What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

horrie hastings

First Grade
I think that’s the third sellout at Campbelltown for WT’s this season.
I can’t remember it happening before this year (I’m sure someone will correct me if that’s wrong).
Maybe Richo coming out and saying that they will start to pay attention to the region might have been just the ticket.
Not having a dig but wasn't the last time they announced a sellout at Campbelltown there were only just over 11,000 when they announced the official crowd ?

Billythekid

First Grade
I think what's been lost in the aftermath of yesterday's game is how impressive that crowd was, it obliterated the regular season record between the two set in 2000.

Roosters have shown some initiative and tried to create a 2nd event game (ANZAC Day being the first) with this emergency services theme and the inaugural one was a resounding success. It has longevity in it as well as I understand it they will rotate who they honour (fire service or ambos next year).

Should be more of this by all the clubs. I'm sure there are plenty of themes and events to be taken advantage of.
How often do any Sydney teams get a crowd like that against a non Sydney side let alone Canberra? It was a fantastic crowd.
They shouldn't neglect it. I have heard the 'demographic' arguments and I reckon they are bullshit.

It is entirely possible to get non traditional supporters of the sport into the game. Another thing I will credit the Roosters with is the fact they have a fairly healthy contingent of people of East Asian heritage supporting them.
I think this is something that isn’t spoken about enough. You always hear talk about how certain cities or suburbs are seeing huge population growth and the potential for sports to capitalise on it but few talk about the source of that growth.

Australia’s birth rate has plummeted like most of the world and the only reason we’re still growing is because of immigration. These are people from different cultures and likely different sporting backgrounds. If sporting codes are serious about expanding their supporter bases they need to be looking at targeting different cultures as well.

I think what's been lost in the aftermath of yesterday's game is how impressive that crowd was, it obliterated the regular season record between the two set in 2000.

Roosters have shown some initiative and tried to create a 2nd event game (ANZAC Day being the first) with this emergency services theme and the inaugural one was a resounding success. It has longevity in it as well as I understand it they will rotate who they honour (fire service or ambos next year).

Should be more of this by all the clubs. I'm sure there are plenty of themes and events to be taken advantage of.

I agree.

According to Rugby League Tables, in 2018 the Roosters averaged 13,274 when their primary home was Allianz 1.0 (away team for ANZAC Day and excluding double headers and/or Magic Round for consistency).

In 2024, the Roosters have averaged 21,784 when their primary home was Allianz 2.0 (away team for ANZAC Day and excluding double headers and/or Magic Round for consistency).

That's a phenomenal 64% increase in attendance in six years. It also means the Roosters have gone from having the third lowest home average of a Sydney team in 2018 to the highest home average in 2024.

Clearly the new stadium is a part of this, but as Valheru said, you can also put it down to the determination to create more event games, as well as good promotional campaigns (such as 2 for 1 deals on Mondays), and also improved public transport connectivity with the L2 and L3 Lines running direct to Moore Park.

In 2025, it will be interesting to see if the NRL supports the Roosters' Eora Round proposal, which would see the Roosters host the Bulldogs at Allianz on a Friday night for Indigenous Round. That would give the Roosters a monumental lineup of marquee games in 2025 including:
- Annual clash vs Rabbitohs (with the Wayne Bennett factor) in R3.
- ANZAC Day vs Dragons
- Eora Round vs Bulldogs
- Emergency Services Round vs Raiders

The Roosters could clear a 25k average in 2025 and be second only to the Broncos next year.

I think the Bulldogs could also challenge for No.2 in 2025:
- Good Friday vs Rabbitohs at Accor. This could draw 50k for the first time in over a decade, especially if both teams start the new season well.
- King's Birthday vs Eels at Accor. This could also draw 50k, especially if both teams are in or near the top 8 come winter.
- Venues NSW proposal for Multicultural Round vs Dragons on a Sunday afternoon at Accor.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Don’t think so

Tigers v Dragons 17141
Tigers v Brisbane 17351

were the 2 sell out games at C’town

Yes, my bad, i should have checked but was thinking the game against Canberra or Souths they were saying a sellout or very close to it to one of them, think it was Souths game but it only attracted 11,000.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Yes, my bad, i should have checked but was thinking the game against Canberra or Souths they were saying a sellout or very close to it to one of them, think it was Souths game but it only attracted 11,000.

Yeah mate, that was the souffs game … Tigers socials said there were less than 1,000 tickets remaining yet only 11,000 rocked up haha

Tigers PR team is just as amateur as the NRL team sometimes