What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Ladder predictions

Woody90

Juniors
I didn't say they didn't deserve it, I said they had no business being there as in they were a class below the other 6 and I believe their performances vindicate my statement

Roosters finished 7th so had cowboys won they finish 8th.

Also it's just a prediction, feel free to disagree and post your own

A class below the other 6? As in the Roosters??? Hahaha that will do me.

The Roosters just slipped into the finals in the last round and just got home against a terrible Sharks team in probably the worst quality finals game we've seen in a decade. Then got beaten by Melbourne who tbh were pretty average this year and probably overachieved on the ladder due to their culture. They were slaughtered against the top teams.

The Raiders got into the finals by beating all the bottom teams and getting flogged by the top teams. The Roosters did the exact same thing. Definitely not a class above. Pretty similar seasons tbh.

The Knights didn't play well in the finals but to be honest they had much less finals experience than the rest of the top 8 and the only way they're going to get better at knowing how to play finals football is to play it. They were also playing sudden death football for the previous 10 weeks and ran out of steam. They'll be better for it. Will they make the top 4 next year? Likely not, but I'd give them a better chance than the Roosters purely off what we saw this year. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Woody90

Juniors
Will take a wild stab:

1. PENRITH

2. Broncos - were 1 of the 2 best teams this year - while I could see the hurt of the GF loss haunting them a bit I can't really see any of the other teams improving to the point of winning more games than them.

3. Warriors - I actually think they'll keep it up. They'll be hurt by the way they went out in the prelim and this isn't the same inconsistent Warriors team we've become accustomed to.

4. Storm - Not the team they once were but will consistently beat enough of the poor teams to win enough to make the 4 and keep Bellyache happy in his last season. Will be lower down if one of the lower teams have a break out season.

5. Souths - they definitely have the talent and resources to easily be in the top 8. If they have a real honesty review over the off season they'll finish higher, if they don't do any review they won't play finals. Who really knows with this team.

6. Knights - About the same as this year. Won't go on the same 10 game run but will do a lot better to start the season with an off season with everyone training in the right positions and the likes of Crossland training at 9.

7. Eels - Really don't feel comfortable having them this high as they're super unreliable, but they played in the GF not that long ago that you'd assume that last year was an anomaly - but again who really knows this this team

8. Roosters - Should make the finals purely on the basis of how much the squad is worth. Didn't see anything in their performances last year though to suggest they'll compete with the top teams. Couple of good signings though which will help.

9. Titans - They'll improve a lot. Could easily see them making the top 8. Good forward pack and I think Des will finally help them develop some identity. They'll keep improving and have 3-4 really good years before Des f**ks their salary cap.

10. Dolphins - like others can see them improving. I think might be a bit early for finals in 2024 but can definitely see them improving and making finals in 2025.

11. Dragons - Will improve under new coach but still not enough to play finals.

12. Sharks - can see them becoming disheartened after not winning a finals game in the past few years and slipping.

13. Cowboys - need to improve but I can't really see where that's going to come from.

14. Manly - I really don't like Seibold as a coach and DCE is getting really old. If Turbo comes back and has a stellar season they'll definitely finish but higher up the ladder, but I think he's done.

15. Raiders - squad seems to be getting worse rather than better. They did well this year to get into the finals beating the bottom teams but can see them falling way back if the same bottom teams improve. Stuart will still not be under any pressure.

16. Dogs - by far the worst squad in the comp. They're just lucky that the Tigers are a basket case.

17. Tigers - I really didn't want to put them last as I think their squad is probably a bit better than a 3x spoon winning side, but Benji is such a strange coaching decision and their board is a mess. Can't see them improving until there is a massive shake up from the top down.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member

The Roosters just slipped into the finals in the last round and just got home against a terrible Sharks team in probably the worst quality finals game we've seen in a decade. Then got beaten by Melbourne who tbh were pretty average this year and probably overachieved on the ladder due to their culture. They were slaughtered against the top teams.

The Raiders got into the finals by beating all the bottom teams and getting flogged by the top teams. The Roosters did the exact same thing. Definitely not a class above. Pretty similar seasons tbh.

The Knights didn't play well in the finals but to be honest they had much less finals experience than the rest of the top 8 and the only way they're going to get better at knowing how to play finals football is to play it. They were also playing sudden death football for the previous 10 weeks and ran out of steam. They'll be better for it. Will they make the top 4 next year? Likely not, but I'd give them a better chance than the Roosters purely off what we saw this year. Time will tell.
I don't actually disagree with his general sentiment that Roosters will go up and Knights will go down, rather the logic behind it.

