What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 NRL finals matchups/schedule/locations

Wb1234

Immortal
Fox reporting that the switch wasn't to avoid the heat in Townsville but rather to avoid a clash with the AFL on the Saturday with GWS of all teams hosting...

Gutless by the NRL if true. Dogs would crush GWS.

Yes agreed weak by the nrl

But dogs on Sunday arvo and cowboys on sat is a better result and how the nrl should’ve scheduled it from the start

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yes I agree with you, but what about the Knights? They've done a Bradbury to make the finals, purely from the teams around them faltering near the finish line (most notably, the Dragons). As a Knights fan myself, I honestly couldn't be upset if they didn't make the finals because I'll admit that they've performed WELL below par for most of the season.

Since the top 8 finals format was first used in 1995, out of all the teams that have finished in the top 8 at the end of the final round of the regular season, the Knights must now (after today) hold the record for the most number of rounds a team that ended up qualifying for the finals has stayed outside of the top 8 during the season.

Leading up to the final round, there were only TWO out of TWENTY-SIX rounds throughout this season where the Knights were in the top 8 at the end of the round (Rounds 11 and 12). In terms of the number of tries scored during the season, within the space of 12 months, they have gone from having the best attack in the competition last year (114 tries) to the worst this year (yes, even the the Wests Tigers scored more tries than the Knights!). Their attack has been disjointed and very frustrating to watch for most of this season.

I think the Eels in 2009 mightve scraped in the 8 in the last two rounds but could be wrong.

That's about the 3rd time in 4 years the Knights have made the 8 but stayed outside most of the year, whereas other teams sit comfortable for a period only to crash out of the 8.

blue bags

First Grade
Yes I agree with you, but what about the Knights? They've done a Bradbury to make the finals, purely from the teams around them faltering near the finish line (most notably, the Dragons). As a Knights fan myself, I honestly couldn't be upset if they didn't make the finals because I'll admit that they've performed WELL below par for most of the season.

Since the top 8 finals format was first used in 1995, out of all the teams that have finished in the top 8 at the end of the final round of the regular season, the Knights must now (after today) hold the record for the most number of rounds a team that ended up qualifying for the finals has stayed outside of the top 8 during the season.

Leading up to the final round, there were only TWO out of TWENTY-SIX rounds throughout this season where the Knights were in the top 8 at the end of the round (Rounds 11 and 12). In terms of the number of tries scored during the season, within the space of 12 months, they have gone from having the best attack in the competition last year (114 tries) to the worst this year (yes, even the the Wests Tigers scored more tries than the Knights!). Their attack has been disjointed and very frustrating to watch for most of this season.
Swapping halves combination about 10 Times
What can anyone expect 🧐

kurt faulk

Coach
purely from the teams around them faltering near the finish line (most notably, the Dragons)

It was a much needed capitulation. Saints weren't ready to compete and making the 8 would have paper mached the very real problems with the team.

Now Flanagan is sharpening the axe and gonna cut all the deadwood for real. If lawrie and eisenhuth are on the team next season you know he wasn't able to get enough nrl level replacements and saints will go nowhere again next season.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Fox reporting that the switch wasn't to avoid the heat in Townsville but rather to avoid a clash with the AFL on the Saturday with GWS of all teams hosting...

Gutless by the NRL if true. Dogs would crush GWS.

The NRL still had the flexibility to move matches while the AFL had theirs locked in

NSW Police and other authorities are consulted when scheduling these big matches, same for any sport
I suspect they would’ve suggested moving the game for logistical reasons

Also, there’s a Thirty seconds to Mars concert on Saturday night at Qudos Arena. They will probably crush the Giants too.

Makes sense to move the only event that was capable of being moved

Fox are just stirring shit

undertaker

Coach
I think the Eels in 2009 mightve scraped in the 8 in the last two rounds but could be wrong.

That's about the 3rd time in 4 years the Knights have made the 8 but stayed outside most of the year, whereas other teams sit comfortable for a period only to crash out of the 8.
I just had a look at the 2009 season stats and Parramatta were in the top 8 at the end of Rounds 3, 25 and 26.

So, the Knights winning today equalled Parra's record today, making the finals after finishing in the top 8 at the end of only 3 rounds during the season (Rounds 11, 12 and 27).

As I pointed out earlier, the Knights also had the worst attack of all 17 teams (in terms of the number of tries scored during the season).

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
Melbourne's week 3 match would be the same day as the AFL GF. Not a direct clash but not ideal either.
It won’t affect the size of the crowd, but it just makes the experience a little less fun as you won’t be able to get into any pubs or bars beforehand, and you won’t be able to drive in either.

Good for TV though, will see strong ratings in Melbourne.

Latest posts