What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 R20 Sun - Penrith v Dolphins @ BlueBet

Round 20: Penrith v Dolphins

• Penrith Panthers

• Dolphins

• Draw after Golden Point

Results are only viewable after voting.

Valheru

Coach
Same points as this time last year. I agree we haven't looked that flash at times, but still doing what's needed. The flex against the Sharks should tell you what's coming when we need it.
On the ladder stuff, that is true however I would point out a couple of things

* Penrith are indeed on the same points as last year however they have scored 40 less and conceded 40 more points to this stage, in other words it hasn't come as easy which is my overarching point.
* 28 Points was good enough for first on the ladder after round 19 last year although Brisbane had more wins. This year there is a team two wins clear and two other teams who have the same amount of wins and a better F/A. What this means is there will be more of a battle to finish top 2.

Perhaps they will "click" and destroy the competition come finals but nothing I have seen this year tells me that is likely.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors

* Penrith are indeed on the same points as last year however they have scored 40 less and conceded 40 more points to this stage, in other words it hasn't come as easy which is my overarching point.
* 28 Points was good enough for first on the ladder after round 19 last year although Brisbane had more wins. This year there is a team two wins clear and two other teams who have the same amount of wins and a better F/A. What this means is there will be more of a battle to finish top 2.

Perhaps they will "click" and destroy the competition come finals but nothing I have seen this year tells me that is likely.

Your points are valid, but my only response to that would be that Nathan Cleary played 22 games in 2023, he has only played 3 80 minute games this season. He scored 216 points in 2023, and 28 in 2024 so far. 20 Try assists in 2023, 5 in 2024

He is the difference, and will always be the difference.

MrBlack

Juniors

Of the top 4 teams we have been the most affected by Origin, add to that the Cleary injury and also the loss of Creighton this year.

This year was always going to be about timing our run home.

Apey

Staff member
I'm irrelevant to this convo but am bored at work. A full strength and flying Penrith feels almost unstoppable, IMO. How could they not do it for Luai and Fish? Methinks that they will probably be even more passionate about 24 than 23. Their centres are an issue, though. WTF has happened to Tago? Ever since he told everyone to cure their injuries with bone broth and green tea, and to get cash out at every opportunity, he's gone to shit.

I don't think Melbourne or the Roosters are as dangerous as we were last year. But let's see how they move through the last rounds.

To contradict myself I do think that the only team that could trouble them would be the Roosters but they'd need to be flawless. They've certainly got the talent. Yes, I know that Melbourne won round 1 against them, but as if that compares to September/October. We learned that last year.

My preference is that Penrith take Melbourne or the Roosters souls* next.

*neither of those clubs actually have a soul tho lol
Your club needs to accept some responsibility for posters like @Chins get the wins

Fangs

Coach
I'll use a Gus Gould definition for 2024: It's a soft competition.

The Broncos of 2023 absolutely stomp teams like the Roosters, Storm or Sharks. And I'd have to admit in 2024 they probably take out Penrith as well.

But the Broncos aren't making the finals. The Roosters have improved but haven't beaten Penrith since Trump was in power (I might be on to something here). The Storm look the same as last year. Likewise the Sharks, they've slightly turned the corner winning matches against top 8 sides but got absolutely obliterated when they took on the premiers.

Penrith are still the best defensive team in the competition. And when it comes to the best performances of the year no one has come close to round 12 against the Sharks. That is really all we have to go with.

So I'm still pretty confident they will take out 2024. Another team needs to show something in the next 8 weeks to convince me otherwise.

Valheru

Coach
Your points are valid, but my only response to that would be that Nathan Cleary played 22 games in 2023, he has only played 3 80 minute games this season. He scored 216 points in 2023, and 28 in 2024 so far. 20 Try assists in 2023, 5 in 2024

He is the difference, and will always be the difference.
And what were those 3 games he played 80 minutes in?

8-0 loss to Storm
26-18 win v Parra
26-20 win v Cowboys

He also played 71 minutes in a 34-14 win against Broncos

Those results are in line with the rest of the panthers 2024 season. I understand you guys thinking he will be the silver bullet, but again, I don't see that happening. He will undoubtedly improve the team but not to the point they just need to turn up in the finals to win.

Also, how fit is he really going to be? He has had the same injury twice now.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

8-0 loss to Storm
26-18 win v Parra
26-20 win v Cowboys

Those results are in line with the rest of the panthers 2024 season. I understand you guys thinking he will be the silver bullet, but again, I don't see that happening. He will undoubtedly improve the team but not to the point they just need to turn up in the finals to win.

Even without him we'd win the comp

Iamback

Coach

8-0 loss to Storm
26-18 win v Parra
26-20 win v Cowboys

Yeah but other circumstances behind those results

Round 1 for example Kenny was suspended. Luai and others with no pre season.

You don't fit he will be back fit within 8 weeks to the finals?

Fangs

Coach
Even without him we'd win the comp

No chance it happens in 2021 or 2023. Maybe in 2022.

The fact that its possible in 2024 speaks volumes about the quality of other teams. Its a soft comp. Deadset I have the Dogs and Manly as possible grand finalists at this point.

Latest posts