What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 R27 Thu - Brisbane 12-50 Melbourne @ Suncorp

Round 27: Brisbane v Melbourne

• Brisbane Broncos

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Melbourne Storm

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jason Maher

Immortal
Kevvy is clearly not a good coach so I am wondering how he came so close to stopping a Panthers three peat. Unbelievable
Momentum is a funny thing. Last year they had it. Until Nathan Cleary decided to halt it. This year they never really got rolling. Similar story with the Warriors. Or the Cows in 2022 and last year. Any team can have a good year. Keeping the roll going is very difficult. It should be much easier for Brisbane than other teams with all their natural advantages, but in the last decade the aura they used to have has really worn off. Even Bennett's final game in charge was a humiliating loss to the Mary-coached Dragons on their own dunghill. They're just another team who have up and down years now. Melbourne and Penrith have the aura now.

Thats what the players themselves will tell you.

I think they need to keep Kevvie. Its the players that need to be punted or at least have their egos pulled in
While I don’t necessarily disagree that the roster needs to look at itself, how exactly do you punt the players? Not having a go, but it’s not like it’s a single playmaker not pulling his weight that could be replaced; if the whole roster is underperforming you don’t have any option but to punt the coach.

Yeah it is a disaster. DD has been a flop of a CEO and the club is run by the opinions of the old boys like a high school drama group.

I can't think of who we'd go after. Not much could be worse than Kevvie (other than TBaz) - the players aren't learning. First Gamble called it out, then Cobbo did. If Cobbo is speaking up on a podcast, well Kevvie is f**king shit. Cobbo barely speaks ffs.

Go after Willie Peters, I say. Whatever. I'm at desperation levels.
Would you go the Walker Bros? Or has that ship sailed?

Generalzod

Immortal
Momentum is a funny thing. Last year they had it. Until Nathan Cleary decided to halt it. This year they never really got rolling. Similar story with the Warriors. Or the Cows in 2022 and last year. Any team can have a good year. Keeping the roll going is very difficult. It should be much easier for Brisbane than other teams with all their natural advantages, but in the last decade the aura they used to have has really worn off. Even Bennett's final game in charge was a humiliating loss to the Mary-coached Dragons on their own dunghill. They're just another team who have up and down years now. Melbourne and Penrith have the aura now.
There comes a time where empires do eventual fall..

10$ Ferret

Staff member
While I don’t necessarily disagree that the roster needs to look at itself, how exactly do you punt the players? Not having a go, but it’s not like it’s a single playmaker not pulling his weight that could be replaced; if the whole roster is underperforming you don’t have any option but to punt the coach.
The thing I like about Kevvie is that he is honest and takes responsibility. I thought the reason they did well last year (aside from Reynolds) is that he managed to get the egos in check. Right or wrong you are probably right and he will get the punt eventually.

They overachieved last year due to unfair advantages they receive (14 home games a year, more 7 day turnarounds than anyone). This year they had the same advantages and fell in a heap cos they let last years success go to their heads. They love the pats on the back and are content with getting them, but don't have the hunger to be the best.

Saxon

Bench
Good player out of the junior Melbourne Storm assembly….lol
May as well be.
Could barely get a game at Titans. Played for 2 years in QCup cos he couldn't get a first grade gig. Got signed by Cowboys at minimum wage and got one game..

Comes to Storm and Bellyache turns him into a superstar.

King hit

Coach
May as well be.
Could barely get a game at Titans. Played for 2 years in QCup cos he couldn't get a first grade gig. Got signed by Cowboys at minimum wage and got one game..

Comes to Storm and Bellyache turns him into a superstar.
This is why when Bellamy steps down it will be the biggest moment in the Storms history. As long as he is in charge you’ve got absolutely nothing to stress about whatsoever.

Bazal

Post Whore
This is why when Bellamy steps down it will be the biggest moment in the Storms history. As long as he is in charge you’ve got absolutely nothing to stress about whatsoever.

Meh. I don't have the rabid BuT hE'd SuCk If He WaSnT aT mElBoTtOm views some do, but I also think that he's perfectly replaceable. The thing he does so well is create systems and a bubble, and what the Storm generally do so well as a club is recruit players who will fit in with one or both. As long as he doesn't take the Bennett scorched earth approach, the bubble takes care of itself and he should be well and truly able to prep his replacement.

There might be an adjustment period for new strategies and okays etc but tbh the way Melbourne are now the coach is just another cog in the machine.