What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

Brian potter

First Grade
I don't think I've seen anyone wearing their merchandise in Logan.

Most of their support is likely to be based in Moreton Bay. Especially around Redcliffe.

We definitely need a team in southern Brisbane for people who don't like the Broncos. I've seen @Santino Pantane and @mongoose claim Broncos represent every region of Brisbane and argue there's no need for a team based south of the river.

Ironically, neither of them support the Broncos. One supports Canberra. The other supports Gold Coast. Both of those clubs are from other markets and don't represent RL fans in Brisbane.

If they aren't willing to support the Broncos then what gives them the right to tell other RL fans in Brisbane to do so?

I grew up in Upper Mt Gravatt and moved to Rochedale South over 20 years ago. Whatever connection the Broncos had to southern Brisbane died when they relocated back to Lang Park in 2003. I remember people from the northern suburbs whinging about having to travel to QEII Stadium to watch the Broncos between 1993 and 2003. The two sides of Brisbane have their own identity and don't like each other.
What are the 2 sides of Brisbane mate?

the Brisbane river?

I see a fair bit of Dolphins gear on the southside of Brisbane. I'm a Phins member and I've never lives on the northside of Brisbane, let alone Redcliffe and was never a Redcliffe Dolphins fan in the Q Cup. They are a huge brand in SEQ though.

As for the mix of where there fans and members come from, the Dolphins would know, but we may never find out
I'm a Dolphins member, too. Back in the 1990s and early 2000s I supported the Dolphins in the Queensland Cup. I knew they were a future NRL team.

I don't think I've seen anyone wearing their merchandise around Springwood, Rochedale South and Loganholme. Nor have I seen anyone in Redlands wearing their apparel. Hopefully that changes as time goes on.

The Great Dane

First Grade
With the right backing an Adelaide/SA side could launch tomorrow and be amongst the more sustainable clubs in the league within 20 or so years.

With the way the industry works these days a club in a market of 1.8mil could do the absolute bare minimum to develop a few solid income streams and then coast by on grants and major sponsors alone if they really had to, and would still relatively quickly build a solid rusted on audience within a generation or so (a short period by sports industry standards) with the exposure the product has and marketing budgets that're thrown around these days.

That sort of top down investment is a necessity if the NRL and sport more generally is ever going to see significant growth in the South Australian market as well, but the same is true of Perth/WA, NZ, Melbourne/Victoria, and any other major expansion project you can think of in any sport.

Sure it go could wrong with poor management, but that's true of even the safest bets in business. At the end of the day it's really about making sure you have the right people in place to make it a success as incompetence can undermine anything, but, again, that isn't a problem unique to Adelaide and the NRL shouldn't pull the trigger on any expansion project in any market if they can't find the right backing and people to operate it.

If we're looking at it objectively and truly being honest with ourselves does anybody genuinely believe that (e.g.) the Bears are the right people to make a Perth/WA side a success?

Brian potter

First Grade
Hahahaha I’ve sat in pubs there empty of humans, asked to put the league on and been knocked back. They are a weird mob. Perth is a completely different experience. Very open minded. Adelaide is the worst city I’ve visited. I don’t even pretend to be objective. Even Hobart is more league friendly.
I thought you didn’t drink?

im sure if someone else had asked to put league on they would have said yes.

flippikat

First Grade
Roosters have until recently had an annual Adelaide match that was reasonably well attended
That's part of the problem - with it being left to the whims of clubs, games there can't be a reliable part of the calendar.. and can just disappear from the schedule when a club loses interest - plus there's no goal to work towards an eventual team.

flippikat

First Grade
Surely Brisbane tigers before Adelaide too ?

what about fiji?
Brisbane (Easts) Tigers probably would have a hand in team #20.

Fair point on Fiji, and I'd say that if anywhere in the Pacific Islands/PNG stand a hope of having their own NRL team then Fiji is probably the best chance. Whether that's a better prospect for team 22 than Adelaide- it's probably best assessed closer to that expansion stage.

Wb1234

Immortal
Brisbane (Easts) Tigers probably would have a hand in team #20.

Fair point on Fiji, and I'd say that if anywhere in the Pacific Islands/PNG stand a hope of having their own NRL team then Fiji is probably the best chance. Whether that's a better prospect for team 22 than Adelaide- it's probably best assessed closer to that expansion stage.
Throw in png and I pretty much agree Adelaide is around team 23 imo or 24

and that would be it for the nrl imo