I would have back Warriors, Knights & Raiders to beat any of Storm, Roosters or Sharks in Week 1 - 3. Raiders were an awful team in the regular season no doubt but one thing the Stickman is good at is getting them up for the finals. Maybe the Raiders is a stretch - Warriors & Knights comfortably though.

mongoose

Coach
1. Broncos - Herbie is a big loss but they can cover him, they're in a premiership window and will be hungry after the choke in this years grand final.
2. Rabbitohs - Faded badly in 2023, I think they will be better prepared and stronger in 2024.
3. Panthers - Another strong season but they are gradually becoming more beatable.
4. Sharks - Disappointing in 2023 but I still think they are building towards something.
5. Roosters - Still strong on paper and one of the best coaches in the comp, I think they will improve on the last 2 years.
6. Cowboys - Drinkwater, Deardan and Robson are very good, just need to find that consistency again.
7. Warriors - Probably benefitted from a soft draw and a lot of good will in 2023, will fall slightly.
8. Storm - Storm aren't the well oiled machine they once were and I get the feeling Bellamy doesn't have the passion he used to. They still have a strong team on paper.

9. Dolphins - With a season under their belt and stronger combinations I think they will improve in 2024
10. Titans - Will be interesting to see what Des brings to the Gold Coast, could creep into the 8 but will probably just miss out.
11. Bulldogs - Club seems to be working very hard off the field, it will translate to wins at some point. Slowly moving up the ladder.
12. Knights - I still think they rely so heavily on 1 player, take him out and they struggle.
13. Dragons - I rate Flanno as a coach, i think he will get them moving back up the ladder, but slowly...
14. Eels - Missed the 8 in 2023 and will continue to slide.
15. Raiders - We had a soft draw in 2023 that kept us in the 8 for most of the year. In 2024 we will have no first grade quality hooker, 5/8 or fullback..
16. Tigers - I think they'll avoid the spoon but this club is not moving forwards imo
17. Sea Eagles - Turbo is done, DCE is like 40, Brooks going to another club where he wont play finals

Someone2

Juniors
1. Broncos
2. Warriors
3. Panthers
4. Eels
5. Storm
6. Titans
7. Dolphins
8. Manly

9. Roosters
10. Souths
11. Cowboys
12. Raiders
13. Bulldogs
14. Sharks
15. Knights
16. Dragons
17. Tigers

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Warriors, as it stands, unfortunately are a bottom 8 club now that AFB is packing up his sh*t.

A propping rotation of Barnett, Afoa, Ale and someone else just won't cut it.

1-4 the teams that did good last year and everyone thought would do good
5-8 the teams that did bad last year but should have done good
9-12 the teams that did good last year but everyone thought would do bad
13-15 the teams that did bad last year and everyone thought would do bad
16-17 mergers

gerg

Juniors
It's hard to do a ladder predictor until the dust settles on player movement and the 2024 draw is released, to see which teams have the easiest draw. Except for Penrith. They've had the easiest draw for the past three years, constantly playing teams below them on the ladder.

GongPanther

Referee
It's hard to do a ladder predictor until the dust settles on player movement and the 2024 draw is released, to see which teams have the easiest draw. Except for Penrith. They've had the easiest draw for the past three years, constantly playing teams below them on the ladder.
Beat me to it. After the 10th Nov during that time when the default clubs can table a counter offer, then the picture will be clearer.

soc123_au

Staff member
I was hoping it'd finally be 17) Dragons after narrowly escaping it this year but Flanno will turn them around.
I was actually going to put Dragons there, but the Flanno > Benchi battle swayed me. I'd like to see the Tigers get off the bottom, but Tigers will Tiger.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
You think Knights were a class below everyone but the Raiders? Haha please. The Roosters Sharks final was the worst quality final this year and we beat the Sharks several weeks earlier by 26 points (- Hynes, yes, - our halfback too). That side of the draw was a joke besides Penrith.
Correct

Valheru

Coach

Yeah that's actually my whole point which makes the rest of your rant rather meaningless

Again, this is just my prediction, no need to get offended by it. If knights repeat what they did this year in 2024 then good luck to them. I don't think they will though.

Woody90

Juniors
Yeah that's actually my whole point which makes the rest of your rant rather meaningless

Again, this is just my prediction, no need to get offended by it. If knights repeat what they did this year in 2024 then good luck to them. I don't think they will though.

No your point was that the Roosters were a class above which they obviously weren’t. They fell into the finals in the final round, played poorly in round 1 and were knocked out week 2. Not exactly a class above.

Not offended at all by your prediction. Other than the top 2 teams it’s a tight comp and anything can happen. Just pointing out your logic behind saying that the Roosters were a class above the knights and raiders this year doesn’t make a lot of sense to me personally. They were just another team in the bottom 6 of the finals that were never going to bother the top 2.

Vic Mackey

Referee

The Knights were riding a wave of momentum that was created by one player being absolutely elite. When you see teams that aren't regular finals sides go on these big end of season runs (tigers 05, eels 09, dogs 12, Raiders 16, NQ17, Manly 21) they are rarely, if ever, backed up the following year. Momentum in sport isn't often associated with substance, it tricks these teams into thinking they're going better then they actually are.

Titanic

First Grade
1-2: Penrith, 'Ponies,
3-6: Roosters, Warriors, Parra, Souffs,
7-11: Storm, Cows, Knights, Sharks, Titans,
12-16: Dogs, Dolphins, Dragons, Manly, Raiders,
17: Tigers.