way they did it with 15 men, at a ground we haven't won at in nine years, against one of the top sides.

Glory, Glory!!!!

@soc123_au mod buddy, I expect the same in—depth analysis instead of

“Nate played like stuffed Turkey”

“Salmon needs to be battered and Fried”

“My 4 year old could have caught that”

“ We were garbage”

You Souths blokes are surely blessed.

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Tatola: Nothing to report sadly as he was knocked out first carry.

Cook: Cooky's good form from the Charity Shield continues as I thought he was really, really good. Up there with our best on the night. His running game returned in a big way which created some havoc. What's more, it wasn't the 'running in circles' he can sometimes be guilty of doing. Picked the right moments to run, they were direct and he didn't muck around. It will be huge for us if Cooky can keep doing that and maintain it. Brought the forwards onto the ball well and got them rolling, plus his defence was great as per usual.

Moale: Really impressed with Davvy, really impressed. Started up against one of the biggest and best forward packs in the comp and well and truly held his own, if not more. Made 150 meters all up which is massive and helped lay a great platform. Some really strong carries, he certainly doesn't shirk it. What's more, he was forced into playing long minutes which is something he hasn't done in the NRL yet. Handled it so, so well and didn't look out of place at all. Take a bow Davvy! Just a little bit of constructive criticism though, I did notice last night that he was a little slow to get to his feet and play the ball so that's a bit of a work on. But otherwise, he's killing it!

Koloamatangi: Speaking of killing it, how good was Keaon in this one?!! Looks to have carried his 2022 Finals form into 2023 which is an ominous sign for other clubs. He was a colossus last night there's no doubt about that. Some huge carries and plenty of them to make a very good 150 meters. Constantly bumped off defenders and bent the line on almost every run. That's what we like to see. Proved a constant threat out there and his try was great. Keaon got the ball early and sold the little dummy which Talakai totally fell for. This isolated Moylan and Keaon just shrugged him off like a school boy haha. His defence was pretty solid too and he saved a try late in the second half as Hamlin-Uele almost broke through but Keaon did just enough to slow him down. That saved a try. A great night for Keoan with the only saw point being the try that he bombed. That was pretty lazy to be fair but thankfully, it didn't cost us and he made up for it.

Chee-Kam: Gotta give Cheeks a real wrap here. I have somewhat had my doubts about him but he was really solid last night. Like Moale and Shaq, he was forced into playing big minutes but he took it all in his stride and had a good game. Nothing really special but did his job, didn't put a foot wrong and that's all we ask of him.

Murray: Nothing has changed with our skipper, he's still just as good as always, he's still one of the best forwards in the comp and he showed that again last night. Strong carry after strong carry, poking his nose through the line and finding his front, quick play-the-balls, great ball playing attacking the line which allowed Lachy to do his thing, it's all the stuff we've come to know and love from Cam. A big 158 meters along with a huge 51 tackles. The guy was a machine out there once again. Inspirational.

Taaffe: Gotta admit, and with no disrespect to him, it was pretty pointless having him on the bench last night. We really needed four forwards as it turned out with the circumstances.

Arrow: Came on earlier than expected because of Tatola's KO, but he was one of our best for the 20 minute period he was on. Really lead the way with his direct carries. Such a shame he injured that hammy and was ruled out, Hopefully he's not out too long.

Burgess: Made one really poor error playing the ball in the second half but that was the only thing he did wrong all night. having to play bigger minutes than he'd be used to, I did think he'd struggle a bit but happy to admit I was wrong, it's almost as if Tom relished it. Huge carries, putting their line on the back foot as he made a massive 173 meters, third highest for the team on the night. Onya Tommy!!

S.Mitchell: What do you say about Shaq last night? There's probably not enough words to give him the biggest wrap he deserves after that performance. I was really concerned when Arrow went off because I knew Shaq would have to play big minutes. He's worked hard on his fitness and looks great but I don't think it would have been in the plan for him to play even close to that many minutes. But you know what? He did. He got through it. And not only that, but he was one of our best!! Huge impact off the bench and really helped turn the game in our favour, then maintain it. Some of his carries were simply barnstorming and it actually looked like Cronulla struggled to handle him. 125 meters in 45 minutes of game time for Shaq. I can't praise him enough. Has already earnt a spot on the bench moving forward with that performance. Davvy was really good, but I thought Shaq was better.

So there you have it, my first big review of 2023!! Great to be back doing it again. Great to have the Footy back.

So proud of our boys and the way they did it with 15 men, at a ground we haven't won at in nine years, against one of the top sides.

Glory, Glory!!!!
Great wrap up !

Great game by Lachie and big games by Davvy and Shaq.

JD says Shaq offers something different off the bench. With his big body and footwork it takes 2 or 3 to put him down and saps a lot of energy from the defence.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I had to work last night and I watched it back last night and again not long ago! WHAT A WIN! Man I’m so proud of this team and how they wanna put in for one another. That last night with all that happened was the true South Sydney spirit! Especially at Shark Park where we haven’t won since 2014. Only having a one prop rotation for the last 60mins. What a way to start the season!

Campbell and Tass what can you say they were both awesome especially with the shit work they were relentless. Thompson had a mixed bag but a better second half I think we should persist with him. AJ also has a mixed bag a poor error under the high ball and a couple of bad reads. Trell was solid a bit quieter than usual. Geez I hope that knee is ok.

Cody was solid but a bit quieter. Ilias what can you say that was a sensational performance to start the year will be great for his confidence.

Losing Tatola early was a massive blow no way he plays next week. Cookie was awesome for mine a great way for him to start the season and his running game was lethal he’s in for a big year with a point to prove. Moale played well made 150 metres and made his tackles very busy. Keaon well he was in beast mode whatever S. Burgess said to him I can already see more aggression in him. I reckon he could play origin this year. Cheeks on the edge hasn’t played much footy last two years he didn’t let us down he did exactly what we needed and I’m proud of him. Murray what can you he played the full 80 man he did what he does absolute class! We couldn’t give him a breather either with all the injuries. Arrow let’s hope it’s not as bad as it looked.

Tom made big metres 173 what a performance it was from him. Shaq I’m bloody proud of as well he really stepped up in his 45mins and boy didn’t he look good he did the jersey so proud!

All in all I’ve got a massive smile on my face today!

GLORY GLORY ALTOGETHER NOW LOUD AND PROUD!!!

soc123_au

Staff member
@soc123_au mod buddy, I expect the same in—depth analysis instead of

“Nate played like stuffed Turkey”

“Salmon needs to be battered and Fried”

“My 4 year old could have caught that”

“ We were garbage”

You Souths blokes are surely blessed.
@callmack1 has me well covered with his pre and post game reports. At the speed I type it would be a full time job.