What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Grand final Panthers vs Storm

Should I make an early prediction?

• Total voters

age.s

First Grade
Anyway, rewatched the replay. Some thoughts:

Fuccccck that was an enjoyable watch. Comfortably the toughest opponent we've played in a grand final but we went up a gear in intensity in response. Just awe inspiring.

It was a good example of what being hit extremely hard by a defense can do. Melbourne looked a completely different team, a combination of our wall not having any cracks in it and just the wear of being hit like that ensuring they lost that 10% of their previous intensity. Hughes suddenly looked desperate and flustered. They defended extremely well though. We beat almost any other team by 30.

Martin was worthy of the CC. Was hitting like a truck throughout the first half and made the big play the blow the game open. He was just everywhere for long periods of the match. I think its an appropriate award in a game like that. If not Martin, I'd have given it to Kenny. He tidied up so much in the middle, made some enormous hits, ran the ball really well on occassion, all while maintaining really good general distribution. Yeo was also extremely good in that regard (and deserves accolades in general), but I'd have Kenny shading him without the ball and in a grind like that I think that counts.

It's not lost on me that I'd have seriously considered him for a CC either. Much like Edwards, there was a time I'd have said I don't think he'd amount to much. Now I think most clubs would be very lucky to have him, even on good coin.

Alamoti probably 4th best on ground. Again, just a few weeks ago I had doubts about him. Incredible. This time last year, I was lamenting that Critta, with his massive plays in big moments, was the missing piece that would cost us the fine margin we needed. Turned out the guy we replaced him with did every bit as well when it counted.

Garner didn't play huge minutes, but he was extremely good in difficult circumstances. About 5 minutes left he absolutely pulverised Katoa in a tackle, who had been dominant to that point. Some excellent carries when we needed it too. If he played like that for 70+ he'd have been well in the frame for the CC. 3 for 3 on players I've had doubts on coming up very good in a grand final.

I don't think Munster bit down, but when you have form you shouldn't act shocked when people take allegations like that against you seriously.

So so gooooooooood.

age.s

First Grade
15-8. Nath would have had so many chances to take it beyond a converted try and you know he wouldn’t need more than one.
I dunno. If there's one thing we could do better it's push leads out beyond converted try ranges in situations like that.

But this is already giving a rhynob post more purchase than it deserves.

Girds89

Bench
4 in a row wow!!! Incredible never would think i would see this....

Some of that ratings ive seen from media are a effimg joke hahs.

Dyl... 6.5??? Steve womder on the ratings. Bloke was a 8 at least..

Tago like i said all year is all class.. yes he had his ups and downs but when it mattered he scorched them. Hes defense was elite. He is some player..

Alamonti wow.. hes some player too

Ive watched the replay 5 times..and was there live.. i still don't know how yeo didmt gwt the CC. He was best on ground by such a long way haha. It really wasn't even close.. honestly every time we looked to struggle to get out of our emd he just turned up.

He is a freak. Brandy, gower, yeo, cleary. Name the 4 new stands after them

I'm like a lot of footy nerds, I've watched the game five times already.

But the one thing that is blatantly obvious to me is the "catch and wrestle" tackling style is so far from the right way to defend nowadays compared to the way the Panthers defend.

Chop the legs and within a nano second, one or two just hit as hard as they can over the top to put the ball carrier on the ground.

Melbourne copped this treatment in the preliminary final last year when we flogged them and I'm pretty sure they were prepared for it but the intensity Penrith hit with is next level. Cudos to Melbourne for hanging in the game getting belted like that.

It reinforces that old saying "Defence wins games"

betcats

Referee
Agree that Yeo couldve won the ccm easily, he was a beast all game through middle, some of those second half charges were just ridiculous. But Martin just had the noticeable plays, brutal defence, kick chase pressure second to none and a try and incredible try assist, so a deserving winner also.

betcats

Referee
Shout out to Sorro and Ivan for playing him. Brave decision to start him over garner whos been amongst our best after Sorro has barely played in what feels like months? But Sorro was good and Garner was eventually needed in the centres. Had some crucial runs to when he came on doing some of the outside back leg work.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Can’t sleep I’m too wired. Are we living in a simulation?!?! Four in a row what the f***. We had two titles in over 50 years then we get 4 in 4?!?! F***.

Latest posts