What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Hour NRL channel

nrlnrl

First Grade
what
On Kent’s argument of positive stories v negative stories in telecrap, difference is positive stories are in back of appear where only sports fans read it (20% of population) negative stories are on front page where everyone reads them. This creates a perception in the wider public that our game is a joke played by idiots. When was the last time a positive news story about an nrl player made the front page?
What sort of positive story would make the front page? Not even other sports have many of those. There might be a picture of someone with a pointer to a story, but it's normally only something like the day of or day before a State of Origin or a Grand Final when they're on the front page. These days, other than that it'd be Winx on raceday, rare occasions like Olympics or World Cups, Ashes, major winners in tennis or golf, World Champs in athletics - not much else really.

Perth Red

Post Whore
what

What sort of positive story would make the front page? Not even other sports have many of those. There might be a picture of someone with a pointer to a story, but it's normally only something like the day of or day before a State of Origin or a Grand Final when they're on the front page. These days, other than that it'd be Winx on raceday, rare occasions like Olympics or World Cups, Ashes, major winners in tennis or golf, World Champs in athletics - not much else really.

And yet they’ll splash an insignificant event like bulldogs mad Monday over the front page for days on end. Maybe Dugan raising $14k and suppprting a dying boy would be worthy of a front page? But no, a player doing a nudie dance in private is apparently bigger news

Perth Red

Post Whore
Beattie waffled buzzwords and Kent failed to lay a glove on him.

Problem with most rl journos and panel hosts is they don’t know how to interview. They ask a question, get a non descriptive answer and move on without probing the answer, contradicting it with facts or asking for more detail. It makes pretty much every interview with the games powerbrokers insipid.

Reactions: Vee

no name

Coach
Spud Carroll reckons Tohu Harris should get Dally M second rower of the year.
He was great in Origin and threw a great inside ball to Slater last week which led to a try.

The Marshall

Juniors
Anti-social media
There have been plenty of negative headlines for NRL players in recent weeks and it seems that poor behaviour on the drink isn’t limited to the players.

Fox Sports chief league reporter James Hooper will appear in Downing Centre court on October 4 on charges related to destroying and damaging property. It was the result of big night gone wrong.

He is accused of damaging a car and was found in a bad way on the car bonnet by the owner. He was not arrested at the time and taken by ambulance to hospital. He was later served with a court attendance notice.

Those who have talked to Hooper say that he has no recollection of the matter and he knows he has done the wrong thing. He is doing something about it. He told his employers about the incident.

I have been made aware of the incident and the charges by a host of players, who clearly think there is a double standard in these matters – that the media are quick to rip into players, but they protect their own. Since the incident, Hooper has sensibly stayed out of the firing line when it comes to matters involving bad player behaviour.

He has kept his strong opinions to football and has not been judging players’ private lives.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/to...der-with-knot-in-stomach-20180929-p506vk.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
So the regular season of the NRLchannel is done. Highs and lows?

Highs:
1. Mick Ennis - He's really developed well over the year and a good balance of funny but knowledgeable.
2. Andrew Voss - The man is literally a god among peasants when it comes to commentating
3. Warren Smith - remains a solid caller without the stupidity of many others
4. League Life - great show offering something that little bit different
5. Every game live meaning no more need to watch dogs breakfastCh9 sht!
6. SL, Europe championship, NRLW, NRL, Australian second tier - a veritable smorgasbord of RL on offer

Low's:
1. Finch - Tool who embarrasses himself and the game whenever hes on screen
2. NRL360 - There's only so many News Ltd journos any person can take and thisis wayyyy too many!
3. Blocker Roach - Mr predicatble, talks about forwards ALL the time and shouts at every opportunity
4. Game replays, why cut them down to 60mins? You've got 24hours to fill no need to make the replay shorter!
5. Lack of a good RL show that covers internationals, grass roots and other comps.
6. No SOO or GF meaning no choice but to watch dogs breakfastCh9 sht!

All in all a successful year, if only for point 5!

parrawentyfan

Juniors
So the regular season of the NRLchannel is done. Highs and lows?

Highs:
1. Mick Ennis - He's really developed well over the year and a good balance of funny but knowledgeable.
2. Andrew Voss - The man is literally a god among peasants when it comes to commentating
3. Warren Smith - remains a solid caller without the stupidity of many others
4. League Life - great show offering something that little bit different
5. Every game live meaning no more need to watch dogs breakfastCh9 sht!
6. SL, Europe championship, NRLW, NRL, Australian second tier - a veritable smorgasbord of RL on offer

Low's:
1. Finch - Tool who embarrasses himself and the game whenever hes on screen
2. NRL360 - There's only so many News Ltd journos any person can take and thisis wayyyy too many!
3. Blocker Roach - Mr predicatble, talks about forwards ALL the time and shouts at every opportunity
4. Game replays, why cut them down to 60mins? You've got 24hours to fill no need to make the replay shorter!
5. Lack of a good RL show that covers internationals, grass roots and other comps.
6. No SOO or GF meaning no choice but to watch dogs breakfastCh9 sht!

