What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Final Series

WA Tiger

Bench
Interesting. Although he stood up so that’s not senseless.. I still think what I said can be interpreted as a let off IF they really want to or are pressured enough by the lawyer if he can present a past grade one involving blood and at least as nasty which I think they can

Collins got up immediately and attempted to play the ball, to his credit. Unfortunately for him he played the ball in the opposite direction and did it very slowly. Two sure signs of a concussion.

He was taken off for an HIA - a grade 2 at that stage, but as soon as he got back to the dressing rooms it was changed to a grade 1., ruling him out of the game and unable to play for 11 days if the rorters had progressed. He didn't actually have a concussion test. The medical staff took a look at him and what had happened on the field and said "nup, that's it"

There was clear contact between NAS's shoulder and Collins head.

If the NRL downgrade that then everyone else uses it as an example in the future to get a downgrade, or get off. Basically it gives a green light to knock out an attacker by smashing them in the head with your shoulder.

In addition at that, this is NAS's 3rd offence this year. This counts towards the length of suspension when it's being decided. It also shows he hasn't learnt his lesson, and his coaches haven't asked him to change his tackle technique.

As others have pointed out, the lawsuits for CTE will be coming. It's only a matter of time. The NRL have to show they are making the game as safe as possible, bearing in mind it's a very dangerous profession, if not a well rewarded one. If they let someone off simply because the next game is a very important one, it in effect condones the behaviour, and they are opening themselves up for ruin. There's a CTE case against AFL that is coming up next year I think, and the AFL are using a defence (at least partially) that any sane person would be aware of the risks of concussion. It's expected by many that this defence will fail. The NRL (or should I say their clubs) have 2 ongoing lawsuits of interest. The Canterbury player re: the extra wrestling session against the whole team because he turned up late, and a Manly player who I believe (but I'm not sure) either had developed a heart complaint or was comatose after collapsing during a summer training session. While not exactly the same as CTE, they will set a precedent in regards to whether the NRL is viewed the same as every other employer / corporation in Australia, or if they are viewed differently due to the physically violent nature of the business.

Personally, I don't think the NRL are doing enough. I think NAS should have been sent off. I also don't think the suspensions are long enough, especially for repeat offenders. Most of us are older blokes and will remember when league got cleaned up by Arko and Quayle in the early to mid 80's. Their hit man was a bloke named Jim Cowmans. He was giving out long suspensions like parents giving out chocolates on Halloween. Look at Les Boyd. Eye gouged someone and got a year. Didn't learn and elbowed Broman in the face and got a year and a half. Dallas Donnelly got a year. Steve Mortimer got 7 weeks for an accidental head high, and was told if he ever came back to the judiciary "football will be just a memory to you." The players got the message that the jig was up and they changed accordingly.

Until the NRL gets serious with send offs and suspensions nothing will change. The clubs sure as shit won't change unless they're forced to. But if you suspended someone 4 weeks for a 1st offence, 8 weeks for a 2nd, and then 16 weeks (capped) for a 3rd the clubs would quickly change the way they coach tackling. I'm not sure if the players are paid while they're suspended but I'd make that change as well. Do you think guys like NAS and JWH would be happy to sit out a year on no pay. They'd change their behaviour. NRL is a hard enough game as it is without unnecessary shots to the head, and cheap shots / grubby play in general.

Nutz, I think in regard to boxing / MMA they are allowed to continue (and the governing bodies would always win a lawsuit) because the nature of their business is 2 people fighting each other with the goal of knocking the other unconscious. No one could ever say they were unaware of the risks there. Whereas RL and other contact sports are a game played by 2 teams trying to score tries, goals, etc. Injuries, particularly to the head are a by-product of the physical nature of the game.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Collins got up immediately and attempted to play the ball, to his credit. Unfortunately for him he played the ball in the opposite direction and did it very slowly. Two sure signs of a concussion.

He was taken off for an HIA - a grade 2 at that stage, but as soon as he got back to the dressing rooms it was changed to a grade 1., ruling him out of the game and unable to play for 11 days if the rorters had progressed. He didn't actually have a concussion test. The medical staff took a look at him and what had happened on the field and said "nup, that's it"

There was clear contact between NAS's shoulder and Collins head.

