What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 TV/Fox/Streaming Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mongoose

Coach
I streamed the game from 9Now. No issues and it was in HD.

There's no way I could have tolerated the mudsmear of their network SD.

Commentary though these days on both 9 and Fox is glorified reaction videos, no genuine commentary.
only half decent commentator is Warren Smith, even he sounds a bit robotic... All the others are just dreadful - Mark Thompson might just be the worst.

Wb1234

Referee
only half decent commentator is Warren Smith, even he sounds a bit robotic... All the others are just dreadful - Mark Thompson might just be the worst.
Smith is the best commentator bar none

vossy is good too

fox commentary adds to watching of the game nines doesn’t

It’s pretty funny how much my innocuous post is living rent free in your head that you had to go back that far to attempt to make fun me. Get over it lol.
If it's any consolation, you were just an afterthought. I went back to find a post from Wb1234, spotted yours just above, and decided to have another pop at you too.

Gratuitously gloomy expressions of detachment are not entirely innocuous. NRL fans shouldn't fall into the trap of imitating those villains for whom there's social cachet in affecting indifference to RL.

Crowds drop every single year when origin comes around. Not demure what rock you’ve been living under but the fact that origin has an impact on the NRL isn’t an unknown or new phenomenon.
This might be collective self-fulfilling prophecy. Origin-affected rounds are written off beforehand by oracles who relish the received wisdom that such NRL games are undeserving of interest. This despite the fact that they follow and watch them on TV.

For the number 1 code in England it's the other way round. People with negligible interest in Soccer pretend to be devotees who can't get enough. Probably the same with AFL in Melbourne.

Any way of weighting these Origin figures to take account of the general decline in terrestrial TV?

Thereby more accurately gauging the value to the broadcasters.

Last edited:

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Gratuitously gloomy expressions of detachment are not entirely innocuous. NRL fans shouldn't fall into the trap of imitating those villains for whom there's social cachet in affecting indifference to RL
Pity you couldn`t have used a word starting with `g` for "expressions", "detachment" and " innocuous", would have sounded better.

For the number 1 code in England it's the other way round. People with negligible interest in Soccer pretend to be devotees who can't get enough. Probably the same with AFL in Melbourne.
I remember an interview with a Sydney journalist from the ABC years ago who was posted to Melbourne. She said when she first arrived there, people would turn their back on her at afterwork drinks and parties if they asked what team she supported and she said she didn`t follow the game. She said she pretty quickly learnt to pretend.

😑

Pneuma

First Grade
Pity you couldn`t have used a word starting with `g` for "expressions", "detachment" and " innocuous", would have sounded better.

I remember an interview with a Sydney journalist from the ABC years ago who was posted to Melbourne. She said when she first arrived there, people would turn their back on her at afterwork drinks and parties if they asked what team she supported and she said she didn`t follow the game. She said she pretty quickly learnt to pretend.

😑
Living in a fumbling state nothing gives me more pleasure than taking the piss out of those idiots.

The_Wookie

Bench
PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS:
  • State of Origin - Game 1 is the highest rating program of the year
  • State of Origin - Game 1 is the highest rating match since Game 1 in 2018
  • State of Origin - Game 1 smashed live streaming records, achieving the highest ever Live BVOD Audience of all time against all broadcasters.
  • State of Origin - Game 1 2023 up on last year State of Origin Match 1 by +11.9% Metro, 22.1% Regional, 26.1% BVOD and 16.5% TTL TV
  • State of Origin - Game 1 2023 is the highest rating State of Origin game in Adelaide of all time
  • State of Origin Match recorded a Live BVOD Audience of 536,000 (+26% YoY)..
  • State of Origin Match completely dominated its timeslot with Total People and all key demos across the 5 City Metro and East Coast and in all major capital cities

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I wonder how much was due to the fact that it was taken to Adeaide. Great ratings for a non-origin type of game, but with an origin type of finish.
It`s interesting because I found the game to be a bit tedious, so many sets were one out hit-ups and then kick, the sort of thing the game is criticised for by its` detractors.
It was almost as if both teams had been instructed not to take any chances for fear of losing the ball in poor territory.
Admittedly the atmosphere at the game seemed fantastic, with the crowd right into it. I wonder if any other posters felt the same.

Bear in mind that VOZ is supposed to be more accurate than the prelim overnights we've been getting
Oztam VOZ - Metro 1.802, Reg 973, BVOD 536.

Oztam Prelim - Metro 1.981, Reg 904, BVOD 536.

So basic Oztam overestimates metro and underestimates regional by comparison with deluxe Oztam. And the discrepancies are not trivial. The only truly reliable figure would seem to be BVOD.

Is this exceptional or the pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts