What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Sharks realistically need to own this .. need to realise that the shire will never have enough fans to create long term viability.

They don't need to re locate they just need to grow the brand outside the shire

Have the adopted an area of Qld or NZ as a breeding ground are they playing any pre season games in a defined area to help grow

Do they have any non shire member options

Do they have a quality database of fans outside of shire .. do they have any other supporter clubs?

Are they trying to create a derby game v st George on Easter Thursday at Allianz every year ?

Are they doing anything ?

yakstorm

First Grade
The Swans announced 44,053 last night, but prior to the match had hoped to beat the SCG record they set in 2022 of 46,323 and push the 48,000 capacity.

They were impacted by yesterday's train dramas, as were the NRL. Now would it have drastically changed the crowd? Unlikely, but it would have pushed it over the 20K mark, especially as the Cronulla line was the most affected. That would have put yesterday's match pretty much on par for a Week 2 Finals involving a lower supported Sydney club hosting an out of town club (as much as a number of us hoped, myself included, it would be higher)

Unfortunately factors like it being on a Friday, ticket prices being too high for neutrals & a team that lost Week 1 hosting all work against getting bigger crowds in Sydney.

Anyway, time to focus on tonight, which is going to be close to a full house. This is what's left for Roosters v Manly
Screenshot_20240921_084720_Chrome~2.jpg

Vlad59

Bench
Sharks realistically need to own this .. need to realise that the shire will never have enough fans to create long term viability.

They don't need to re locate they just need to grow the brand outside the shire

Have the adopted an area of Qld or NZ as a breeding ground are they playing any pre season games in a defined area to help grow

Do they have any non shire member options

Do they have a quality database of fans outside of shire .. do they have any other supporter clubs?

Are they trying to create a derby game v st George on Easter Thursday at Allianz every year ?

Are they doing anything ?
To answer part of your question, as a ‘country’ member I don’t find the membership package overly exciting or useful. They might want to work on that to engage a fan base outside Sydney. Interestingly higher quality senior teams from the shire play in the Wollongong comp. I’m not sure that’ll lead to anything.
Given that the club has for the first time in decades some administrative stability I think priorities right now include getting the leagues club back up and running and rebuilding the grounds capacity. I agree we need to push outside the shire boundaries but I’m not sure when they’ll happen. But it needs to.

Fangs

Coach
High and perhaps unrealistic expectations in here.

Predictably crap crowd is crap last night. Tonight's game will draw better I'm sure.

Iamback

Coach
The Swans announced 44,053 last night, but prior to the match had hoped to beat the SCG record they set in 2022 of 46,323 and push the 48,000 capacity.

They were impacted by yesterday's train dramas, as were the NRL. Now would it have drastically changed the crowd? Unlikely, but it would have pushed it over the 20K mark, especially as the Cronulla line was the most affected. That would have put yesterday's match pretty much on par for a Week 2 Finals involving a lower supported Sydney club hosting an out of town club (as much as a number of us hoped, myself included, it would be higher)

Unfortunately factors like it being on a Friday, ticket prices being too high for neutrals & a team that lost Week 1 hosting all work against getting bigger crowds in Sydney.

Anyway, time to focus on tonight, which is going to be close to a full house. This is what's left for Roosters v Manly
View attachment 94432

I don't think it is unrealistic to think that the game lost 5k in Stadium members with the AFL on.

Add another 5k with the Friday night and train dramas.

No reason the same game can't draw 30k if it was better scheduled.

Throw in cheap family tickets and food deals and you get it to $35k.

But the NRL chose to keep the norm

Iamback

Coach
The simple solution is to have Saturday night/ Sunday arvo schedule in weeks 2 and 3. In week 1, the highest tv rating game was Canterbury v Manly, which was on Sunday afternoon.

The value of a Sunday afternoon timeslot is it leads into the news. Plus the GF is on a Sunday, not a Saturday.

Especially if you know the Prelim line up.

Sat and Sun. Means both winners of week 2 get 6 days to prepare.

So there is no advantage can even have Sunday at 3 if it makes it easier for interstate teams to get home