All in all a successful year, if only for point 5!

I don't really like all the RL talk shows (360, Matty Johns etc) but don't mind the Professor and League Life but there is no need for constant replays when most people have IQ or On Demand. Save the replays and down time for actual games or something original. There is nothing more frustrating seeing NRL360 on at 5:30, 7:30, 9:30 and 11:30.

A weekly show on the international game would be great - would be amazing if they could arrange a weekly cross to Steve Mascord to fill us in on what's happening in Europe.

All clubs have so many documentaries they could run. Eg the Eels have a four part series called the Mighty Eels. I'm sure other clubs have similar. They could play these documentaries and it wouldn't cost anything in production costs.

Reactions: Vee

El Diablo

Post Whore
View attachment 24139
Looks like Kent and Ikin stepped on some toes if I remember correctly they ripped into the NRLs defence council saying how inexperienced he was and I think it could be him.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/15/nrl-statement-re-judiciary/

NRL statement re judiciary

The NRL today issued a statement in response to Fox League's apology.

A spokesman said criticism of the NRL's independent judiciary process and of its Judiciary Counsel, Anthony Lo Surdo SC, on the NRL 360 program was unfair and unwarranted.

Unwarranted criticism of the Judiciary undermines the integrity of the process and those who appear before it. The role of the Judiciary Counsel is to act independently, impartially and fairly without fear or favour, affection or ill-will. We will continue to engage the best legal minds in the Country to ensure the integrity and independence of the Judiciary process.

Mr Lo Surdo is a Senior Counsel at the NSW Bar. He enjoys an exemplary reputation across the country as a commercial silk and as an advanced mediator and independent arbitrator.

He is experienced appearing before the NRL Judiciary and has worked in sports arbitration at the highest levels, including internationally as an Arbitrator of the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"Mr Lo Surdo is a highly qualified and skilled legal representative in sports law who was ideally suited for the NRL judiciary process," the spokesman said.

Stallion

First Grade
Fox 500 has shown the results of a conspicuous rugby union competition that draws little interest for well over a month.This continual result screening is shown alongside NFL results and the like at the bottom of the screen. (think it may have stopped last week?)At no stage has any lower level rugby league results like the Emerging nations results ever aired on this medium. Given that these nations played on Australian soil with just as much interest, I note a bias toward union as opposed to league on this general sports channel. In addition, I note that the XV logo is strategically placed behind a commentator during interviews on this channel. Just some subtle ways FOX is no doubt pleasing it's rugby union friends .

King hit

Coach
Fox 500 has shown the results of a conspicuous rugby union competition that draws little interest for well over a month.This continual result screening is shown alongside NFL results and the like at the bottom of the screen. (think it may have stopped last week?)At no stage has any lower level rugby league results like the Emerging nations results ever aired on this medium. Given that these nations played on Australian soil with just as much interest, I note a bias toward union as opposed to league on this general sports channel. In addition, I note that the XV logo is strategically placed behind a commentator during interviews on this channel. Just some subtle ways FOX is no doubt pleasing it's rugby union friends .

I now know the school year is over with you posting again

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/2e4d33ab448c3ac5fdfb0caf88bc4953

Television kingpin Matthew Johns signs new five-year deal with Fox Sports

Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

Matty Johns has agreed to a new five-year contract at Fox Sports in an extended role that could include a Reg Reagan comeback on a podcast.

Johns and his manager John Singleton did the deal with Fox Sports’ Head of Television Steve Crawley last week.

He has quit Triple M’s Grill Team to spend more time on his show and other opportunities at News Corp. “I had absolutely no interest in going anywhere else,” Johns said.

“I said to Singo, ‘let’s just go to Fox Sports and get it done’.

“Anyway, we went and sat down with Steve Crawley to work it out.

“Singo said to him, ‘I’m the worst manager in the world because I’m telling you he doesn’t want to go anywhere else. So what are you going to pay us?’

“I love it there. They’ve been great to me and I was never going anywhere.”

The deal is said to be worth about $5 million, making Johns the network’s highest-paid personality.

Johns’ show broke ratings records this year and even forced Channel 9 to shut down the Footy Show after 24 years.

The Reg Reagan comeback has been discussed at planning meetings for next year. Reg was based on Johns’ father Gary, who was a player and coach at the Cessnock Goannas, and larrikin forward Terry Reagan.

His “Bring Back the Biff” call is still part of the game’s vocabulary.

Johns’ State of Origin previews in The Daily Telegraph are hugely popular with the fans.

“I don’t know how Reg would go in this politically correct environment,” Johns said.

“We’re thinking about it. I’m not sure how the modern world would take to Reg. We’ll decide in the new year.”

Latest posts