What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 FW1 Fri - Penrith 30-10 Sydney @ BlueBet

Finals Week 1: Penrith v Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woody90

Juniors
Absolutely

I just doubt they will reach that ceiling again. Halves of football like that don't come along very often.

They do it every year this time of year though.

I was confused why the commentary were all so shocked that they went to another gear for finals like they don’t do it every year.

Could argue they’ve definitely regressed as Panthers side from 2 years ago wouldn’t have taken their foot off the throat in the second half, but the Roosters were never actually going to be able to get back into that game so they only played as well as they needed to.

Woody90

Juniors
Not sure the first half is the ceiling.

As much as they're f**king hateable, they are elite AF. The Roosters middle actually held pretty well defensively and JFH and Leota only made low 100m, at pretty low averages. Same for the edge forwards.

There's more there, especially against lesser defence.

Roosters also did the absolute worst thing you can do against the Panthers too and gave away a lot of ball and dumb penalties. It was all over after that.

Fangs

Coach
They do it every year this time of year though.

I was confused why the commentary were all so shocked that they went to another gear for finals like they don’t do it every year.

Could argue they’ve definitely regressed as Panthers side from 2 years ago wouldn’t have taken their foot off the throat in the second half, but the Roosters were never actually going to be able to get back into that game so they only played as well as they needed to.

That's right. They flicked the switch.

Anyone who watched NRL in the last 5 years has noticed it. They are the best team by a very long way because they have another level to go to.

A half of football like that comes along when it needs to. They do what is required and leave enough in the tank if they need to accelerate e.g. Broncos 2023 grand final comeback.

Warrimoo3

Juniors
Or an ashtray on a motorcycle
Some nice interventions from Ash though. An imaginary set restart on the last for the Panthers early on that results in a try and an imaginary forward pass from the Roosters at an important time in the game. Guy has a good imagination.

Some nice interventions from Ash though. An imaginary set restart on the last for the Panthers early on that results in a try and an imaginary forward pass from the Roosters at an important time in the game. Guy has a good imagination.
I saw a similar comment on the Roar website. I know that Robbo preaches from a different bible, but you do realise you still need to follow the rules on the 5th tackle….

Valheru

Coach
Not sure the first half is the ceiling.

As much as they're f**king hateable, they are elite AF. The Roosters middle actually held pretty well defensively and JFH and Leota only made low 100m, at pretty low averages. Same for the edge forwards.

There's more there, especially against lesser defence.
We are the worst defensively in the top 4

age.s

First Grade
We've been getting ahead of lesser teams then strangling them out of the game regularly the past 5 years. The idea we need "more firepower" to win a premiership is laughable.

Apey

Staff member
Nah that was a legit 6 again. Sandon Smith the dopey f**k held on for way too long, which was incredibly stupid given it was the 5th tackle and it was Cleary who had been tackled.

Fangs

Coach
Nah that was a legit 6 again. Sandon Smith the dopey f**k held on for way too long, which was incredibly stupid given it was the 5th tackle and it was Cleary who had been tackled.

Sandon Smith had a mare.

Kicking was no good. And the foot into touch at the PTB was the icing on the cake.

The other kicker (Keary) was awful as well. Even managed to throw in some dissent. Not what you want from your senior players.

soc123_au

Staff member
Sandon Smith had a mare.

Kicking was no good. And the foot into touch at the PTB was the icing on the cake.

The other kicker (Keary) was awful as well. Even managed to throw in some dissent. Not what you want from your senior players.
Keary had a few decent moments. His try saver on Martin was pretty bloody good. Not sure if big nuts or the repeated concussions have made him stupid. Fine effort from a little fella on a rampaging Martin.

How the f**k he wasn't binned I'll never know though. Thats gotta top 5 for blatant game management for this year.

Him running into Luai on the Edwards break amused me as well. 10 points for commitment to the cause ha ha.

Fangs

Coach
Keary had a few decent moments. His try saver on Martin was pretty bloody good. Not sure if big nuts or the repeated concussions have made him stupid. Fine effort from a little fella on a rampaging Martin.

How the f**k he wasn't binned I'll never know though. Thats gotta top 5 for blatant game management for this year.

Him running into Luai on the Edwards break amused me as well. 10 points for commitment to the cause ha ha.

That was a good tackle. But first and foremost he is a halfback.

Behind a beaten pack sure. But watch his kick to Edwards in the left corner in the first half. It was an absolute shocker. No height or depth and Edwards chalked up the easiest kick return metres you will see. They were losing 10-15m a set minimum just on the kicking. This is exactly what you don't do against Penrith who have been leading the kick returns metres in the NRL for 4-5 seasons now.

That must change next week. Find more depth or even thread it between players along the turf. Slightly shallow kick to allow for an actual contest at the ball. Watson to kick from dummy-half. Anything but what they dished up last night.