What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 World Club Challenge

Pomoz

Bench
Yeah, it’s not a game I care about. I’d rather win Round1 of the NRL season
We will have to agree to disagree on this. It is a huge honour to win the WCC. Not winning it brings into question just how good this club really is. It is a black mark against our record. To not play those three is an insult to Wigan and rugby league in general. If we are going to do that, why bother even going?

Luke Bowden

First Grade
We will have to agree to disagree on this. It is a huge honour to win the WCC. Not winning it brings into question just how good this club really is. It is a black mark against our record. To not play those three is an insult to Wigan and rugby league in general. If we are going to do that, why bother even going?
I’d be more than happy if we didn’t attend.

The game means nothing, the English Super League is a below par competition, the game pales in comparison to winning an NRL comp.

All it does is mess with our pre-season.

Pomoz

Bench
I’d be more than happy if we didn’t attend.

The game means nothing, the English Super League is a below par competition, the game pales in comparison to winning an NRL comp.

All it does is mess with our pre-season.
That is simply not true, it does mean something. It comes with a trophy, a title and prize money. It will go in the record books.

It doesn't mess with pre-season, it just needs to be factored into the training schedule. It doesn't mean it is detrimental to our NRL start if it is managed properly.

It is just like SOO. It means nothing for the NRL title and you have to factor in how you train and manage that period without rep players.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
That is simply not true, it does mean something. It comes with a trophy, a title and prize money. It will go in the record books.

It doesn't mess with pre-season, it just needs to be factored into the training schedule. It doesn't mean it is detrimental to our NRL start if it is managed properly.

It is just like SOO. It means nothing for the NRL title and you have to factor in how you train and manage that period without rep players.

Oh wow, a trophy for beating a team from an inferior comp and some money that most likely won’t cover the cost of traveling over there.

So you think that in a perfect pre-season, the team jets off over to England to for a couple of weeks?

It’s absolutely nothing like SOO. Our players benefit massively from being involved in SOO games, they are playing and training with the best rugby league players in the World. It also exposes our reserve grade players to NRL games.
The WCC does none of these things.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’m sure the team would be keen to win a WCC.

Last seasons loss was a bit unexpected but the game was played in horrific conditions.

I would love to go over there for the game and take in a few premier league games but the weather in the north of England in February is not appealing at all. On the occasions I’ve gone back to England/ Scotland I’ve always done it in April/May or August/September when the weather makes it a more pleasurable experience.

The last time I went to the UK flights with Qantas started from about $1400 economy and $3000 premium economy. They are significantly dearer now.

Thought the game may have been held at Old Trafford given the have two away games around the time the WCC is scheduled. Probably better though packing out the 25000 seat DW Stadium.

Pomoz

Bench
Oh wow, a trophy for beating a team from an inferior comp and some money that most likely won’t cover the cost of traveling over there.

So you think that in a perfect pre-season, the team jets off over to England to for a couple of weeks?

It’s absolutely nothing like SOO. Our players benefit massively from being involved in SOO games, they are playing and training with the best rugby league players in the World. It also exposes our reserve grade players to NRL games.
The WCC does none of these things.
As I said. We have to agree to disagree.The inferior team has beaten us 3 times so far. The last time, away from home. Obviously the NRL is the best league, but their best teams are no mugs.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
As I said. We have to agree to disagree.The inferior team has beaten us 3 times so far. The last time, away from home. Obviously the NRL is the best league, but their best teams are no mugs.
I don’t care about their “best” playing in this fancy trial. .. I care about starting the season well and traveling to England is not going to help that.

I won’t be surprised if we have a really slow sluggish start to the season and everyone on here blows up.

Kilkenny

Coach
I don’t care about their “best” playing in this fancy trial. .. I care about starting the season well and traveling to England is not going to help that.

I won’t be surprised if we have a really slow sluggish start to the season and everyone on here blows up.
I think it is an honour to participate in the WCC.

Yes, it is perhaps not an ideal preparation for the NRL season but I think we have to be better than that.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I see it as another step on the ladder. A chance to overcome some pretty big obstacles.

I think the players will see it like that too. One last ride with Romey. May stepping up to centre, to partner his mate Tago.

Tito on one wing, Bizza on the other win, Lindsay Smith off the bench. 14 still undecided but leaning towards Luke Sommerton.....

Could do well.

Another mountain to climb.

3 years ago we lost Burton and Capewell

2 years ago, Api, Kiks

1 year ago Lenui, Critta

Now Romey

Notice something, each and every time the built from within mantra worked. No reason to think that doesn't happen again. Especially with cup being enhanced with some new blood.

TroyJax

Juniors

Boo hoo.
Proper NRL champions have managed just fine.

blue bags

First Grade
Dragons went to Wigan and won
2011 did it the hard way
I can see the Panthers doing the same
Stay focused. Team spirit
Panthers way