What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 R19 Sun - Manly 44-6 Newcastle @ 4 Pines

Round 19: Manly v Newcastle

• Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Newcastle Knights

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2024 - Round 19
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles v Newcastle Knights
4 Pines Park, Brookvale / Cammeraygal (TICKETS)

Sunday 14 July 2024
NRL kickoff 4:05pm

Broadcast live on Nine, 9Now, Fox, Kayo

MANLY2024.png

1. Tom Trbojevic 2. Jason Saab 3. Tommy Talau 4. Reuben Garrick 5. Lehi Hopoate 6. Luke Brooks 7. Jamie Humphreys 8. Toafofoa Sipley 9. Jake Simpkin 10. Josh Aloiai 11. Haumole Olakau'atu 12. Karl Lawton 13. Nathan Brown 14. Clayton Faulalo 15. Gordon Chan Kum Tong 16. Ethan Bullemor 17. Corey Waddell 18. Caleb Navale 19. Aaron Schoupp 20. Dean Matterson 21. Ben Condon 22. Aitasi James

Origin reps unavailable: Jake Trbojevic (NSW), Daly Cherry-Evans (QLD)
Out: Toluta'u Koula (fullback), Daly Cherry-Evans (halfback), Ben Trbojevic (second row), Jake Trbojevic (lock)
In: Jamie Humphreys (halfback), Clayton Faulalo (bench), Gordon Chan Kum Tong (bench), Corey Waddell (bench), Caleb Navale (reserve), Aaron Schoupp (reserve), Dean Matterson (reserve), Ben Condon (reserve), Aitasi James (reserve)
Changes: Tom Trbojevic (centre to fullback), Tommy Talau (wing to centre), Lehi Hopoate (bench to wing), Karl Lawton (bench to second row), Nathan Brown (bench to lock)

NEWCASTLE2024.png

1. Fletcher Sharpe 2. Krystian Mapapalangi 3. Dylan Lucas 4. Thomas Cant 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Will Pryce 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Daniel Saifiti 9. Phoenix Crossland 10. Leo Thompson 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Kai Pearce-Paul 13. Adam Elliott 14. Jayden Brailey 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Brodie Jones 17. Mathew Croker 18. Jack Hetherington 19. Jack Cogger 20. Kyle McCarthy 21. Riley Jones 22. Thomas Jenkins

Origin reps unavailable: Kalyn Ponga, Dane Gagai (QLD), Bradman Best (NSW)
Out: Kalyn Ponga (fullback), Enari Tuala (wing), Dane Gagai (centre), Bradman Best (centre)
In: Krystian Mapapalangi (wing), Thomas Cant (centre), Phoenix Crossland (hooker), Adam Elliott (lock), Jack Cogger (reserve), Kyle McCarthy (reserve), Riley Jones (reserve), Thomas Jenkins (reserve)
Changes: Jayden Brailey (hooker to bench), Mat Croker (lock to bench), Fletcher Sharpe (bench to fullback), Dylan Lucas (bench to centre)

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Grant ATKINS
Sideline Officials: Dave MUNRO, Chris SUTTON
Video Referee: Wyatt RAYMOND

HEAD TO HEAD - 1988 - 2023​

TOTALMANNEWDRAWN
ALL MATCHES5935231
4 PINES221840

LAST FIVE MEETINGS​

YEARROUNDRESULTVENUECROWD
2021Round 12NEW 18-10McD. Jones17348
2022Round 5MAN 30-6McD. Jones9472
2022Round 18MAN 42-124 Pines15896
2023Round 5DRAW 32-32Glen Willow9024
2023Round 13NEW 28-18McD. Jones20661

BIGGEST WINS​

YEARROUNDRESULTVENUECROWD
2004Round 16NEW 56-12EnergyAustralia17967
2004Round 23MAN 48-10Brookvale10028

NEXT FOUR MATCHES​

Round 20Round 21Round 22Round 23
MANG COAST (H)SYDNEY (A)(BYE)CANBERRA (A)
NEWBRISBANE (H)(BYE)PENRITH (A)W TIGERS (H)

LAST THREE MATCHES​

Round 16 Round 17 Round 18
MANSOUTHSL 0-14BYE N QLDW 21-20
NEW(BYE)PARRAW 34-26CANBERRAW 16-12

STATE OF PLAY: 2024 SEASON​

POSITIONPLAYEDBYESW-L-DFORAGAINST
MAN7th1628-7-1372343
NEW9th1628-8-0298341

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
2 backrowers in the centres, an unproven junior centre with a handful of games on one wing, dick-fingers Marzhew on the other, a 3rd game rookie at 5/8th and an average halfback plodding about on one leg. If Manly can't beat that backline - handily - then they don't deserve to be playing finals.

Sadly, I don't see how we're any hope at all this week.

eagles4eva

First Grade
2 backrowers in the centres, an unproven junior centre with a handful of games on one wing, dick-fingers Marzhew on the other, a 3rd game rookie at 5/8th and an average halfback plodding about on one leg. If Manly can't beat that backline - handily - then they don't deserve to be playing finals.

If we make the finals it will show how weak the comp is!!!

