What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 SF Fri - Melbourne 18-13 Sydney @ AAMI

Finals Week 2: Melbourne v Sydney

• Melbourne Storm

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gerg

Juniors
I know this is the general narrative here but there’s not a statistic that actually backs that up, is there? The rest of the stuff, grappling, wrestling etc. was authored by Storm

Your supporters have complained for that same decade or two about being the highest penalised team in the competition. Surely that's enough data for you, isn't it? Storm have introduced most of the despicable tackling techniques but your mob is constantly offside on your tryline. Your tryline was impenetrable (shoutout to SLRBroncos) for all those years prior to V'landysball being introduced, because they were constantly offside and spoiling the ruck. Willing to give away penalty after penalty because you would reset the line and then be offside for the entire set and spoil the ruck.

V'landysball was introduced to stop the Roosters and the Storm from ruining the f***ing game with these bullshit tactics.

Your supporters have complained for that same decade or two about being the highest penalised team in the competition. Surely that's enough data for you, isn't it? Storm have introduced most of the despicable tackling techniques but your mob is constantly offside on your tryline. Your tryline was impenetrable (shoutout to SLRBroncos) for all those years prior to V'landysball being introduced, because they were constantly offside and spoiling the ruck. Willing to give away penalty after penalty because you would reset the line and then be offside for the entire set and spoil the ruck.

V'landysball was introduced to stop the Roosters and the Storm from ruining the f***ing game with these bullshit tactics.
So you don’t have anything but just lazily going with the narrative. Sterlo once brought up a stat on his last show (the narrative existed back then too) that demonstrated Roosters giving away more penalties in the opps’ half so if anything, we’re guilty of giving piggybacks.

gerg

Juniors
So you don’t have anything but just lazily going with the narrative. Sterlo once brought up a stat on his last show (the narrative existed back then too) that demonstrated Roosters giving away more penalties in the opps’ half so if anything, we’re guilty of giving piggybacks.

I have eyes. In this very thread roosters supporters are complaining about game management to balance the game. We've all seen teams in the past get penalised a thousand times and then in the second half apparently they're squeaky clean and the other team is penalised. It's hard to provide concrete evidence or data when games are being manipulated to that extent.

If a 'narrative' is created by supporters of every single other team in the competition, you can choose to stick your fingers in your ears and pretend there's nothing to it, or it's simply jealousy or maybe there is something actually to it.

I have eyes. In this very thread roosters supporters are complaining about game management to balance the game. We've all seen teams in the past get penalised a thousand times and then in the second half apparently they're squeaky clean and the other team is penalised. It's hard to provide concrete evidence or data when games are being manipulated to that extent.

If a 'narrative' is created by supporters of every single other team in the competition, you can choose to stick your fingers in your ears and pretend there's nothing to it, or it's simply jealousy or maybe there is something actually to it.
Yeh I can’t help thinking games are managed more often than not but if game day threads are any ing to go by, you can’t base assessments on what fans think. Too much emotion involved

gerg

Juniors
Yeh I can’t help thinking games are managed more often than not but if game day threads are any ing to go by, you can’t base assessments on what fans think. Too much emotion involved

Ok a single sample from last night's game. The field goal. That was an illegal wall setup next to the play the ball. Wasn't called, so there's no data / no penalty to indicate that Roosters break the rules more than other sides. Is it lazy to see that and comment on it?

Valheru

Coach

Sorry but you're wrong, we aren't the most penalised team over the last 10 years, we receive the least penalties which is a big difference.

Also our goal line defence this year was statistically the best in the comp and most of our issues this year were with the ball, not without it.

Saxon

Bench
Would have been a totally different result if either Toupu or Suallii had played.

They would have easily diffused that bomb and 3 minutes earlier would have caught Wong's pass and run the distance.
Yeah, but if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.
You could throw out similar arguments for Hughes and Paps being in the Storm side. More kicks to Warbrick and a speedster following through to capitalise on Welsh's intercept.

