What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2ND ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Lord's Jul 18-22, 2013

TheParraboy

Staff member
Talk of Khawaja will be in for Cowan

Harris or Bird in for Starc

No dramas there for me

lockyno1

Post Whore
Onions would be our worst nightmare at Lords, wished he wasn't in the squad, unfortunately England are not stupid.

Harrigan

Juniors
Forecasts good for the week too. 27-30c for the rest of the week in London. Should be suiting your guys really :lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal
If we pick the right team we will win.

Watson
Rogers
Hughes
Khawaja
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Agar
Pattinson
Siddle
Harris

Same XI as I picked right after the 1st test but IMO an improved order.

This XI would win this test. It's upto the selectors to get this right. Starc and Cowan were the two clear dissappointments and in a 5 test series you cannot afford to keep passengers. Replace them with two players in Khawaja and Harris who have the ability to contribute to a win. And we need a win.

and he got 3 more wickets than Agar yet everyone wants to retain Agar and drop Starc

go figure

huh?

it was agar's first ever test.

His bowling was more than respectable.

And you cant compare a spinner to a pace bowler. We actually have depth in the pace bowling dept.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'll admit I didn't see much of the test but I'm a Bird fan and would have him in the team over Starc Naked. Harris no. He's about as reliable as a Leyland P76 and is similar to Veggieman in style. I think the machine gun (Uzi) will play over Cowan at 3. HAH to stay at 6, the start of the tail.

Haffa

Brad haddin on Lords "it's the home of cricket just outside the SCG but its a close second" :lol: Agreed, Brad.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
1 - Hughes
2 - Rogers
3 - Khawaja
4 - Watson
5 - Clarke
6 - Smith
7 - Haddin
8 - Pattinson
9 - Agar
10 - Siddle
11 - Bird

would be the side I'd be happy with for the second test, out of the available squad.

Hughes can't play spin to save his life, get him batting early, he might jag a few more 50's before Swann arrives and makes him his bitch. Watson need to be batting around 5-7, but Clarke is better at 5.

Bird in for Starc. Pattinson needs to start bowling more consistently and build pressure, or he can be dropped too.

oldmancraigy

Coach
re: thoughts of selecting Lyon.

No. No. No. No. No.

Agar doesn't need to take a wicket to offer more than Lyon. He can field, and he can score runs. The point of having a spinner is for "variety". Agar offers that while keeping one end tight - he only went at 2.5 per over in that test match.

For his first class career, Agar boasts a better strike rate, economy rate, and average to Nathan Lyon. And he's already had a 5 wicket haul in a first class game (Nathan Lyon is yet to record a domestic 5-fer).

Anyone who thinks Lyon offers anything is mad. This year he's been going at 4.5 per over, and barely troubled the scorers in the wicket taking department. The bloke is fence fodder, and unable to either field or bat well enough to make a contribution on those fronts.

Given that we don't have a spinner who can challenge at international level, if we MUST have one, why not go with the bloke who might score some runs, and contribute in the field? And if that bloke happens to have a vastly superior first class record....

Latest posts