If the NRL downgrade that then everyone else uses it as an example in the future to get a downgrade, or get off. Basically it gives a green light to knock out an attacker by smashing them in the head with your shoulder.

In addition at that, this is NAS's 3rd offence this year. This counts towards the length of suspension when it's being decided. It also shows he hasn't learnt his lesson, and his coaches haven't asked him to change his tackle technique.

As others have pointed out, the lawsuits for CTE will be coming. It's only a matter of time. The NRL have to show they are making the game as safe as possible, bearing in mind it's a very dangerous profession, if not a well rewarded one. If they let someone off simply because the next game is a very important one, it in effect condones the behaviour, and they are opening themselves up for ruin. There's a CTE case against AFL that is coming up next year I think, and the AFL are using a defence (at least partially) that any sane person would be aware of the risks of concussion. It's expected by many that this defence will fail. The NRL (or should I say their clubs) have 2 ongoing lawsuits of interest. The Canterbury player re: the extra wrestling session against the whole team because he turned up late, and a Manly player who I believe (but I'm not sure) either had developed a heart complaint or was comatose after collapsing during a summer training session. While not exactly the same as CTE, they will set a precedent in regards to whether the NRL is viewed the same as every other employer / corporation in Australia, or if they are viewed differently due to the physically violent nature of the business.

Personally, I don't think the NRL are doing enough. I think NAS should have been sent off. I also don't think the suspensions are long enough, especially for repeat offenders. Most of us are older blokes and will remember when league got cleaned up by Arko and Quayle in the early to mid 80's. Their hit man was a bloke named Jim Cowmans. He was giving out long suspensions like parents giving out chocolates on Halloween. Look at Les Boyd. Eye gouged someone and got a year. Didn't learn and elbowed Broman in the face and got a year and a half. Dallas Donnelly got a year. Steve Mortimer got 7 weeks for an accidental head high, and was told if he ever came back to the judiciary "football will be just a memory to you." The players got the message that the jig was up and they changed accordingly.

Until the NRL gets serious with send offs and suspensions nothing will change. The clubs sure as shit won't change unless they're forced to. But if you suspended someone 4 weeks for a 1st offence, 8 weeks for a 2nd, and then 16 weeks (capped) for a 3rd the clubs would quickly change the way they coach tackling. I'm not sure if the players are paid while they're suspended but I'd make that change as well. Do you think guys like NAS and JWH would be happy to sit out a year on no pay. They'd change their behaviour. NRL is a hard enough game as it is without unnecessary shots to the head, and cheap shots / grubby play in general.

Nutz, I think in regard to boxing / MMA they are allowed to continue (and the governing bodies would always win a lawsuit) because the nature of their business is 2 people fighting each other with the goal of knocking the other unconscious. No one could ever say they were unaware of the risks there. Whereas RL and other contact sports are a game played by 2 teams trying to score tries, goals, etc. Injuries, particularly to the head are a by-product of the physical nature of the game.
I agree with all of what you say but I’m not convinced it wasn’t a chest, hit with shoulder movement.. if it was a shoulder he would have been out immediately and for some time

Last edited:
I agree with all of what you say but I’m not convinced it wasn’t a chest, hit with shoulder movement.. if it was a shoulder he would have been out immediately for some time
WA if you have Kayo go to the game replay and the slo-mo replay at 1 min 32 shows it up as shoulder contact directly to the head with no mitigating circumstances at all.

Regardless, even if was all chest contact the NRL have to eradicate ALL contact to the head if they want to win future lawsuits. And if it does happen, either accidentally or deliberately, it needs to be severely punished.

There's no shortage of liberal pussies out there who would love nothing more than to ban all contact sports so they can re-purpose the grounds as safe spaces or some other shit. They see people who love sports as the great unwashed, uneducated plebs who are beneath them. They have money and power and there's more of the idiots growing every day. There's also plenty of greedy scumbag lawyers who see a sport with deep pockets who'd love nothing more than to take it for themselves, under the guise of representing their client, who they couldn't 2 shits about. We need to protect ourselves from this scum.

WA Tiger

Bench
I can’t afford foxtel and Kayo. & your prob right about the head contact and law suits regardless of what did hit the head ..For me it’s as much about seeing the disappointment of Penrith players missing a fourth definitely making up for our 3

Latest posts