What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Ladder predictions

MugaB

Coach
Sorry for the somewhat re-hash from last year, but:

1. PENRITH!
2. The other favourites
3. One of the usual top sides
4. My team, who I really want to put higher, but don't want to appear too biased
5. Who cares
6. Who cares
7. Random bolter
8. The team I hate but are too good to leave out of the 8

9. The team I don't like but are too good to put down the bottom
10. That team who will drop out of the 8 from last season but are still OK
11. The decent team with a massive injury crisis
12. The Queensland team whose turn it is to be crap this year
13. Who cares
14. Who cares
15. Who cares
16. The enemy

17. Wests Tigers
When the 18th team comes, wests will still be last

Apey

Staff member
The Knights were riding a wave of momentum that was created by one player being absolutely elite. When you see teams that aren't regular finals sides go on these big end of season runs (tigers 05, eels 09, dogs 12, Raiders 16, NQ17, Manly 21) they are rarely, if ever, backed up the following year. Momentum in sport isn't often associated with substance, it tricks these teams into thinking they're going better then they actually are.
I dont disagree with this. I don't think we will finish as high as 5th again. Probably 7th - 10th range. Dom is a big loss.

It was trying to diminish our season I disagreed with, like you saying there wasn't much between us and Titans for example.

Most tries scored in regular season
5th best defence
Better or equal record against the other top 5 compared to Storm/Warriors:
- RD1 L Warriors 20 - 12
- RD6 W Warriors 34 - 24
- RD7 L Panthers 16 - 15 (no Ponga, we scored more tries and lost)
- RD15 L Broncos 24 - 20 (4 tries each)
- RD17 L Panthers 20 - 12 (minus their origin players)
- RD21 W Storm 26 - 18

Our season was much closer to Storm or Warriors than plodders like the Titans, even if it does turn out to be a flash in the pan.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I dont disagree with this. I don't think we will finish as high as 5th again. Probably 7th - 10th range. Dom is a big loss.

It was trying to diminish our season I disagreed with, like you saying there wasn't much between us and Titans for example.

Most tries scored in regular season
5th best defence
Better or equal record against the other top 5 compared to Storm/Warriors:
- RD1 L Warriors 20 - 12
- RD6 W Warriors 34 - 24
- RD7 L Panthers 16 - 15 (no Ponga, we scored more tries and lost)
- RD15 L Broncos 24 - 20 (4 tries each)
- RD17 L Panthers 20 - 12 (minus their origin players)
- RD21 W Storm 26 - 18

Our season was much closer to Storm or Warriors than plodders like the Titans, even if it does turn out to be a flash in the pan.

The Titans won as many games against the top 4 sides as the knights did

Someguy

First Grade
Are sharks getting the easy schedule again?

For the fairytale storyline Parra are the obvious winners next season. Long drought plus stopping panthers going 4 in a row and beating Parras record.

Apey

Staff member
The Titans won as many games against the top 4 sides as the knights did
You're right, although they never in their other games - we lost one on goalkicking and another off a freak pass by Ezra Mam. They also won 5 less games and conceded 200 more points. Our defence was an underrated part of our season this year imo. It was on par with Storm & Warriors in 3rd place and not far off the Broncos actually. It failed when it counted though, no arguments.

I did miss in your original post you said 2 good, 12 average and 3 shit sides which is a summary I think we can all agree with.

Rhysa30

Juniors
On their day the gap between most teams isn't that big, the question remains whether or not the lower teams can perform more consistently. I expect Canterbury, St George Illawarra and Wests Tigers to improve from their 2023 efforts and like most years a few unexpected teams will shoot up the ladder.

1. Sydney Roosters
2. Melbourne
3. Parramatta
4. South Sydney
5. Penrith
6. Brisbane
7. Gold Coast
8. Canterbury

9. St George Illawarra
10. NZ Warriors
11. Newcastle
12. Cronulla
13. Wests Tigers
14. North Queensland
15. Manly
16. Canberra
17. Dolphins

Grand Final - Sydney Roosters v Parramatta (PREMIERS - Parramatta)

speedster

Juniors
1 Panthers
2 Rabbitohs
3 Broncos
4 Cowboys

5 Roosters
6 Storm
7 Titans
8 Dolphins

9 Sea Eagles
10 Sharks
11 Eels
12 Warriors
13 Knights
14 Bulldogs
15 Raiders
16 Tigers
17 Dragons

nick87

Coach
The important thing for the knights is to understand if things take a step back, that it would be silly to react to that by looking for a coaching change. The growth and change in the club in 2023 MUST be maintained. Stay the course. If 2024 looks bad, it's but a bump in the AOB road

Long may he reign
(and yes, im aware of the crushing irony of posting this as a man who's stuck with Stuart as the coach of his football team until the end of time)

Apey

Staff member
The important thing for the knights is to understand if things take a step back, that it would be silly to react to that by looking for a coaching change. The growth and change in the club in 2023 MUST be maintained. Stay the course. If 2024 looks bad, it's but a bump in the AOB road

Long may he reign
(and yes, im aware of the crushing irony of posting this as a man who's stuck with Stuart as the coach of his football team until the end of time)
The Stick is pretty good at getting Raiders up for finals games at least. That's about it for his qualities though. The Raiders showed up to play and had a strong pack even with injuries, just lacked talent in the spine to get the job done. Actually I reckon our teams lacked each other's strengths in the finals.

