What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Just my opinion but I wouldn’t go anywhere near Adelaide. I haven’t heard a thing from the SA government about wanting an NRL team, nor anything from the corporate sector there. State of Origin hasn’t sold out there in the past. It’s a hard pass for me. I’d go Darwin before Adelaide.
I'd go Tennant Creek before Adelaide

Canard

Immortal
Just my opinion but I wouldn’t go anywhere near Adelaide. I haven’t heard a thing from the SA government about wanting an NRL team, nor anything from the corporate sector there. State of Origin hasn’t sold out there in the past. It’s a hard pass for me. I’d go Darwin before Adelaide.
Darwin/NT is just far, far too small and just not viable.

Adelaide is our only viable option interstate besides Perth.

Pippen94

First Grade
I suspect that they'll announce that they've given PNG a provisional license with an eye to them entering the league some time around 2030 and that the 18th team will be the "Perth" Bears/Jets (almost certainly Bears) to enter in either 2026 or 2027. I also expect them to refrain from announcing the 20th team until a later date, but may or may not choose to announce that NZ is the preferred market.

What should happen is Perth should be given a license to enter in 26/27 independent of any other entity, then the NRL should sit and let them and the Dolphins settle in for at least a couple years before reviewing expansion. If things are going well expand to both NZ and Adelaide, keeping Brisbane in the pocket if either fall through.

Is this inside mail like Firehawks getting 17th spot?!

Just to clarify but I don’t actually consider Darwin a viable option. I just used it (like Tennant Creek by AG) to make a point about how unviable Adelaide is. Just my opinion.

Vlad59

Bench
Just to clarify but I don’t actually consider Darwin a viable option. I just used it (like Tennant Creek by AG) to make a point about how unviable Adelaide is. Just my opinion.
Adelaide is at least a decade off. Nothing to build off there.

flippikat

First Grade

I understand a problem with Adeialde is venues - that that in-goal areas at Coopers Stadium are too small & the Adelaide Oval is too vast.

Mind you, they surely won't invest in a fit-for purpose RL/RU venue until they get games, right? So maybe the NRL just need to suck it up & take regular games there, guage interest and maybe provide a basis for arguing for a better venue.

Wb1234

Immortal
I understand a problem with Adeialde is venues - that that in-goal areas at Coopers Stadium are too small & the Adelaide Oval is too vast.

Mind you, they surely won't invest in a fit-for purpose RL/RU venue until they get games, right? So maybe the NRL just need to suck it up & take regular games there, guage interest and maybe provide a basis for arguing for a better venue.
Adelaide should jv with the sharks

two to four games in Cronulla rest in Adelaide

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
At the moment, putting a team in Adelaide would be like the AFL plonking team in Newcastle. Adelaide has *900000 less people than Perth and is even more AFL centric. The Croweaters are a long term prospect and little more

Canard

Immortal
At the moment, putting a team in Adelaide would be like the AFL plonking team in Newcastle. Adelaide has *900000 less people than Perth and is even more AFL centric. The Croweaters are a long term prospect and little more
Im not saying Adelaide is a "now" option.

Im saying its way ahead of Darwin as an option (and always will be).

Adelaide is a long term horizon

flippikat

First Grade
Im not saying Adelaide is a "now" option.

Im saying its way ahead of Darwin as an option (and always will be).

Adelaide is a long term horizon
Exactly. Whenever Adelaide is mentioned, the standard knee-jerk reaction is "Why? They're terribly AFL-centric, it's crazy talk".

But here's the rub - there may be a latent market for rugby league there, heck there probably is.. but until/unless we take regular games there we don't have any guage on what that market is - let alone much hope of growing that market, let alone having a team there.

So let's start with that - a reliable game or two in Adelaide each year & see where that goes.

Perth is definitely a better candidate for an NRL club. Once a Perth-based team is introduced we should give it 15 years to cement its place in the market before looking at Adelaide. If we go into Perth then we need to make it work.

The idiot thinks the dolphins might tank but Perth won’t

delusional
That's why I point out the flaws of Perth. He's dumb enough to think Perth is a stronger rugby league market than Brisbane. His cognitive dissonance on this subject is bizarre and indicative of a deep insecurity and immaturity festering away inside of his brain. He ridicules everything about the Broncos and Dolphins, despite both clubs being bigger than anything Perth can hope to put together. Deep down I feel he is bitter about Brisbane because he views it as a barrier to Perth getting a team.

Wb1234

Immortal
That's why I point out the flaws of Perth. He's dumb enough to think Perth is a stronger rugby league market than Brisbane. His cognitive dissonance on this subject is bizarre and indicative of a deep insecurity and immaturity festering away inside of his brain. He ridicules everything about the Broncos and Dolphins, despite both clubs being bigger than anything Perth can hope to put together. Deep down I feel he is bitter about Brisbane because he views it as a barrier to Perth getting a team.
Dolphins have had the best start out of any club ever

even the broncos took a while to get used to the arl

I can see them becoming a true Brisbane 2 averaging 40k

Dolphins have had the best start out of any club ever

even the broncos took a while to get used to the arl

I can see them becoming a true Brisbane 2 averaging 40k

They didn’t need any concessions from the ARLC and News Ltd to be successful, either.

The sooner they stop playing games at Dolphin Oval the better. A preseason game and NRLW games is all that should be played at that ground.

Brian potter

First Grade
They didn’t need any concessions from the ARLC and News Ltd to be successful, either.

The sooner they stop playing games at Dolphin Oval the better. A preseason game and NRLW games is all that should be played at that ground.
Do the dolphins have much support within the city of Brisbane or do most Of their fans travel down from the redcliffe and moreton bay area?

Wb1234

Immortal
Do the dolphins have much support within the city of Brisbane or do most Of their fans travel down from the redcliffe and moreton bay area?
Redcliffe peninsula has around 80k people

its a mix of existing dolphins fans and people from brisbane who hate the broncos