What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 GF - Sun 6 Oct - Melbourne v Penrith @ Accor

Grand Final: Melbourne v Penrith

• Melbourne Storm

• Penrith Panthers

• Draw after Golden Point

Results are only viewable after voting.

speedster

Juniors
He's worth +12 to any decent opposition. Latrell is one of the worst fullbacks in the NRL
Nonsense. I realise he is a polarising figure but seriously, he bungs on plenty of line break and try assists, as well as making and scoring plenty himself. He's not your million metre eating type of fullback, but there is more than 1 type of player in all positions. Please. Souths' winning percentage is drastically better when he plays.

Fangs

Coach
You scraped in by 2 points on the night. Latrell would have made the difference. He is not worth zero points to Souths' performances. Taaffe got monstered.

He would have made a difference both ways.

He can put on points but you aren't considering the points he doesn't save. Way too slow to cover the short kicking of our halves and he gets exposed the same way everytime we face him.

speedster

Juniors
He would have made a difference both ways.

He can put on points but you aren't considering the points he doesn't save. Way too slow to cover the short kicking of our halves and he gets exposed the same way everytime we face him.
Too all-or-nothing in your analysis. It is not and can't be "every time". There have been games where he has made the difference and his cover and his clean up work has been good. Too simplistic to just cherry pick his bad moments and then smear him as permanently bad in some areas.

Last edited:

speedster

Juniors
Latrell gave up in a prelim against Penrith after he was tackled too hard for his liking.

He's a terrible fullback who only wants to play one side of the ball.
He went into that game with a rib injury and it was made worse by that brutal tackle but he stayed on rather than leave the team short. Has that not ever happened to a player before? Should he be smeared and tainted for that? Well, in Latrell's case, it's a different set of standards of course.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Nonsense. I realise he is a polarising figure but seriously, he bungs on plenty of line break and try assists, as well as making and scoring plenty himself. He's not your million metre eating type of fullback, but there is more than 1 type of player in all positions. Please. Souths' winning percentage is drastically better when he plays.
The more than 1 type of fullback talk is hilarious. He's straight up too fat to get into position

Fangs

Coach
Too all-or-nothing in your analysis. It is not and can't be "every time". There have been games where he has made the difference and his cover and his clean up work has been good. Too simplistic to just cherry pick his bad moments and then smear him as permanently bad in some areas.

You can do further analysis if you wish. I don't need to.

He is a very good player especially in attack. Great skillset and extremely dangerous at his best. But he is not a noted defensive fullback due to his size. It's why calls for him to move to centre or five-eighth keep happening.

2021 was a very long time ago now. Back to 2024 grand final discussion.

speedster

Juniors
You can do further analysis if you wish. I don't need to.

He is a very good player especially in attack. Great skillset and extremely dangerous at his best. But he is not a noted defensive fullback due to his size. It's why calls for him to move to centre or five-eighth keep happening.

2021 was a very long time ago now. Back to 2024 grand final discussion.
Cool. He has aspects of his game he still needs to improve no doubt. I think he'd be wasted at center at NRL level and needs to be more involved, not less. But I'll take Wayne Bennett's judgements on him over the intelligentsia on here.

Yes, back to GF discussion.

Munky

Coach
He went into that game with a rib injury and it was made worse by that brutal tackle but he stayed on rather than leave the team short. Has that not ever happened to a player before? Should he be smeared and tainted for that? Well, in Latrell's case, it's a different set of standards of course.

Must have been injured in the other six games against Penrith he dogged it at the back in a Souths jersey.

mxlegend99

Referee
f**k me dead. Mitchell is an awful fullback and I don't think he is worth zero points at fullback, I think he is worth negative points. Between the missed tackles, poor positioning, not rolling up his sleeves to do the hard stuff etc. I would always prefer to face a Souths team with him at fullback than one with a guy who will actually do the job.

He can lay on the odd try assist when his team gets up field. That doesn't happen very often against good teams though and it's largely because he is so damn average.

As a fullback vs Panthers Latrell has 1 win in 9 appearances. Average scoreline is Panthers 26.5 to Souths 14.2

Blake Taaffe has 1 win in 2 appearances (both finals matches). Average scoreline is Souths 14, Panthers 12.

The way Cleary was kicking on Grand Final night the last thing Souths would have wanted was a fat lazy bludger at fullback who is poorly positioned and can't defend for shit.

soc123_au

Staff member
1 win and 8 or so losses including a 50 point drubbing against Penrith when he has played fullback. The one win was off some very arsey hail mary plays in the final few minutes.

There is no history or stat that backs up the Souffs win in 21 if Trell wasn't a dickhead that got himself suspended theory. It is much easier to argue that he purposely got suspended to avoid being humiliated in a GF.

Latest posts