What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

shewi6

Juniors
It also creates equality in the series. One home, one away, one neutral.
Yep and I have grown to really enjoy that aspect.
I know the diehards dont like it but I remember the days when nsw had two games and there was always alarmist articles in the paper about how the crowd would be so low and that origin is dying.

Having a neutral game has not only raised the profile of the game in those areas, but I believe it has strengthened and grown origin overall.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Do you think there's an appetite for an Origin game in Melbourne every two years? Or is three just right?

Looking at the crowds we get you seem to be maximising the revenue from the neutral game by playing it in Melbourne as much as you can, providing it doesn't become stale to the locals down there
If we can sacrifice a QLD pretty boy in every game 1, then it wwill work every 2 years in Melbourne.

shewi6

Juniors
They're going to play it 10PM local in Auckland?
That is one challenge they are trying to work through with ch9 and the auckland council.
Last I read was a 9pm kickoff in NZ is what they are proposing which ch9 is obviously opposed to and there is a matter of a noise level exemption needed to play that late at eden park.

It has apparently been done before for the rwc final.

jim_57

Staff member
Also let's not forget that Auckland is angling to get a game in the future too.
There is enough cities that are happy to bid and pay a huge fee for the privilege of hosting that there may not be a choice of alternating every second year.

Agree that adelaide is lowest on the priority list, but as long as they pay then they should get an odd game.
Origin still remains the biggest and best way to raise the profile of the game outside of nsw/qld.

Some kind of rotation between Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide & Auckland. I agree Melbourne should have it more often than Adelaide for example so not a simple 4 year cycle of 1 each.

The neutral game every year has been a great idea, makes money, gives NSW/QLD fans an event to travel to, give a big RL event to whichever city hosts it and keeps each series fair in terms of home ground advantage.

jim_57

Staff member
That is one challenge they are trying to work through with ch9 and the auckland council.
Last I read was a 9pm kickoff in NZ is what they are proposing which ch9 is obviously opposed to and there is a matter of a noise level exemption needed to play that late at eden park.

It was only 2 years ago when Origin was Sunday night once a year, these things are hardly set it stone. Even if it came to a late night game in Auckland I’m sure it would still sell out.

shewi6

Juniors
It was only 2 years ago when Origin was Sunday night once a year, these things are hardly set it stone. Even if it came to a late night game in Auckland I’m sure it would still sell out.
I have no doubt it will be a huge event in Auckland regardless of the time it is played.
I am sure the nrl would work through whatever challenges there are to get a game there.

Valheru

Coach

Surely the answer is a weekend fixture?

keeps each series fair in terms of home ground advantage.
It also creates equality in the series. One home, one away, one neutral.
Technically it`s not fair at all. Queensland could be quite confident of wrapping this series up if it had been played in their state like it would have been in years gone by. Similarly N.S.W. would be more confident of winning the series-had it come down to a decider- if the last game was then played in their backyard. This scenario occurs every year when the second game is taken to a "neutral" venue.
The facts of the matter are that both states are sacrificing something each year for the overall good of the game.

wain

Juniors
Once Perth comes in it would be good to see it alternate between Perth and Melbourne every two years to support our two foreign lands teams with huge RL events.

Adelaide can be put on the backburner as they don't even sell it out so f**k them
2023:
Adelaide Oval - 48,613 (capacity: 53,500) = 90.8%
Accor Stadium - 75,342 (capacity: 82,000) = 91.4%

No more games in Sydney then?
I'd be surprised if we had as many interstate travellers to Adl (as Melb) due to proximity...and a population of 1.4mil compared to Perth 2.3mil. Not bad for a city with no real RL presence.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
2023:
Adelaide Oval - 48,613 (capacity: 53,500) = 90.8%
Accor Stadium - 75,342 (capacity: 82,000) = 91.4%

No more games in Sydney then?
I'd be surprised if we had as many interstate travellers to Adl (as Melb) due to proximity...and a population of 1.4mil compared to Perth 2.3mil. Not bad for a city with no real RL presence.
What point are you making with the Sydney comparison? Other than the fact that 75k is shitloads more than 48k, Sydney will always have a game because they have a team in the event. Adelaide doesn't get that privilege. If you aren't going to sell out your 53k stadium then we'll take the game to any number of places queueing up to host it that will.

Valheru

Coach
6pm NZST/4pm AEST Sunday afternoon would work, and Nine get their all-important lead in to the news.
Origin would take a ratings hit in that timeslot and I don't think anyone including the NRL would stand for that.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Broncos update:

- V Penrith next week - after a week of only single seats being available, the Broncos ticketing staff finally released the 200 remaining restricted view seats available in level 7 north - poor.

- V Dragons round 19 - levels 3,5 and 6 have sold to single seats, and the Broncos ticketing staff have not opened level 7 yet. Poor.

Might be time for me to Karen them again.