What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

gordsy

Juniors
20k for a finals game is rubbish, would have been Interesting to seen how Nicho went if Trindall wasn't so great for the Sharkies last night.

DIOGENES

Juniors
For what it is worth...
Something I have wondered about and I have a spare 30 minutes.
Using Austadium average data for both sports the proportion of NRL crowds to AFL crowds:
e.g.: 2024: 20,105/37,797 = 53%
2023: 52%
2022: 51%
20/21: Covid affected
2019: 45%
2018: 45%
2017: 45%
2016: 48%
2015: 48%

2003: 45%

AFL has had sluggish growth in the last 20 years compared to NRL's last 3 seasons.

Vlad59

Bench
For what it is worth...
Something I have wondered about and I have a spare 30 minutes.
Using Austadium average data for both sports the proportion of NRL crowds to AFL crowds:
e.g.: 2024: 20,105/37,797 = 53%
2023: 52%
2022: 51%
20/21: Covid affected
2019: 45%
2018: 45%
2017: 45%
2016: 48%
2015: 48%

2003: 45%

AFL has had sluggish growth in the last 20 years compared to NRL's last 3 seasons.
I did that the other day but not to the same level of detail. We’ve had huge growth in recent times. They’ve probably peaked but we’ve got plenty of room for growth

Gobsmacked

Bench
Hahajahahahahahahahahahahaha afl crowds will be cracking 130k plus for the weekend while this minnow sport will be celebrating 60k
A minnow that outrated the AFL in Australia.. the entire pacific and is played at a professional level across 4 countries.
After our grand final, we'll be enjoying watching a sold out international vs NZ in Christchurch , a sold out international in Papua new Guinea ( the national sport there with a population of 11 million btw) England internationals... After they have 60k in attendance for their final in a separate professional comp in Europe...
We're so intimidated by the AFL , I guess we'll just have to go to Vegas..🥲

Valheru

Coach
Manly fans can leave the peninsula but Sharks can’t leave the shire
I doubt there are any more manly fans going tonight than sharks fans last night. In fact, it's probably less.

I expect tonight to be 60-70% roosters.

Iamback

Coach
Just for perspective, I was at the game last night.
As the trains were out, a good friend gave me a lift. I live halfway between Cronulla and Moore Park, usually takes 20mins by car to get to the SFS.
Last night it took 1.5 hrs.
It was a shit fight.

That is it.

Alot on here look at a map and think these trips are easy. In reality it is double the time Google says

CAS

Juniors
As someone who doesn't know Sydney at all, just checked out a map breakdown and it looks like the Shire as its called is a bit out of the way from the centre of the City which is where I believe the Allianz Ground is, looks like possibly Manly to Cronulla is the biggest distance between 2 x Sydney teams but others from there might put me right on that score.
Be interesting as far as local Derbies go which 2 teams or areas/suburbs are closest to each other in distance.

Valheru

Coach
Sharks got 19k and had two genuine sets of circumstances going against them

1 - direct clash with swans prelim
2 - train debacle.

Not unreasonable to suggest they get 25k if both those things aren't in play.

What would other Sydney teams get against the same opponent for a week 2 fixture?

Roosters - I reckon we get 30-32k

Manly - can't see them getting more than 25k

St George - who could say with their fans current cynical attitude towards the club.

Tigers - see above

Penrith - I don't think they get more than 25k at ANZ

Dogs - 50k on the current wave of support but after a few years of finals appearances probably something more in line with parra. History proves that consistent success doesn't lead to outlier crowds, it is the initial season of success that provides that.

Parra - 40k which they proved in 2017

Souths - probably the same as us.

Vee

First Grade
Don't discount the number of Roosters fans. For a team that others used to pour scorn on regarding their crowds they've gained a lot of support over the years due to their on field success.
And their rolled gold stadium. And their success is related to their sombrero.

Latest posts