What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

BuffaloRules

Coach
It’ll be 27 years when the bears come back

Not exactly sure of your point …

Are the WT really gunna rebrand as Wests Magpies after 25 years ? I’ve been wrong before many times … but I don’t see it happening … Campbelltown is the future of the team moving forward … but is this what they want there ?

Iamback

Coach
Not exactly sure of your point …

Are the WT really gunna rebrand as Wests Magpies after 25 years ? I’ve been wrong before many times … but I don’t see it happening … Campbelltown is the future of the team .. but is this what they want ?

Balmain owns 10% only - Easy enough to buy out if they want

The growth area is Campbelltown IF Balmain wanted a split then why not

i0Nic

Juniors
It’s never changing from Wests Tigers now and Balmain aren’t going anywhere regardless.

If there’s ever an east Brisbane team it’s not going to be called Tigers.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Balmain owns 10% only - Easy enough to buy out if they want

The growth area is Campbelltown IF Balmain wanted a split then why not

Did Balmain make those comments or one rogue director ?

Wests Ashfield could have bought out Balmain long ago … they gifted Balmain the 10 percent they still own

The growth area is clearly Campbelltown which is parroting what I said … that’s a different argument to whether they want to walk away from 25 years of branding though

Suitman

Post Whore
The main reasons I think are Rugby dying in Australia and improving the NRL's image.

It wasn't that long ago that 5-10+ players were getting done with sexual and violent assault against women every year with nothing more than a fine and a couple of games suspension. Not exactly appealing to women.

It wasn't anywhere near family-friendly either. Too many fights, too many head highs, and dangerous tackles that got let go. Crowd behavior was pretty appalling. Half the players either had criminal records or drunk driving charges. Not exactly good role models or a safe sport to get your kids into.

In short - the NRL was looked down on by a lot of demographics as a low-class, violent sport full of thugs. It now has mass appeal to the majority of demographics.

There is seriously too much crap in this post to decipher.
But let's try. Just think about these accusations everyone.

1. 5 - 10+ players being done for sexual and violent assault against woman every year. (source or proof?)
2. It wasn't anywhere near family-friendly either. Too many fights, (really? Proof?)
3. too many head highs, and dangerous tackles that got let go. (Lol)
4. Crowd behavior was pretty appalling. (Again, lol)
5. Half the players either had criminal records or drunk driving charges. (Really? - Half the players?)

This post should have been deleted without sources for the claims.

DIOGENES

Juniors
The main reasons I think are Rugby dying in Australia and improving the NRL's image.

It wasn't that long ago that 5-10+ players were getting done with sexual and violent assault against women every year with nothing more than a fine and a couple of games suspension. Not exactly appealing to women.

It wasn't anywhere near family-friendly either. Too many fights, too many head highs, and dangerous tackles that got let go. Crowd behavior was pretty appalling. Half the players either had criminal records or drunk driving charges. Not exactly good role models or a safe sport to get your kids into.

In short - the NRL was looked down on by a lot of demographics as a low-class, violent sport full of thugs. It now has mass appeal to the majority of demographics.
I think the main beneficiary of Rugby dying in Sydney is AFL - look where the Swans' fans live. Rugby has died because it is boring but those who followed it would get migraines and/or nose bleeds if they watched NRL.

Iamback

Coach
Did Balmain make those comments or one rogue director ?

Wests Ashfield could have bought out Balmain long ago … they gifted Balmain the 10 percent they still own

The growth area is clearly Campbelltown which is parroting what I said … that’s a different argument to whether they want to walk away from 25 years of branding though

Balmain would rather have 10% of something then die out

Well those kids come through in Wests Magpies colours and logo

This year they made the Matts GF as Magpies on the back of winning that same competition a couple of seasons ago as Magpies.

So the Magpies are still floating around as a brand.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Balmain would rather have 10% of something then die out

Well those kids come through in Wests Magpies colours and logo

This year they made the Matts GF as Magpies on the back of winning that same competition a couple of seasons ago as Magpies.

So the Magpies are still floating around as a brand.

And what does that mean to the people that have paid to show up this year and the last 25 years to watch the Wests Tigers ?

Billythekid

First Grade
It’s hard to say exactly why crowds have grown so suddenly. The quality of the games and the new stadiums have certainly helped. As crowds grow you also have more people wanting to come and experience that.

Personally I think possibly the biggest factor is the introduction of the dolphins. It feels like the game is growing again and there hasn’t been this much positivity And enthusiasm for the game since maybe just before the super league era.

The crazy thing is the comp hasn’t actually been all that even. You have to go back to 2016 for a team not named roosters, storm or panthers to have won a comp and it’s not like roosters or storm had been struggling prior to that either. We’ve also had a lot of teams who are just perennial losers.

On top of that generally we’ve seen a lot of our bigger teams struggling for success. Teams like panthers, manly, sharks, storm aren’t historically the biggest drawers for example. Meanwhile so many of our big teams have been languishing down the bottom, especially Sydney sides.
I can't speak for others but Panthers have a stack of younger fans and the social media team have nailed it in the last 5-10 years

couple that with a great team. Next year will be a drop that said
I might sound like a hater but any team in the comp would draw 20K+ per game after winning 3 straight comps. I’m not doubting that the panthers have done other good things but that’s the big reason for the growth.