What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

colly

Juniors
Nrl max 1.5 million subscribers

what’s that work out too with what kayo is charging ?
Kayo only for best 4k two devices currently $35 times 1,500,000 million subscribers ( excluding Foxtel/satellite) for monthly figure of $52,500,000 so times by season, say 9 months equals $472,500,000 for Kayo only revenue.

Wb1234

Referee
Kayo only for best 4k two devices currently $35 times 1,500,000 million subscribers ( excluding Foxtel/satellite) for monthly figure of $52,500,000 so times by season, say 9 months equals $472,500,000 for Kayo only revenue.
If that’s true plus ad spending then it’s not far away for an nrl digital service and cutting out foxtel

Thursday Night Football - Eels vs Sharks:
Total Reach: 1,339,000
Total Average: 578,000
Total BOVD Average: 62,000
Big numbers once again for both pre and post match telecast. We seem to be doing very well this year with both these categories in an area where our main competitor had usually done much better than us. I don`t know what to put this down to, nothing appears to have changed with regard the way they are presented, although more discerning viewers may know otherwise.
I was wondering whether it had something to do with the new ratings system, but there does seem to be a marked increase this year.

Iamback

Coach

What is the productions costs though?

@The_Wookie has said it is $20m for production alone.

That is not counting the commentators wages and so on, if you are wanting fans to pay for a service you need that side of things to be elite

Iamback

Coach
subtract production costs from that - about 20m a year IIRC.

OF course, Vlandys just bought Global Advance for Racing NSW so might be able to get a better deal.

Racing is 12 months though.

Problem for sports doing their own production is costs during the off season

docbrown

Coach
subtract production costs from that - about 20m a year IIRC.

OF course, Vlandys just bought Global Advance for Racing NSW so might be able to get a better deal.

I had heard he was interested but didn't know the sale went through. I'd estimate that's slightly below cost price for equipment and facilities, like their mobile units. GA would have made more on that bulk sale and quicker too then selling kits individually. Unfortunately, there's just not that many buyers in Australia.

Another smart move by Vlandys. He will definitely have the numbers prepped on running an in-house production unit for NRL to compete against streaming/Foxtel service production costs. If he buys a decent tech or streaming service, it's not hard to connect the dots of what he's up to.

Wb1234

Referee
I had heard he was interested but didn't know the sale went through. I'd estimate that's slightly below cost price for equipment and facilities, like their mobile units. GA would have made more on that bulk sale and quicker too then selling kits individually. Unfortunately, there's just not that many buyers in Australia.

Another smart move by Vlandys. He will definitely have the numbers prepped on running an in-house production unit for NRL to compete against streaming/Foxtel service production costs. If he buys a decent tech or streaming service, it's not hard to connect the dots of what he's up to.
Can an nrl streaming service stack up now assuming they would get 1.5 million subscribers ?

Iamback

Coach
Can an nrl streaming service stack up now assuming they would get 1.5 million subscribers ?

No chance.

Maybe if ch10 goes broke and they buy a Studio.

Production is only part of it. They need some where to do pre and post games.

Panel shows etc

Wb1234

Referee
No chance.

Maybe if ch10 goes broke and they buy a Studio.

Production is only part of it. They need some where to do pre and post games.

Panel shows etc
Pvl has Randwick racecourse handy

they hosted the dally m a few years back

docbrown

Coach
These things in negotiations are all about legitimate threats. Is there a real rival bidder? Are they a serious threat? If so, I might have to up my own bid etc.

Previously if the NRL had said to the networks 'well we'll film it ourselves' they couldn't really back that up, so a broadcaster wouldn't be that intimidated by it. Now you can see how a broadcaster might think that it's a possible threat if he gets the Racing production set up and working well.

If he makes an announcement with a tech company or a streaming company - someone that has legitimate systems (storage, bandwith etc) to go with the production arm - well then the threat of 'we don't need you' becomes real too. It's basically making the NRL itself a rival bidder against the other networks.

Wb1234

Referee
These things in negotiations are all about legitimate threats. Is there a real rival bidder? Are they a serious threat? If so, I might have to up my own bid etc.

Previously if the NRL had said to the networks 'well we'll film it ourselves' they couldn't really back that up, so a broadcaster wouldn't be that intimidated by it. Now you can see how a broadcaster might think that it's a possible threat if he gets the Racing production set up and working well.

If he makes an announcement with a tech company or a streaming company - someone that has legitimate systems (storage, bandwith etc) to go with the production arm - well then the threat of 'we don't need you' becomes real too. It's basically making the NRL itself a rival bidder against the other networks.
Most of this forum were accusing him of the opposite when he scaled back nrl digital

maybe the economics of self streaming are getting better

Fox has to make huge profits of its nrl coverage

Iamback

Coach
Most of this forum were accusing him of the opposite when he scaled back nrl digital

maybe the economics of self streaming are getting better

Fox has to make huge profits of its nrl coverage

Fox have their producers, Camera men etc working on other projects in the business.

NRL wouldn't have that so have to pay higher during the 9 months to keep staff