You can only f*ck with the dick you've got.

Ok a single sample from last night's game. The field goal. That was an illegal wall setup next to the play the ball. Wasn't called, so there's no data / no penalty to indicate that Roosters break the rules more than other sides. Is it lazy to see that and comment on it?
That’s a massive call. Ask yourself if there’s a reason why there wasn’t a single complaint from any Storm players given their milking last night. Also, I bet your eagle wasn’t as astute when Roosters had the ball.

Anyway, your argument seems to have now gone from ‘Roosters giving away the most penalties on their goal line’ to ‘there’s no stats of Roosters being offside on there goal line because refs don’t penalise them when they should.’

Valheru

Coach
To all the Roosters fans who misses out in the back line when Young joins the team ?

Currently it's
1 teddy
2 toupu
3 Smith
4 manu
5 suallii

Smith would have been the obvious choice buts he's been the most dangers in attack this season.

Maybe they'll let suallii go to rugby and free up 750k cap space ?
Smith and Manu must start at centre and young must start on the wing. I have nothing against sualli and will welcome him back in 4 years time but I would release him now and free up the space. We have Allen and pauga for depth plus another young kid whose name escapes me coming through.

In the forwards with leniu coming over, sitilli coming back from injury and the emergence of May and Wong to add to Collins, JWH, the butchers and radley I would also look to release crighton to rugby early which with sualli would free up a tonne of space.

Smith and Manu must start at centre and young must start on the wing. I have nothing against sualli and will welcome him back in 4 years time but I would release him now and free up the space. We have Allen and pauga for depth plus another young kid whose name escapes me coming through.

In the forwards with leniu coming over, sitilli coming back from injury and the emergence of May and Wong to add to Collins, JWH, the butchers and radley I would also look to release crighton to rugby early which with sualli would free up a tonne of space.

Problem is the ARU don't want him for next year, so if the Roosters released Suaalii they wouild have to pay him out for the remaining amount, in full, which is no saving on the salary cap aas that payout counts under the cap. Secondly, it assumes that Smith's jaw will be fully healed by then. Its a bit too early to say. Also Tupes being in the veteran class picks up injuries more often these days and we don't know how his knee injury is healing.

Thirdly, and more importantly, when you consider the injuries the team's had in the three quarters over the last 3 years or so, we need the depth in the three quarter line. The only advantage to releasing Crichton, who's contract expires at the conclusion of 2024 (along with Suaalii and JWH) will creatre the cap space to re-sign and upgrade players like Wong, May, Nat Butcher and Sitili.

gerg

Juniors
That’s a massive call. Ask yourself if there’s a reason why there wasn’t a single complaint from any Storm players given their milking last night. Also, I bet your eagle wasn’t as astute when Roosters had the ball.

Anyway, your argument seems to have now gone from ‘Roosters giving away the most penalties on their goal line’ to ‘there’s no stats of Roosters being offside on there goal line because refs don’t penalise them when they should.’

No my argument isn't changing, I'm directly responding to your comment about it being a lazy narrative instead of using statistics. There's no data if the team isn't penalised. That's why I used the 'no call' on the wall example. There's no data on that. It's illegal and should have been penalised.

And you may not be the most penalised team but again (as above), that is what I'm talking about with games being managed. Ref's will do their best to balance out a penalty count. Teams know this. They'll happily give away ten penalties in the first half knowing that they don't need to modify that as those indiscretions will be overlooked in the second half to balance the penalty count.

Problem is the ARU don't want him for next year, so if the Roosters released Suaalii they wouild have to pay him out for the remaining amount, in full, which is no saving on the salary cap aas that payout counts under the cap. Secondly, it assumes that Smith's jaw will be fully healed by then. Its a bit too early to say. Also Tupes being in the veteran class picks up injuries more often these days and we don't know how his knee injury is healing.

