What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Grand final Panthers vs Storm

Should I make an early prediction?

• Total voters

maple_69

Bench
I haven't read all the comments here but I reckon Tago deserves a massive shout out after the pasting he's got here (from me included) during the season. Bellamy went after that edge big time and why wouldn't you given how frail its looked throughout the year. It absolutely stonewalled Melbourne. 37 tackles 1 missed for Tago and he ran strong. Incredible return to form. Alamoti, McLean, Tago, To'o is shaping as one of our best backlines full stop.

Also for a guy that had his least notable grand final, Leota's final pass on the Alamoti try was absolutely succulent.

Just astonishing how well Ivan got these guys playing in a game after their mostly average form all year. Tago, Sorenson, Kenny, Smith, Alamoti, Turuva, Martin all had season best games when it counted and most of those guys are considered lesser lights.

Whino

Bench
How did channel nine have Cleary with 200 running metres but newspaper had 118?

Channel nine probably sourced NRL stats. The Newspaper probably Foxsports stats.
Both stats platforms (NRL & Foxsports) have differing interpretations of what constitutes a tackle, metres etc.

betcats

Referee
I haven't read all the comments here but I reckon Tago deserves a massive shout out after the pasting he's got here (from me included) during the season. Bellamy went after that edge big time and why wouldn't you given how frail its looked throughout the year. It absolutely stonewalled Melbourne. 37 tackles 1 missed for Tago and he ran strong. Incredible return to form. Alamoti, McLean, Tago, To'o is shaping as one of our best backlines full stop.

Also for a guy that had his least notable grand final, Leota's final pass on the Alamoti try was absolutely succulent.

Just astonishing how well Ivan got these guys playing in a game after their mostly average form all year. Tago, Sorenson, Kenny, Smith, Alamoti, Turuva, Martin all had season best games when it counted and most of those guys are considered lesser lights.

Yep think going in Melbourne saw Cleary with a busted should and Tago and the left side in general with the defensive issues and decided to go after them big time. Tago had 37 tackles Nath 31. Alamoti and Luai had 16 and 8 on the other side.,

Pomoz

Bench
Yep think going in Melbourne saw Cleary with a busted should and Tago and the left side in general with the defensive issues and decided to go after them big time. Tago had 37 tackles Nath 31. Alamoti and Luai had 16 and 8 on the other side.,
Tago, generally speaking, is pretty good with first contact. His stats match most elite centres. His problem was rushing in and marking nobody, or the wrong person.

At times, Tago and his winger look like they had only just met and didn't trust each other. For the last six or so weeks, he has slowly improved until Sunday he was the Tago of old.

Turuva was the same. He slowly improved and stopped rushing in. I had sleepless nights before the finals thinking of speedsters like Coates, Johnson and Mulatalo carving him up. Didn't happen. He stayed put and trusted the system.

The other thing Tago improved was errors. It was almost like the alarm clock went off and he went "oh, it's the Finals, time to get serious".

tripster

Juniors
Interesting to read that Leota won't be playing in the Pacific Championship due to a shoulder injury. Can't help but think he has been carrying one for a while (like Martin) which explains why he was down on form. His initial stint in the GF was also fair less than his usual 20 - 22 minutes.

My “four on the floor” victory tribute song to friends and neighbours:

Better the smuggy you know
Better the smuggy you know

Say you won’t leave me Jerome
Well take you back again
No more excuses young fish
We’ve seen good players leave before
A hundred times or more…

Well forgive and forget
If you say you’ll never go
Because it’s true
What they say
it’s better the smuggy you know..

6B947E6D-4E2F-41EB-9E84-7A18EFFC4A52.jpeg
Sing when you’re winning!
Saints 2760.

Last edited:

CCJohnC

Juniors
The win is costing me to have this year added to my Tattoo and now will start looking for 4 x 4GFwins (?) car stickers
to replace the 3 x 3repeats I have had on my car for the last year.

Pomoz

Bench
The win is costing me to have this year added to my Tattoo and now will start looking for 4 x 4GFwins (?) car stickers
to replace the 3 x 3repeats I have had on my car for the last year.
Life is tough at the top.....

martielang

Bench
Interesting to read that Leota won't be playing in the Pacific Championship due to a shoulder injury. Can't help but think he has been carrying one for a while (like Martin) which explains why he was down on form. His initial stint in the GF was also fair less than his usual 20 - 22 minutes.

I reckon his 2nd stint was an absolute Leota GF special though. With so many good performers it’s been overlooked. As has Fish’s tbh.

Latest posts