What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Squad List

The halves are the most important positions though. You need class there. Last four grand final teams' halves pairings: Luai/Cleary x4, Munster/Hughes, Walker/Reynolds, Brown/Moses, Mam/Reynolds. Flano just isn't in that calibre. He's going well, I like Kyle don't get me wrong, but I want to see us go to another level. In terms of game management, I certainly wouldn't call him great. Kicking is an important aspect of game management. Even with Marchske in the team, Kyle didn't do much kicking. Anyway, lets enjoy the win and focus on a challenge against Manly next week. Very important game for us
Very true but you do quote pairings - How good was Walker without Reynolds?

With the right partner, Kyle is a brilliant half. Hunt seems to be starting to understand that, but not enough. Without Kyle, does Hunt dominate like he did last night? Would he still have performed so well with Amone or M'bye?

SOO - Hunt allowed DCE to game manage the critical moments but starred running off DCE

100% agree with 'Lets enjoy the win and focus on a challenge against Manly next week. Very important game for us'

On that point we both are on the same page. Then we can both judge and anticipate the Dragon half combination/s evolution.

Go the DRAGONS

P.S. I didn't realise that I originally replied to a post of yours from May 24 - Thought it was after last night - That's why I came on a bit strong - Sorry!

Kolum Kid

Juniors
The halves are the most important positions though. You need class there. Last four grand final teams' halves pairings: Luai/Cleary x4, Munster/Hughes, Walker/Reynolds, Brown/Moses, Mam/Reynolds. Flano just isn't in that calibre. He's going well, I like Kyle don't get me wrong, but I want to see us go to another level. In terms of game management, I certainly wouldn't call him great. Kicking is an important aspect of game management. Even with Marchske in the team, Kyle didn't do much kicking. Anyway, lets enjoy the win and focus on a challenge against Manly next week. Very important game for us
Whilst great halves help, 2010 is a fine example of a champion team being better than a team of champions. Benny and Sowy were consistent, reliable halves capable of executing a game plan nearly every game without being extraordinary. marquee players are great but some have trouble producing consistently week after week.

Lennyb

Juniors
Unsure where to put this. But this is near the top.

Jackson Ford with the 10 on his back tonight. Had a pretty very good game.

Didnt spend the whole match there. But didnt come off and held his own.

Webster, pulling a trick shot. With one of ours.

So far we know Lomax and Tamale are gone for next year, and unofficially at least, De Belin will also be elsewhere in 2025.
I would be happy if we announced just one new signing who is an experienced first grade player from another club prior to 30 June with at minimum another 5 years of quality football in front of him.
The war chest desperately needs to start being spent.

steerlerbab

Juniors
Our first aim should be retention.

Jack de Belin (1 year - going well - seems to have 1 more year in him),
Tom Eisenhuth (1 year - a very good worker),
Mathew Feagai (2 years - has not put foot wrong last 2 games - when he first came thru 2022 I thought he will own one wing spot - not sure what went wrong last year under Hook),
Max Feagai (2 years - has gone well replacing Jack Bird - he can only improve),
Jesse Marschke (2 years - against Penrith he showed he has potential) ,
Alec Tuitavake (2 years - still young 0 nayve in a year or two can graduate to FG)

BMM (Maybe - no longer has big minutes - But still manages big runs for the limited time he gets)

As I have said before, with our war chest we need to sign replacements for

Hunt (There are rumours that he is negotiating beyond 2025 but he may well decide to retire end of 2025 - maybe Talagi - Not sure how negotiations are proceeding)

Lawrie (Not sure what is his salary but I think time for us to shop him around - we desperately need a Marquee front rower)

Bird (Flanno recently mentioned his best years are in front of him, but I think his best years are past him. It will be interesting how many games he has missed due to injury in the last 2 years)

Dragon David

First Grade
We need a guy like Royce Hunt from the Sharks. I know that he is signed to the end of 2025 but under Flanno, he could be a beast for us.

We need a guy like Royce Hunt from the Sharks. I know that he is signed to the end of 2025 but under Flanno, he could be a beast for us.
said it last week and got shot down "because no way do we need royce hunt anywhere near this club".

He murdered the broncos. exactly what we need and seeing how they get AFB it seems only fair!

hewi

Bench
From the SMH . I can see why the club only wants to offer 1 year I can also understand why he wants more, a real dilemma.