Thirdly, and more importantly, when you consider the injuries the team's had in the three quarters over the last 3 years or so, we need the depth in the three quarter line. The only advantage to releasing Crichton, who's contract expires at the conclusion of 2024 (along with Suaalii and JWH) will creatre the cap space to re-sign and upgrade players like Wong, May, Nat Butcher and Sitili.
I thought the ARU said they’d accept Sualli earl? I think you raise good points btw

No my argument isn't changing, I'm directly responding to your comment about it being a lazy narrative instead of using statistics. There's no data if the team isn't penalised. That's why I used the 'no call' on the wall example. There's no data on that. It's illegal and should have been penalised.

And you may not be the most penalised team but again (as above), that is what I'm talking about with games being managed. Ref's will do their best to balance out a penalty count. Teams know this. They'll happily give away ten penalties in the first half knowing that they don't need to modify that as those indiscretions will be overlooked in the second half to balance the penalty count.
Stats must exist because fans are the ones saying that Roosters give away the most penalties on their goal line. Not you of course because you have eyes and don’t needs stats

Valheru

Coach

ARU 100% want him early and would take him as the new world cup cycle starts next year. Not sure if they would take crighton or not.

That's not to say your points arent valid. Smith will be ready for round 1, he was a chance of playing the GF if we got there. There is something to be said about depth but I don't see any utility in having highly paid players like young or sualli in reserve grade. We have the depth players in pauga, momo, Allen and the young kid to cover injuries.

In a world where we do release those 2 players early without paying them out our best 17 IMO is

Teddy
Toops
Smith
Manu
Young
Keary
Walker
Collins
Smith
Leniu
Sitilli
Wong
Radley

May
JWH
N Butcher
Smith

That is a real good side and leaves pauga, Allen, momo, E butcher, whyte and Watson for depth along with cheap of frees cap space to upgrade players and/or go to market.

ARU 100% want him early and would take him as the new world cup cycle starts next year. Not sure if they would take crighton or not.

That's not to say your points arent valid. Smith will be ready for round 1, he was a chance of playing the GF if we got there. There is something to be said about depth but I don't see any utility in having highly paid players like young or sualli in reserve grade. We have the depth players in pauga, momo, Allen and the young kid to cover injuries.

In a world where we do release those 2 players early without paying them out our best 17 IMO is

Teddy
Toops
Smith
Manu
Young
Keary
Walker
Collins
Smith
Leniu
Sitilli
Wong
Radley

May
JWH
N Butcher
Smith

That is a real good side and leaves pauga, Allen, momo, E butcher, whyte and Watson for depth along with cheap of frees cap space to upgrade players and/or go to market.

So we blow a few hundred thousand on the 2024 salary cap to release Suaalli, which leave us $0 as a result to add to squad depth? Makes zero sense. Also have a look at how long some of our top line three quarters have spent out injured over the last 3 seasons.

Tupou has only managed 1 season in a 3 year period to play all games.

Billy Smith? Has managed only 1 season out of 4 to play more than 7 games in a season, and that was this season with 15.

Manu has missed a game or two over each of the last 3 seasoins I believe.

Suaalii only managed 5 games his first year prior to injury. Played 19 last yerar and only 21 this year.

Even Teddy has missed a few games.

Add in injuries to Kearry and we need all the depoth and quality we can get. You cannot expect that injuries will not happen, nor that we won't get any that will be long term. Its one thing to rely on a Momo or Pauga for a game or two, another for 7-10 matches especially if that incluyeds a finals run.

Also you keep going onm about creating cap space. Releasing Crichton and Suaalii will require a payout fo sdome sort. If it winds up being the full contract payment, which they could demand and the Roosters would have no leg to stand on legally if the player demanded that, then it will not create any cap space for 2024. It is payout players to leave early which has gotten clubs like the Bulldogs, Manly and the Wests Tigers into such trouble - they've been paying for players at other clubs for years.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade

Couldn’t watch the match and not read the thread, but the sickly toddler can throw a good tantrum.