Vic Mackey

Referee

whilst your first paragraph is true i think youre under estimating exactly what DCE means to this manly side. without him theyre down with us and parra for mine. last game he missed they couldnt score a point against the team comiing 15th. havent seen humphreys play but he seems to have some wraps so will help, as will being back at brookie.

no real confidence but i think newie can get an upset here.

perverse

Referee
whilst your first paragraph is true i think youre under estimating exactly what DCE means to this manly side. without him theyre down with us and parra for mine. last game he missed they couldnt score a point against the team comiing 15th. havent seen humphreys play but he seems to have some wraps so will help, as will being back at brookie.

I don't think it's impossible for the Knights to win, but I do think it's embarassing for Manly if they can't beat us given the circumstance.

It's all well and good to talk about DCE and his importance, but I don't see in which universe he's a much bigger loss than Ponga is for the Knights. We went from the best attacking team in the comp last year with him in the team to being dead last in the comp this year without him. Then you take Gamble out, also a huge contributor. Then you strip the entire backline out bar Marzhew too. Then you hobble Hastings with chronic injuries. Our backline, 1 through 6, has about 90 games between the lot of them - and 60 of those are Marzhew. 3 of them are playing out of position - and 3 of them haven't even played 5 games between them.

Like I get what you're saying, DCE is a big out for them, but from a Knights fans perspective it's a bit like cry me a river. We're sending a bunch of kids out against men. I don't think it's impossible for the Knights to pull an upset - but given all of the above, I just think they have no business in finals footy if they can't comfortably account for what we're sending at them this week.

If we win, this will be a tremendously embarassing loss for Manly. I think everyone is broadly in agreement that this would be a positive for the sport of Rugby League, but it's a loooong shot.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I don't think it's impossible for the Knights to win, but I do think it's embarassing for Manly if they can't beat us given the circumstance.

It's all well and good to talk about DCE and his importance, but I don't see in which universe he's a much bigger loss than Ponga is for the Knights. We went from the best attacking team in the comp last year with him in the team to being dead last in the comp this year without him. Then you take Gamble out, also a huge contributor. Then you strip the entire backline out bar Marzhew too. Then you hobble Hastings with chronic injuries. Our backline, 1 through 6, has about 90 games between the lot of them - and 60 of those are Marzhew. 3 of them are playing out of position - and 3 of them haven't even played 5 games between them.

Like I get what you're saying, DCE is a big out for them, but from a Knights fans perspective it's a bit like cry me a river. We're sending a bunch of kids out against men. I don't think it's impossible for the Knights to pull an upset - but given all of the above, I just think they have no business in finals footy if they can't comfortably account for what we're sending at them this week.

If we win, this will be a tremendously embarassing loss for Manly. I think everyone is broadly in agreement that this would be a positive for the sport of Rugby League, but it's a loooong shot.

100% agree, the knights backline has been ravaged. Theres a reason manly are $1.40 favs. Ponga a huge loss but Knights won 4 on the trot without him didnt they? I think Sharpe looks pretty good too.

I might be putting too much emphasis on DCE, but I had Brooks as a dominant play maker for a decade and saw how that panned out.

perverse

Referee
100% agree, the knights backline has been ravaged. Theres a reason manly are $1.40 favs. Ponga a huge loss but Knights won 4 on the trot without him didnt they? I think Sharpe looks pretty good too.

I might be putting too much emphasis on DCE, but I had Brooks as a dominant play maker for a decade and saw how that panned out.
Yeah I don't mean to disparage the kids we are sending out there either. They are all actually very good prospects with a lot of potential (except perhaps Mapapalangi, not sure on him at this point). Maps has had a hard road full of injury to first grade. 3 or 4 years ago he was definitely a top prospect, but he's one of those kids that can't get on the field during a really critical time of their development and his chances might have passed him by.

I'd honestly have confidence if we only had to run one of them at a time, and in their preferred positions. Running them all out there at the same time - out of position - is the big concern. I think they all have pretty good futures though, the Knights are finally starting to produce some real talent again.

Apey

Staff member
I think this being at home tips it in Manly's favour even with the respective outs. We don't really play well there ever. Still, bar the Bulldogs game, I don't think we've really been embarrassed much in the last few months. That could go two ways, it might mean we're due.

firechild

First Grade

While I'm not saying you're remotely incorrect, the team that lost to Souths was without Tom Trbojevic, Jake Trbojevic, DCE, Garrick, Oshay Olay, Paseka, Sipley, Croker, Olakau'atu. That's a fair chunk of their preferred starting 13.

Woody90

Juniors

While this is all true, the boys will be very committed to get a win for their much loved and easy to work with teammate Jackson Hasting on his 100th NRL game.

SBD82

Coach
Curious to hear Manly fans’ thoughts on Garrick in the centres.

I find it a bit confusing. I don’t think he is up to it defensively, and it seems to blunt the attack that he offered out wide.

Would Hoppa be a better option?

mave

Coach
Curious to hear Manly fans’ thoughts on Garrick in the centres.

I find it a bit confusing. I don’t think he is up to it defensively, and it seems to blunt the attack that he offered out wide.

Would Hoppa be a better option?

We are playing an elite finishing winger out of position, cause he was promised it last contract time.

Hurts the team, hurts the player, hurts the club.

The Manly Way.

Latest posts