What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

I just don't know. There will be some support, but how natural a fit, how emotionally connected Perth people will feel for The Bears depends on how well the Bears read the West Australian room. How Sydney based NRL media and the likes of V'Landys craft the narrative.
It's very early days, but I have not at all been encouraged.

Perth will certainly not adopt a team for two cities, to paraphrase Billy Moore.

The Sydney "home game" IS a big deal. If it's a regular season home game, then it's sending the complete wrong message to the Perth public.
West Aussies need to be assured that the license is legally locked to Perth in the case of the joint venture breaking down.

With the right attitude and a complete embrace of Perth, I believe Perth will reciprocate the commitment.
The Sydney media and ARLC has treated the Perth RL community like an afterthought throughout this fiasco. Every news article from the Sydney press and comment from V'landys has been aimed at appeasing wilfully ignorant NSWRL fans who think the game doesn't exist outside of NSW.

Bears have made it all about themselves with their "non-negotiables".

It's terrible optics for the development of the game in Perth and will come back to haunt the ARLC. For it to work there needs to be no home games played in Sydney. Not even a trial match.

I fear this is a plan by the ARLC to get North Sydney back into the NRL via the back door. It'll be in North Sydney's interest to invest the bare minimum in this club to stifle its growth. A team thst struggled on the field will generate poor attendances and ratings in Perth, leading to calls from the Sydney media to move the club back to Sydney.

WA Gov needs to make it known that if any of the club's home games are played in Sydney then there will be no money spent on upgrading PRS.

MugaB

Coach
The Sydney media and ARLC has treated the Perth RL community like an afterthought throughout this fiasco. Every news article from the Sydney press and comment from V'landys has been aimed at appeasing wilfully ignorant NSWRL fans who think the game doesn't exist outside of NSW.

It's terrible optics for the development of the game in Perth and will come back to haunt the ARLC. For it to work there needs to be no home games played in Sydney. Not even a trial match.

I fear this is a plan by the ARLC to get North Sydney back into the NRL via the back door. It'll be in North Sydney's interest to invest the bare minimum in this club to stifle its growth. A team thst struggled on the field will generate poor attendances and ratings in Perth, leading to calls from the Sydney media to move the club back to Sydney.

WA Gov needs to make it known that if any of the club's home games are played in Sydney then there will be no money spent on upgrading PRS.
Potato theory's again

74481-93998843d46dbd53b316facf69a5c621.jpg

MugaB

Coach
How is my post about Perth and the Bears a "bias anti Logan theory[sic]"?
Every comment you make is in sole service to getting a closest to Logan based team up and running... Put shit on perth coz they are at arms reach of a licence, put shit on png as they are at arms reach of licence, when the 3 Christchurch bids start ramping up, you'll throw shade on that too, just coz you have it in your small insignificant brain, that there's only enough room for 20 licences, when the NRL can push past that to 24 even... easts tigers aren't getting a licence anytime soon...especially as the TIGers, better off your efforts and local earnings, pumping money into souths Logan magpies, and getting them flush into the NRL while Mal Meninga is alive well and can coach/represent.... I don't see any problem with that bid? A truly south Brisbane team who did actually merge with your favourite team scorps, add an extra color... (a trim of yellow perhaps to show that) easts tigers could own it even bankroll it, massive joint bid, branded as the Magpies, play at suncorp... win/win/win, better than all this crap about Western corridor needs a team to fight AFL garbage, and no stadium out there anyways, Springfield is as bad as redcliffe, and magpies could use that new langlands park to train..
A truly good use of Brisbane facilities and heritage to service your fantasy of a Brisbane3 club, think of all the local products from that area, Cam Smith, Josh Papali"i, the iconic magpies jersey will probably ignite old wests fans in Sydney (even if it's not the same old nswrl team) don't matter

Last edited:

Steel Saints

Juniors

I'm not a fan of playing games at NSO. However if it's just one game, and Perth get eleven, it will be the same amount home games the Western Reds had back in '95.

Every comment you make is in sole service to getting a closest to Logan based team up and running... Put shit on perth coz they are at arms reach of a licence, put shit on png as they are at arms reach of licence, when the 3 Christchurch bids start ramping up, you'll throw shade on that too, just coz you have it in your small insignificant brain, that there's only enough room for 20 licences, when the NRL can push past that to 24 even... easts tigers aren't getting a licence anytime soon...especially as the TIGers, better off your efforts and local earnings, pumping money into souths Logan magpies, and getting them flush into the NRL while Mal Meninga is alive well and can coach/represent.... I don't see any problem with that bid? A truly south Brisbane team who did actually merge with your favourite team scorps, add an extra color... (a trim of yellow perhaps to show that) easts tigers could own it even bankroll it, massive joint bid, branded as the Magpies, play at suncorp... win/win/win, better than all this crap about Western corridor needs a team to fight AFL garbage, and no stadium out there anyways, Springfield is as bad as redcliffe, and magpies could use that new langlands park to train..
A truly good use of Brisbane facilities and heritage to service your fantasy of a Brisbane3 club, think of all the local products from that area, Cam Smith, Josh Papali"i, the iconic magpies jersey will probably ignite old wests fans in Sydney (even if it's not the same old nswrl team) don't matter
So much stupidity in your post.

