What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos discussion etc

Mate Ma'a Tonga was the name given to the national team by the TNRL and what the team used up until mid-2018.

View attachment 95584

After the issues with the TNRL governance, the IRL took over the running of the Tongan national team and they were called Tonga Invitational or Kuo To'a

View attachment 95581
A new local governing body, Tonga Rugby League, has now become the official governing body of the code in Tonga and the IRL handed over the running of the team last year. This new body tried using the MAA name and the below logo for last year's England Tour, but there has been IP disputes over the name, as well there was some confusion over whether this was a new body or return of the old, etc.

View attachment 95583

As such, the decision was made this year to completely rebrand the TRL with a new logo and use this on the national squads.
View attachment 95582
Tonga-Rugby-League-1995-Polo-Crest.jpg

This one was always my favourite the original and the best

Nuke

Staff member
I've got that one in my wardrobe too. Personally, I like the new logo (and by the sounds of it, the new board too ... f**k the old one and their union-boosting ways). Just a shame they can't have -at least for now- the Mate Ma'a name.

I believe it translates to 'Die for Tonga'?

Nuke

Staff member
Sounds like something in the union DNA. They can't stand that we broke away from them, and on top of that, have become increasingly successful. The French Govt back in the day, this Tongan mob, and everyone in between from private schools to journalists.

Regardless, that jersey looked awesome last night. Well done to those in power to go with it.

Latest posts