There's only one bloke in the Knights forum who thinks a purple patch at the end of the year means we've got the goods. The sack AOB thread was very quiet for the last few months of the season but I'm sure it's got potential to be busy next year.

1 Panthers
2 Broncos (premiers)
3 Roosters
4 Storm
5 Knights
6 Warriors
7 Eels
8 Titans
9 Rabbitohs
10 Sharks
11 Dolphins
12 Sea Eagles
13 Cowboys
14 Bulldogs
15 Raiders
16 Dragons
17 Tigers

Broncos Panthers GF
Broncos get revenge in 2024 gf
Walsh CC medal
QLD win 2-1
Latrell wins Dally M despite missing 8 again

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
1. Penrith
2. Broncos
3. Souffs
4. Sharks

5. Warriors
6. Roosters
7. Knights
8. Storm

9. Parra
10. Manly
11. Canberra
12. Titans
13. Dolphins
14. Cows
15. Dogs
16. Dragons
17. Tigers

mxlegend99

Referee
I think Panthers will have a Storm like season. Get through the season finishing somewhere in or around the top 4. But not really play to their potential until the finals.

Each regular season they have gotten worse. But each finals season they have improved. Not saying they do 4 in a row. But I expect that theyre having trouble showing up week in, week out for regular games.

Top 4:
Broncos
Warriors
Panthers
Roosters

5th to 8th:
Souths
Cowboys
Storm
Eels

Just missing out on the 8 IMO after hovering around most the season.
Raiders
Sharks
Knights

Unless Turbo is fit and firing. Manly are my spoon prediction. DCE another year older, Brooks is a proven loser and Turbo hasnt looked good in a long time.

Tigers to climb the ladder to 13th. Dragons, Dogs, Titans etc. to have poor seasons with a few highs but a lot of lows.

Are sharks getting the easy schedule again?

For the fairytale storyline Parra are the obvious winners next season. Long drought plus stopping panthers going 4 in a row and beating Parras record.

The following is from Fox Sports -

SHARKS (1st *easiest draw)

Games played against

Top eight
: 9

Top four: 5

Bottom nine: 15

Bottom four: 8

Who they play twice: Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans, Cowboys, Rabbitohs, Dragons, Warriors, Tigers

Analysis: The Sharks have the easiest draw in the NRL in 2024 according to Fox Sports Lab. It’s a cushy start for Cronulla with games against the Bulldogs, Tigers and Raiders within the first four weeks after opening their season against the Warriors in New Zealand. The Sharks play 15 games against teams who didn’t make the top eight in 2023, meaning they possess the softest strength of schedule in the league. In addition, they have a date with what may be a depleted Broncos side just three days after State of Origin Game I.

Source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/9422aee3bbb60426afc080a1a5c1ba56

Broncos Panthers GF
Broncos get revenge in 2024 gf
Walsh CC medal
QLD win 2-1
Latrell wins Dally M despite missing 8 again
Rupert Murdoch's Broncos wont make the top 4
Rupert Murdoch's Broncos go out first week of the finals
Walsh just pips Mam for the NRL " most beautiful plucked and sculpted eye brows" award
Mam beats Walsh for "most beautiful nail polish" as voted by his peers
With Fittler gone sanity returns to the selection table NSW 3-0
Bunnies out in first week of finals - Fatrell last seen fighting Simple Jack Bighton outside Taree K Fried over 2 buckets and chips - both claim to police that they were "reconnecting"

nick87

Coach
What if i told you that not only will the Raiders not come last, and not only will they make the finals, but they'll be the only thing standing between Penrith and a 4th title?

And what if I told you I cant find my meds?
Top 2. And we ain't 2!

MugaB

Coach
You're right, although they never in their other games - we lost one on goalkicking and another off a freak pass by Ezra Mam. They also won 5 less games and conceded 200 more points. Our defence was an underrated part of our season this year imo. It was on par with Storm & Warriors in 3rd place and not far off the Broncos actually. It failed when it counted though, no arguments.

I did miss in your original post you said 2 good, 12 average and 3 shit sides which is a summary I think we can all agree with.
Knights almost beat penrith early in the season, went down to golden point... they are massive improvers, they'll get better this season,
You'll also have cogger so, if one of your halves are down, they'll be no excuses, you guys lost a few games with Jackson pulling up an injury, i can see them getting to top4, If storm fall away (lack of forwards are their bain)

Panthers
Warriors
Knights
Dolphins
Storm
Broncos
Sharks
Dragons

Raiders
Manly
Cowboys
Roosters
Eels
Souths
Tigers
Bulldogs
Titans

kit66

Bench
I don't think the top 8 will change much from 2023.

Broncs
Penrith
Knights
Sharks
Storm
Warriors
Rabbits
Eels

Cowboys
Roosters
Raiders
Manly