Where do I begin?

The Logan Scorpions never merged with the Southern Suburbs Magpies. The Logan City Council ordered the Scorpions to cease operations and vacate Meakin Park at the end of their 15 year lease in 2002. The senior side of the club folded. The junior side continued for another season before it was wound up.

Southern Suburbs added "Logan" to their name, but they are still the same club.

If you don't believe any of this then phone up the Magpies Leagues Club and ask them yourself.

The Magpies do wear blue and gold in their kit when they play at Logan Metro.

Magpies are one of the poorest clubs in Brisbane. They came close to folding around a decade and a half ago. Needed to be bailed out by Raiders at one stage.

Brisbane Tigers are one of the richest clubs in Australia. They're richer than most Sydney NRL clubs. To say they'll never get a licence is so pigheaded stupid it isn't funny.

As for the crap about Perth, PNG and Christchurch.

PNG is a really f**king stupid idea. Hence the reason it was dreamt up by f**kwits from NSW Labor in 2018. No amount of federal aid will make it a viable option. No one will want to live in Port Moresby. The developmental system in PNG is decades away from being able to churn out a high amount of NRL-quality players. The amount of Papuans who have enough disposable income to actively support a Port Moresby-basrd NRL team would be a few thousand at most. Possibly less than a thousand.

Most people in PNG will be lucky to see an NRL game on TV. All games are exclusively broadcast by Digicel via their streaming servicd. The monthly cost of a subscription is almost $80.

Perth needs to find $30m to fund a team. It also needs a stadium upgrade and a high performance training centre. The Bears don't have that sort of cash lying around.

Do any of the Christchurch bids have the resources to fund a team?

One of them was begging for money on Facebook!

There's only one bid in the country with the resources to field a team. Brisbane Tigers.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach

Where do I begin?

The Logan Scorpions never merged with the Southern Suburbs Magpies. The Logan City Council ordered the Scorpions to cease operations and vacate Meakin Park at the end of their 15 year lease in 2002. The senior side of the club folded. The junior side continued for another season before it was wound up.

If you don't believe any of this then phone up the Magpies Leagues Club and ask them yourself.

Magpies are one of the poorest clubs in Brisbane. They came close to folding around a decade and a half ago. Needed to be bailed out by Raiders at one stage.

Brisbane Tigers are one of the richest clubs in Australia. They're richer than most Sydney NRL clubs. To say they'll never get a licence is so pigheaded stupid it isn't funny.
As the TIGers, is what I said, best they merge a super bid with souths magpies for the branding only, if they want in without issue, and properly service south Brisbane, not this we are rich, and we can represent Western corridor for you BS,your on the east side of the city FFS... ad the AFL threats, please it's all garbage

As the TIGers, is what I said, best they merge a super bid with souths magpies for the branding only, if they want in without issue, and properly service south Brisbane, not this we are rich, and we can represent Western corridor for you BS,your on the east side of the city FFS... ad the AFL threats, please it's all garbage
Stop talking shit and come back to reality.

Why would the Brisbane Tigers need the Magpies' branding?

They've registered the trademarks "Brisbane Firehawks" and "Brisbane Tigers" until 2030.

The "Brisbane Jets" trademark does not exist. Neither does "Brisbane Magpies". Neither does "Brisbane Bombers". Neither does "South Island Kea", FWIW.

The only trademarks that exist right now are "Brisbane Firehawks", "Brisbane Tigers", "Western Reds" and "West Coast Pirates". There's no trademark registered for the "Perth Bears", "West Coast Bears", "Western Bears", "PNG Pride" or "Melbourne Bears".

MugaB

Coach
Stop talking shit and come back to reality.

Why would the Brisbane Tigers need the Magpies' branding?

They've registered the trademarks "Brisbane Firehawks" and "Brisbane Tigers" until 2030.

The "Brisbane Jets" trademark does not exist. Neither does "Brisbane Magpies". Neither does "Brisbane Bombers". Neither does "South Island Kea", FWIW.

