What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Round 19 - Vs Dolphins

callmack1

Staff member
Late reaction to the game as I went straight to bed afterwards and then had to work today.

Sigh.... I have been so frustrated and grumpy today after last night. A really tough game and a really tough loss to end our win streak and bring us crashing back down to earth. That one really hurt last night and to be honest, it's still burning me today. This is just about the worst I have felt after a game all Season.

The reason for that isn't because we played awful, we've had much worse losses in 2024, but it's because that was the one that got away. I really feel like we beat ourselves last night and we probably should have won that game. We had plenty of opportunities to do so, and it was right there within our grasp, but we blew it. I really feel like we lost that game, rather than the Dolphins winning it if that makes sense. That's not to say the Dolphins didn't play well, they were really on and played awsome, I just think we weren't at the level we needed to be. If we were, then we win that.

Gutted by it to be honest, really gutted by it. As I said, not because it was a horrendous loss, but because we have finally got ourselves to a level where we can start to believe again, and where we can win games like this and to not get it done because of our own performance is guttering.

Hornby was spot on in his presser. We let them get the jump on us early, and then we were kind of chasing the game from there. Our defence really took a step back from the level it has been, that is bitterly disappointing. Some of the tries they scored haven't been happening in recent weeks, and they shouldn't happen now that we've got to that level. The Farnworth, Fulla, and O'Sullivan tries were just not up to our standard. Really poor defence. The Farnworth one in particular really irks me. Conceding 36 points after weeks of solid D is really disheartening too.

I also feel that we weren't physically as up for this as we have been. Because of that, the Dolphins dominated through the middle and as a result, it felt like we were coming out of our end the whole game. What's more, another area I think we took a backwards step in was our discipline. Too many yardage penalties and there were lots of six again's. Again, that's disappointing after being so good lately.

We didn't win the moments either. The biggest two were Taane not passing to AJ midway through the second half when he was wide open. That's a certain try bombed. The second was Wighton not finding touch. At that stage of the game, I think we were only down by eight or six and on the massive comeback. We had all the momentum and that completely killed our chances and the Dolphins wrestled it back. That sucked.

Of course, then there was the goal kicking. Kick more conversions and we probably win. But I can't really blame the goal kicking. We should have never been in a position where it came down to that.

These are all the reasons why we lost in my opinion.

Now, for the good stuff.

I feel like our attack in good field position was really good! Well executed, we asked plenty of questions and scored some gorgeous tries. We struck often too after not spending a lot of time down there which shows how dominant the attack was over the Dolphins, we just didn't have enough chances because the boys were stuck down their end due to all the things I mentioned earlier. Our attack really was more than good enough to win that.

I'm also proud of the fight and desire we showed to continually not fold. We fought our way back so many times in that game, particularly at the end. A lot of teams wouldn't have that sort of fight, but we never gave up, that was really good. I think it shows that despite not getting the result, this team really has turned a corner.

Cody, Gray, Gags, Keaon and Arrow were all fantastic.

Ughhh just so disappointed. I think we all know this team had it in them to win that game and make a real statement against a top side, but we fumbled it ourselves. That stings. It was also a game that we really had to win if we were going to make this finals run legit. It is now hanging by a thread.

Gutted.

callmack1

Staff member

speedster

Juniors
Bit of a boring weekend now that we've lost and we have fewer games to watch that are watered down by too many players missing.

Bring on Wednesday already.

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Disappointing, the defense let us down, and poor discipline gifting them restarts and yardage.
Need to get Milne well away from AJ
Need to sign Tevita Pangai before his value goes much higher.
I was sitting 3 rows back in the corner at Kayo Stadium where Milne made that break and blatantly refused to pass the ball to AJ.

I straight away focused on AJ’s reaction and the sheer disbelief on his face (if looks could kill 😡) and the disgust in his body language when he turns his back on Milne said it all for me.

There is NO love lost between the 2 of them 👎

Hellray

Juniors
Milne makes good metres from our own end but lacks footy smarts when it counts. I'd like to see Fletcher Meyers have a run. He looks a footballer.
If Myers can back up his hatrick from last week with a few more tries in Reggie’s this weekend I’m sure he will definitely get heavy consideration for next week

Latest posts