What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Vlad59

Bench
Now that’s a f**king crowd! The Hunter deserves a bigger better stadium and I hope the knights packing it out regularly pushes the issue. Everyone likes to talk about Sydney stadiums but Newcastle deserves an upgrade before any of those suburban grounds IMO.

Eh a 50K stadium might be nice for big events and finals but for the regular season AAMI park is perfect. I wish capacity was a little higher but it’s not that bad.
It looks and sounds f**king amazing at the ground and on TV.
Yeah I get that but fact is this is the 21st century and a city of 5 million has a rectangular stadium which at most holds 30000. The larger grounds in Melbourne provide a sub standard experience for league union and football fans. You’d think with some forward thinking a 50000 stadium would be in the wings but no.

undertaker

Coach
Also, it doesn't sit well with me that several Sydney suburban grounds that used to get much larger crowds in the past have now had their ground capacity capped at what I feel is too low.

Most obvious case in point being Brookvale Oval. I still remember when Brookie used to accommodate 20k+ fans.

With the constant 17k-17.4k "sellout" crowds Manly have got at Brookie throughout this year, surely the NRL have got to do something to get the capacity of grounds such as theirs, Campbelltown, Shark Park etc. to AT LEAST 20k at the bare minimum.

That would've been absolutely farcical if Brookvale was hosting a final next week.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach

Suitman

Post Whore

That is a great chart and almost unheard of seeing those figures just 3 years ago.
There's still some work to do at the lower end of the scale but the enormous strides the game has made over the past three seasons is incredible.
Just 3 years ago, I couldn't ever see how an attainable 20 000 average would be possible.
Yet, here we almost are. The advancement has been stunning and beyond belief. We should never lose sight of that.

Suitman

Post Whore
I don't see why the NRL would be scared of the GWS Giants.

Methinks the author of that article is a typical SMH AFL flog.

Yep. You are so right.
Did anyone see the amount of GWS fans at the SCG last night?
There was lucky to be a 1000 there in their "cheer bay" Lol.
Which means there was over 42 k Swans fans.
Not even the Wanderers need to be scared of GWS, considering the demographic of Western Sydney.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't see why the NRL would be scared of the GWS Giants.

Methinks the author of that article is a typical SMH AFL flog.
"Being scared" isn't what it's about.

It's about avoiding a logistical nightmare for fans heading to both games, and not putting excess pressure on transport infrastructure. Pretty logical stuff

undertaker

Coach
Yep. You are so right.
Did anyone see the amount of GWS fans at the SCG last night?
There was lucky to be a 1000 there in their "cheer bay" Lol.
Which means there was over 42 k Swans fans.
Not even the Wanderers need to be scared of GWS, considering the demographic of Western Sydney.
ROFL!

Walking in the city yesterday, I only recall walking past three small groups of GWS fans (wearing their club merchandise).

PARRA_FAN

Coach

It's about avoiding a logistical nightmare for fans heading to both games, and not putting excess pressure on transport infrastructure. Pretty logical stuff

You'd hope NSW Transport would have better systems by September and October. Lets hope all goes well by GF day.

However I think playing it on Sunday is the right call.

beave

Coach

30Secs to Mars are also playing Saturday night at Qudos so you'd think there would be 15k+ there as well?

Billythekid

First Grade
The dogs game is the only one that’s not going to sell out or come close to it. It’s the game that most benefits from being in a crowd friendly spot. Not saying that’s why they changed it but NRL gains the most by that game being the Sunday game.

With rain forecast I think anything above 40K will be ok.

Week 2 should see another big crowd in Sydney.