The only trademarks that exist right now are "Brisbane Firehawks", "Brisbane Tigers", "Western Reds" and "West Coast Pirates". There's no trademark registered for the "Perth Bears", "West Coast Bears", "Western Bears", "PNG Pride" or "Melbourne Bears".
I'm saying they want in, they can't be tigers ever! or firehawks (purely coz it was a fairly dumb idea)
The better idea is to merge with souths Logan magpies, and be that brand instead, 2 heritage clubs, iconic branding.... south Brisbane based
What easts are lacking isn't funds or pathways, it's a role. They aren't nessesary... you talk about where is south Brisbane's team, well they are literally call Eastern suburbs Brisbane, not to mention Wynnum is next to them too, in nrl terms thats roosters and sharks, whilst Brisbane is saying where's our bulldogs or eels? (Sydney's south/west equivalent)
I'm not trying to convince you to change you mind donks, just trying to show you how these arlc people would look at the branding potential of a new club..
If it's in Brisbane, where? Obviously not city or east, or not north now with the dolphins, preferbly playing all games at suncorp, so cant be ipswich, too far, not Tigers or panthers we have both of those, we used to have Magpies, and south Brisbane is growing, bingo! its their link to the start of the Western corridor, anyways good luck with Logan

I'm saying they want in, they can't be tigers ever! or firehawks (purely coz it was a fairly dumb idea)
The better idea is to merge with souths Logan magpies, and be that brand instead, 2 heritage clubs, iconic branding.... south Brisbane based
What easts are lacking isn't funds or pathways, it's a role. They aren't nessesary... you talk about where is south Brisbane's team, well they are literally call Eastern suburbs Brisbane, not to mention Wynnum is next to them too, in nrl terms thats roosters and sharks, whilst Brisbane is saying where's our bulldogs or eels? (Sydney's south/west equivalent)
I'm not trying to convince you to change you mind donks, just trying to show you how these arlc people would look at the branding potential of a new club..
If it's in Brisbane, where? Obviously not city or east, or not north now with the dolphins, preferbly playing all games at suncorp, so cant be ipswich, too far, not Tigers or panthers we have both of those, we used to have Magpies, and south Brisbane is growing, bingo! its their link to the start of the Western corridor, anyways good luck with Logan
This is just your speculative opinion dressed up as a "fact".

PNG will be burdensome to the ARLC, broadcasters and RLPA for decades. Anyone who thinks it'll produce a long list of NRL players within a decade has rocks in their head.

Perth will never command much revenue from the broadcasters and advertisers. Neither will NZ2. That's the reality facing our game.

You believe every dumbarse click bait claim that's been made by V'landys. For months you arrogantly claimed two of the next three licences would be PNG Pride in Cairns and Melbourne Bears. All because V'landys made some smug comments to the media. He's said a lot of dumb things that were abandoned when the shit hit the fan.

MugaB

Coach
This is just your speculative opinion dressed up as a "fact".

PNG will be burdensome to the ARLC, broadcasters and RLPA for decades. Anyone who thinks it'll produce a long list of NRL players within a decade has rocks in their head.

Perth will never command much revenue from the broadcasters and advertisers. Neither will NZ2. That's the reality facing our game.

You believe every dumbarse click bait claim that's been made by V'landys. For months you arrogantly claimed two of the next three licences would be PNG Pride in Cairns and Melbourne Bears. All because V'landys made some smug comments to the media. He's said a lot of dumb things that were abandoned when the shit hit the fan.
I did say png and bears were next, bears being locally wherever they laid their base.... I thought a second Melbourne since it had 8 million population in Victoria, and they are currently feeding the storm, who better to start another derby in one of the Austraila's/Pacific's biggest cities, and PNG is bringing in govt dollars, hardly a noose, your death riding every bid is making you akin to the hypocritical karen crew you hated not to long ago.. I believe there is plenty of expansion areas to go, not need to hate everyone of them, based on your bias opinion

Vlad59

Bench

Where do I begin?

As for the crap about Perth, PNG and Christchurch.

PNG is a really f**king stupid idea. Hence the reason it was dreamt up by f**kwits from NSW Labor in 2018. No amount of federal aid will make it a viable option. No one will want to live in Port Moresby. The developmental system in PNG is decades away from being able to churn out a high amount of NRL-quality players. The amount of Papuans who have enough disposable income to actively support a Port Moresby-basrd NRL team would be a few thousand at most. Possibly less than a thousand.

Most people in PNG will be lucky to see an NRL game on TV. All games are exclusively broadcast by Digicel via their streaming servicd. The monthly cost of a subscription is almost $80.

Perth needs to find $30m to fund a team. It also needs a stadium upgrade and a high performance training centre. The Bears don't have that sort of cash lying around.

Do any of the Christchurch bids have the resources to fund a team?

One of them was begging for money on Facebook!

There's only one bid in the country with the resources to field a team. Brisbane Tigers.
Potato

Milhouse2020

Juniors
The argument from the other side is that we don't want a Perth team..well as a matter of fact I want a team in Cambodia, Japan and Saudi Arabia! I wish that the greatest game of all was played everywhere! Fact is, it's only possible to do incrementally.. any step too far ends up being a step backwards through lost audience capture, funding and talent.
The Bears offers some audience capture, funding and talent.. that makes it possible a step not too far...

What Singleton is alluding to, is that based on his look under the hood with his acute business acumen, Perth is in fact a step too far.
If we go to Perth it has to be very strategic and calculated risk that we are willing to bare.
I'm really keen on Perth but there's better options to step forward, grow more and consolidate that growth before such a leap.

You forgot to include China. The future of Rugby League is China.