Jack Rabbit: Souths join the race to sign de Belin​

By Adrian Proszenko and Adam Pengilly

June 9, 2024 — 5.00am

South Sydney have emerged as a potential destination for off-contract St George Illawarra forward Jack de Belin.
The Dragons have offered de Belin, whose deal runs out at the end of the season, a one-year extension. The 33-year-old’s preference is to finish his career as a one-club player, but he is open to longer, more lucrative offers elsewhere.
https://archive.md/2ueW4/again?url=...e-race-to-sign-de-belin-20240608-p5jka6.html#

https://archive.md/2ueW4/again?url=...e-race-to-sign-de-belin-20240608-p5jka6.html#
One could come from the Rabbitohs, who have a genuine interest in adding de Belin to their pack next season. Incoming coach Wayne Bennett handed de Belin his NRL debut in 2011 and the parties are open to the prospect of a reunion.
Dragons coach Shane Flanagan has a history of offering senior players one-year deals, as he did with ageing stars Paul Gallen and Luke Lewis at Cronulla. It’s unlikely that stance will change with de Belin, despite the back-rower this season producing his best form since returning from a long-term stand-down.

The Rabbitohs are keen on de Belin, but would need to offload players to free up the required salary cap space. Injured playmaker Lachlan Ilias, deemed surplus to requirements following the signing of St Helens halfback Lewis Dodd, has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs. Several teammates will be given the right to do likewise as the club attempts to refresh its roster before Bennett’s arrival.
The Pride of the League has identified a need to bolster its pack, and de Belin may not be the only new arrival. Bennett also has a strong bond with Tevita Pangai jnr, and this week offered him a lifeline with the Dolphins for the remainder of the season.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I wonder how we are positioning the $300,000 veteran/developed player allowance. A veteran is valued at 10 percent of salary cap value after nine years at one club and 5 percent after 10 years.

Some major questions to be answered

How does Luc, RFM and Sua start in the same pack?
Does one of them become a lock?
Flano has been on record re Sele a long term prop for the club not a lock.
If Jack Williams from the Sharks is still available (uncontracted 2025) is he our best lock for 2025? He speeds up our middle and is just a good defender if not better than TomE. Jack Williams is 27yrs old. TomE turns 32yrs old next month.

If we sign another key prop that has 5 years or so to go in their career...........that is a big IF.........would that serve us better than committing two years to JDB who will b 35yrs old in his 2nd year of the contract?

I suspect JDB wants $500-$600k pa?

Sele and Molo are our starting props anyway as Flano see's it so far.......unless we can land in 2025 that genuine spearhead prop that gets the 12m plus hitup to get a roll on.

Wouldnt Toby Couchmen be achieving similar stats off the bench anyway in 2025 season that JDB has ?

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
The halves are the most important positions though. You need class there. Last four grand final teams' halves pairings: Luai/Cleary x4, Munster/Hughes, Walker/Reynolds, Brown/Moses, Mam/Reynolds. Flano just isn't in that calibre.
Things like this are very deceiving on first glance. I mentioned in another recent post that we won in 2010 with a decidedly average halfback - Hornby. Kyle is more or less the same kind of player - hard working, reliable, organisational.
You don't necessarily need 2 class players in the halves. Just one good one and a reliable sidekick will suffice with the right forward pack and the right coach.

Dragon David

First Grade
While it is obvious that great team work can result in more wins, I am really hoping that to augment this, we get a couple of big boppers to help us DOMINATE. They, as well as a couple of fast backs are an important ingredient for our drive forward. Desperate Dragon said he
"heard Flanagan on 2GB a few days ago and he was asked the question about recruitment for next year.Played his cards fairly close to his chest, but said we will sign 3 to 4 new players for 2025.".

To seal the deals of those "3 to 4 new players" we need an expert negotiator/recruiter as soon as possible.

Dragon David

First Grade
That article loses all of its credibility when it describes Souffs as "the pride of the league".
Yes, what stupidity - "the pride of the league", I cannot stop laughing and getting hot under the collar at the same time. So much prejudice it is not funny. How do all of the other clubs feel with this bloody comment? One of them, Pengilly, is a Dragons supporter, is he not?

since77

Juniors
I am really hoping that to augment this, we get a couple of big boppers to help us DOMINATE. They, as well as a couple of fast backs are an important ingredient for our drive forward.

We now have a really strong back row. That was unthinkable 12 months ago.
But yeah next mission is some big nasty front rowers.
Then Willie Mason can come ask us where our forwards are......

maestro1

Bench
Yes, what stupidity - "the pride of the league", I cannot stop laughing and getting hot under the collar at the same time. So much prejudice it is not funny. How do all of the other clubs feel with this bloody comment? One of them, Pengilly, is a Dragons supporter, is he not?
The "Pride of the League" is a very old moniker that has been used to describe Souths for generations. A bit like "Greatest Game if All" for Rugby League or "The Running Game" for Union or the "Beautiful Game" for Football. Just a nickname.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade

I think he brings a skill set and intensity that is needed for our pack

It doesnt appear we have that speed in our pack in attack and defence and he is probably at the peak of his NRL ability and 27yrs old.

$400-500k pa ?

A weapon off the bench.