What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Suitman

Post Whore
It's got nothing to do with Sydneysiders, and everything to do with the 2 teams playing having 2 of the smallest fanbases.

Exactly.
If the Bulldogs, Eels, Dragons, Tigers or Rabbitohs were playing it would have been sold out by Tuesday.
How long has it been since the GF hasn't been sold out by this time on game day?

I remember 2002 when 94277 attended Roosters vs Broncos but that was when the capacity was 110 000.

Maximus

Coach
It's in Sydney so if course it has to do with Sydneysiders. If neutrals aren't going then there's no reason not to move it around.

When's the last time it didn't sell out in Sydney? The problem is the ridiculous prices. Most neutrals don't want to spend $300 to sit in the corners, or $400 to sit on the try line to see the same 2 teams that play every year.

Iamback

Coach
When's the last time it didn't sell out in Sydney? The problem is the ridiculous prices. Most neutrals don't want to spend $300 to sit in the corners, or $400 to sit on the try line to see the same 2 teams that play every year.

In 2022. I paid $300 to sit on the try line, paying that for worse seats is madness

Bukowski

Bench
I'm saying that if it doesn't sell out then you can't whinge if they move it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’d say the prices of the less desirable seats are the issue in attracting neutrals. $100-125 and you’re probably getting plenty of neutrals fancying a day out. $200+ and your pushing it uphill.

discounts for full members of the competing clubs would also be a nice value add and membership driver.

Wb1234

Immortal
I’d say the prices of the less desirable seats are the issue in attracting neutrals. $100-125 and you’re probably getting plenty of neutrals fancying a day out. $200+ and your pushing it uphill.

discounts for full members of the competing clubs would also be a nice value add and membership driver.
Jeeze wonder who was saying the dud seats were way too expensive and was told it’s a “major event”

Gobsmacked

Bench
Penrith was tiny when they were admitted in the competition. In fact the estimated population of Penrith City at the time was just 12,138, whilst the Blue Mountains had 21,316.

In the 1990s, when they reached their first premiership, it finally got to around 100,000 for the Penrith region.

By early 2000s, Penrith's population rocketed to 171,000 and now it is around 250,000 (and of course all the surrounding areas have exploded as well.)

The population profile also started changing by around mid-90s, from people migrating out there, to expansion from within (which is generally what you need to build a supporter base)

Now I'm not sure what criteria they used to help decide what teams to add in 1967, but whoever decided on Penrith either had incredible long term foresight around the growth of Sydney or simply didn't care about the size of the community underpinning teams.

As others have said, over the next 10-20 years, the club is going to become one of the big clubs. The success + local population growth + strength of RL in the region almost guarantee it.
Good post ^^^!!!

Gobsmacked

Bench
Yes getting a sellout of 52k at Lang is far better than 80k in Sydney. On the other hand, how much would the Victorian government pay for it. Everything has a price
Not to mention the NRL. The MCG holds 100,000 ? That's another 20,000 tickets! At $500 a pop..10 million! In tickets alone!
A massive statement into AFL heartland!
Media frenzy in Melbourne!
I hope they do it!

Vlad59

Bench
Not to mention the NRL. The MCG holds 100,000 ? That's another 20,000 tickets! At $500 a pop..10 million! In tickets alone!
A massive statement into AFL heartland!
Media frenzy in Melbourne!
I hope they do it!
It’s the sporting capital of the world apparently. Charge them $1000 each and we’d have a a 100 million dollar game