What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 rule change: drop-out and kick-off penalties

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
National Rugby League | January 17 2024 5:24PM

The NRL has confirmed a change to Law and Interpretations ahead of the 2024 NRL Pre-Season and Premiership.

The change is designed to incentivise more contests for the ball from set restarts.

AMENDMENT FOR THE 2024 SEASON

Contested Restarts

If a team kicks the ball out on the full over the touch line, or the ball fails to travel at least 10 metres forward in an attempt to contest a restart from the goal-line, 20m line, or half-way line, play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch, rather than with a penalty kick. The change will give more incentive for teams to attempt short kick-offs or drop-outs.

----

"While relatively minor, this change will add to the unpredictability of the game," NRL Executive General Manager - Elite Football Graham Annesley said.

"Teams will no longer risk conceding significant territory as well as a penalty for attempting to regain possession from restarts of play.

"We undertook a thorough review of the 2023 season, including consultation with the NRL Clubs, the RLPA and other stakeholders, and while there was a strong desire to keep changes to a minimum, this minor change will incentivise short kick-offs and drop-outs.

"This will strongly accompany the Commission's direction to enhance the existing rules, leading to a faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable game."

The change has been approved by the Commission and was communicated today to the NRL Clubs and Coaches.

I hate this rule change. Instead of increasing unpredictability, it has further moved the risk/reward of rolling the ball into the in-goal area in favour of the defending team. Will likely mean teams are less likely to try to attack with a kick off the last tackle, and instead choose to die with the ball on the 5th tackle.

Perhaps that is the point; less blocks of possession means less blowouts. The game has moved in the direction of looking for closer games versus rewarding quality and the integrity of the competition.

But the one aspect of play I don’t like from my beloved Panthers is the game plan to stick the ball up the jumper on play 6 and hand it over inside the 10, rather than trying to manufacture points with a kick and risking giving away field position. Other sides are starting to do the same thing. This change is only going to make that trade-off worse for the attackers.

nick87

Coach
Every kick off and drop out should be short unless you’re protecting a lead late in the game

That change has, in my view, completely flipped the risk reward component of that and the reward now substantially outweighs minimal risks

edit: I don’t have strong views on whether that’s ultimately a good or bad thing for the game, I’ll reserve judgement until I see it in action but for better or worse, short kick offs should be the norm going forward

Last edited:

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Every kick off and drop out should be short unless you’re protecting a lead late in the game

That change has, in my view, completely flipped the risk reward component of that and the reward now substantially outweighs minimal risks

edit: I don’t have strong views on whether that’s ultimately a good or bad thing for the game, I’ll reserve judgement until I see it in action but for better or worse, short kick offs should be the norm going forward
I hate that we never see grubbers or chips into the ingoal anymore. This only makes it worse

nick87

Coach
I dont know guys... like i get it, we've had a lot of rule changes under PVL and some of them have SUUUCKED!
But i wouldnt immediately rule out the idea that this could be good

I agree it will disincentivise kicks in behind the line, which are good try scoring opportunities but also a means to build pressure.

My view is I expect we'll see teams use the football more on 6th tackle in the red zone and not just settle for a kick, and be willing to hand the ball over if tackled, rather than to roll it in, force a drop out and and try to build pressure.

Which could end up being a good thing if teams actually use the ball expansively on the last, i think that's more in line with the football we want to see rather than a boring bomb/or conservative kick in to force a drop out and build pressure
However, it could be a bad thing if they just settle for getting into a corner and handing it over and trying to rip in defensively. Potentially as a means to build pressure you'd take it to a corner and on the last tackle take a crack from dummy half... if you score, great, if not you hand the ball over to the team in a corner, a metre off their line and you can probably get 3-4 tackles into the set before the team is up over the 20 if you're disciplined enough

Not saying this is definitely going to be great for the game, just not willing to rule that out.

Last edited:

jpw2511

Juniors
And people think Kerry Packer defeated Rupert Murdoch .... The choko's , rorters and the grubs (storm) are protected species . Panthers are heading that route too while they are flavour of the decade

Sorry I don't agree. See rugby union where short kick offs are the norm. You want to tell me that leads to close contests in that code?

I'm skeptical, which is why I said "meh" in my initial posts as I'm willing to wait and see. Thing is, with change, you want people to accept it, you have to explain the why a lot better than the NRL have in its press release.

nick87

Coach
Sorry I don't agree. See rugby union where short kick offs are the norm. You want to tell me that leads to close contests in that code?

Can you walk me through this line of thinking as it relates to my post? Im not following at all
I didnt suggest at all short kick offs would produce close contests.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
And people think Kerry Packer defeated Rupert Murdoch .... The choko's , rorters and the grubs (storm) are protected species . Panthers are heading that route too while they are flavour of the decade
This hurts us more than anyone honey bun. Teams will just kick the ball out for 30 seconds more rest

mozza91

Coach
Dont like it as Knights fan. It encourages more short drop outs and we have about 0.00005% success rate of getting the ball back off short dropouts.

Iamback

Coach

I'm skeptical, which is why I said "meh" in my initial posts as I'm willing to wait and see. Thing is, with change, you want people to accept it, you have to explain the why a lot better than the NRL have in its press release.

Only thing I can think of.

Tight game. They want the team defending to go the risky play to mix it up

Latest posts