What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 FW1 Sun - Canterbury v Manly @ Accor

Finals Week 1: Canterbury v Manly

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

• Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

• Draw after Golden Point

Results are only viewable after voting.

Warrimoo3

Juniors
Anyone remember this ? Greg Rees and the 2SM guys : Backyard Barbie Boogie Woogie . Includes the classic line Can’t help it if the chops all taste like kerosene.

Vic Mackey

Referee
From memory it feels like when teams play in week 1 of the finals after playing a week ot 2 before the winner has often been reversed?

The Dogs have really lost their way havent they? The way they play which is a smaller team being 100% effort and intensity was always going to be hard to maintain. Manly, well it all depends on how the 1's shoulder is. My assumption is if your fullbacks gunna be carrying an injury youd want it to be the shoulder. I think he'll be fine and get it done for the Eagles.

Manly by 10.

I'd actually be more concerned here if we come into the finals on a winning streak, we relaxed for a couple weeks and should come out firing, Dogs 19+ is a special for me this weekend imo, I've put a few hundred on it.

Gamble Responsibly I'm wrong more then I'm right lol.

Grapple

Bench
Manly have beaten the top 3 teams this year. They've produced some great wins. Thankfully, we are not top 3 so we've got a great chance!

Think About It GIF by Identity

Warrimoo3

Juniors
Whatever the result today Bulldogs supporters should be doing cartwheels over their performance on the field this year. Ciraldo deserves a statue outside Belmore oval for turning the perennial cellar dwellers into a finals contender within 2 years of his tenure. From the worst defensive team to one of the best .

Today is an interesting match up. Three weeks ago the Bulldogs were being heralded as a grand final chance. So what’s changed ? Fatigue from their recent schedule and a rumoured virus sweeping through their camp were probable contributing factors. Maybe the cumulative effects of the high intensity of their play and the relatively small size of their forwards have combined to derail their season?

Chad Townsend said after last weeks match that the Cowboys had decided to target the space between Sexton and Crichton after pummelling them up the middle . Luki had a field day. A quick look at the match showed Crichton being beaten on his right shoulder when he moved left to “help” Sexton thus presenting a hole for Luki on his right .He was also beaten on his left to concede a try . In the latter Sexton was at marker and Mahoney had filled thr hole next to Crichton.

Skelton is an interesting selection. A damaging runner with good speed and evasive skills bound for the Tigers went missing in action against Manly a couple of weeks ago and gets his chance for retribution. Manly will need to present a straight line to him on kick returns and stop him before he winds up. He has a good left foot step and likes beating defenders on their outside. Like all big units he is slow to turn and he can be flakey under the high ball. He was hooked by Ciraldo for the latter in the second half of a match earlier this year.

For the Bulldogs to have any chance Kikau needs to have a big game. He has been sailing close to the wind lately almost like he’s daring the ref to sin bin him. I suppose the Bulldogs need some sort of intimidation factor. I expect the Bulldogs to run all day at Garrick. He is a top shelf winger but a bog average centre . His defence was stretched to its absolute limit last time these teams met and it held on by the skin of its teeth. Both Koula and DCE can sometimes rush out of the defensive line and concede points . DCE did this last week against the Sharks. Also Olakauatu missed his assignment last week , the third time he has missed an opponent one on one in the red zone leading directly to a try.

Koula is finally reaching match fitness and it will be interesting to see how he goes, He looks much more comfortable as a right centre rather than left. Manly would be better served with Garrick on the right wing and Koula at right centre but it would be pure folly to change at this stage. Anyway Hopoate has a mortgage on one wing spot and Talau is a class finisher. Hopefully Manly don’t persist with Tom Turbo bashing the ball up in the teeth of the ruck on the 5th. As I mentioned in a previous post this is akin to driving your Ferrari repeatedly into a brick wall.

Last time these two teams met DCE did virtually all the kicking. Brooks’ low trajectory clearing kicks have charge down written all over them. Kikau will be licking his lips if Brooks gets his hands on the ball on the last in Manly territory.

Having said all that I think the Bulldogs will be up for this. Manly’s sometimes unstructured attack can trouble any team. Hopefully Atkinson and Klein stay out of it and let the players decide . There’s no need for a set restart within 2 minutes of the start of the game to “set the tone”. More likely “.to justify your existence”

Game_Breaker

Coach
Whatever the result today Bulldogs supporters should be doing cartwheels over their performance on the field this year. Ciraldo deserves a statue outside Belmore oval for turning the perennial cellar dwellers into a finals contender within 2 years of his tenure. From the worst defensive team to one of the best .

Today is an interesting match up. Three weeks ago the Bulldogs were being heralded as a grand final chance. So what’s changed ? Fatigue from their recent schedule and a rumoured virus sweeping through their camp were probable contributing factors. Maybe the cumulative effects of the high intensity of their play and the relatively small size of their forwards have combined to derail their season?

Chad Townsend said after last weeks match that the Cowboys had decided to target the space between Sexton and Crichton after pummelling them up the middle . Luki had a field day. A quick look at the match showed Crichton being beaten on his right shoulder when he moved left to “help” Sexton thus presenting a hole for Luki on his right .He was also beaten on his left to concede a try . In the latter Sexton was at marker and Mahoney had filled thr hole next to Crichton.

Skelton is an interesting selection. A damaging runner with good speed and evasive skills bound for the Tigers went missing in action against Manly a couple of weeks ago and gets his chance for retribution. Manly will need to present a straight line to him on kick returns and stop him before he winds up. He has a good left foot step and likes beating defenders on their outside. Like all big units he is slow to turn and he can be flakey under the high ball. He was hooked by Ciraldo for the latter in the second half of a match earlier this year.

For the Bulldogs to have any chance Kikau needs to have a big game. He has been sailing close to the wind lately almost like he’s daring the ref to sin bin him. I suppose the Bulldogs need some sort of intimidation factor. I expect the Bulldogs to run all day at Garrick. He is a top shelf winger but a bog average centre . His defence was stretched to its absolute limit last time these teams met and it held on by the skin of its teeth. Both Koula and DCE can sometimes rush out of the defensive line and concede points . DCE did this last week against the Sharks. Also Olakauatu missed his assignment last week , the third time he has missed an opponent one on one in the red zone leading directly to a try.

Koula is finally reaching match fitness and it will be interesting to see how he goes, He looks much more comfortable as a right centre rather than left. Manly would be better served with Garrick on the right wing and Koula at right centre but it would be pure folly to change at this stage. Anyway Hopoate has a mortgage on one wing spot and Talau is a class finisher. Hopefully Manly don’t persist with Tom Turbo bashing the ball up in the teeth of the ruck on the 5th. As I mentioned in a previous post this is akin to driving your Ferrari repeatedly into a brick wall.

Last time these two teams met DCE did virtually all the kicking. Brooks’ low trajectory clearing kicks have charge down written all over them. Kikau will be licking his lips if Brooks gets his hands on the ball on the last in Manly territory.

Having said all that I think the Bulldogs will be up for this. Manly’s sometimes unstructured attack can trouble any team. Hopefully Atkinson and Klein stay out of it and let the players decide . There’s no need for a set restart within 2 minutes of the start of the game to “set the tone”. More likely “.to justify your existence”

Could I get an executive summary please?

This Year?

Immortal
I'll be at work and missing a cracking thread.
I've already gargled listerine and douched with gaviscon because anything can happen and I must be prepared for the worst outcome.

Latest posts