What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2ND ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Lord's Jul 18-22, 2013

Pete Cash

Post Whore
All the quicks should be watching how McGrath (and the English bowlers) bowled at lords in 2005 on repeat until their eyes bleed

VictoryFC

Bench
No , thats about Par. And you neglect his economy rate , which is way too high for a spinner @ 3.12

and an off spinner should be keeping it much tighter than that.

I'm not a Lyon hater by any means , I think he's been our best since warne.

But I think Agar can match those stats.

About par for who? International cricket or Australian cricket? We are afterall talking about Australian spin options, and hes the best we've, with a good enough record so far to retain his spot.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Pakistan umpire Aleem Dar, fasting through Ramadan, missed Broad's thick edge off debutant Ashton Agar when on 37 to Michael Clarke at first slip in England's second innings at Trent Bridge.

The Broad incident was late in the afternoon as well, could ramadan have affected his concentration?

TheParraboy

Staff member
How we miss good umpires like David Shepherd. Cant remember any player or fan not liking him. Loved his lord nelson hop when sides were on 111 always made me laugh.

What is interesting he was given special dispensation by the ICC to umpire in an Ashes match at Lord's as his final Test, but turned down the opportunity to maintain the ICC's neutral umpiring policy for Test matches

About par for who? International cricket or Australian cricket? We are afterall talking about Australian spin options, and hes the best we've, with a good enough record so far to retain his spot.

They are on par for an international spinner.

Not great , not bad just OK.

I've already said he's been our best spinner since warne , no doubt about it.

But he's hardly good enough not to be indispensable.

Agar IMO is easily good enough to match his stats. Why would you play just two OK spinners ?

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Playing 5 bowlers would be idiotic.

Watson bowled bloody well in Nottingham giving us 4 quicks. Smith can roll his arm over if we desperately need a spinner.

40% our runs came from our 10th wicket in Nottingham. The last thing we should do is drop a batsman.

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/content/story/652367.html

Team news

England's only decision is whether Finn keeps his place. His record at Lord's is excellent, and England like different style bowlers and Finn is the only tall quick in their squad. But Alastair Cook has said England are not afraid to change a winning side and Tim Bresnan or Graham Onions could replace Finn.

England (probable) 1 Alastair Cook (capt), 2 Joe Root, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Jonny Bairstow, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 Steven Finn, 11 James Anderson.

Australia have two main questions to ask. Do they retain Ed Cowan who looked out of it at Trent Bridge? Usman Khawaja is the spare top-order batsman. And do they tinker with the bowling attack? Jackson Bird and Ryan Harris are potential replacements, probably for Mitchell Starc, who lost his way from day three onwards. James Faulkner could also be utilised as an allrounder.

Australia (possible) 1 Shane Watson, 2 Chris Rogers, 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Michael Clarke (capt), 5 Steve Smith, 6 Phillip Hughes, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Ashton Agar, 9 Peter Siddle, 10 James Pattinson, 11 Jackson Bird

So will Usman Khawaja finally get a game? Or will there continue to be reasons to leave him out? Surely Cowan can't get picked.. We've put up with mediocrity for too long. Bring in a fresh face and inject some enthusiasm, like Agar did.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope Uzi and Bird get called up to replace Cowan and Starc.

Hiughes has to go up the order. He has no idea against spin.

Valheru

Coach
So , what if Agar is the best spin option and also very handy with the bat?

Then put him at number 8 and be done with it. It is pretty clear though that he is an all rounder and I think you?ll find that his spin bowling will be decent at best when it is all said and done.

Don?t get me wrong, I am not hating on the bloke, I think he could be Andrew Symonds like for us. He is good with the bat and handy with the ball but we need a frontline spinner to take wickets. Lyon is worth persevering with IMO.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Lol Lyon. We're struggling to get rid of Cowan and now we want to bring back the bowling version of him.

This team is much better without Lyon AND Cowan.

chileman

Coach
Playing 5 bowlers would be idiotic.

Watson bowled bloody well in Nottingham giving us 4 quicks. Smith can roll his arm over if we desperately need a spinner.

40% our runs came from our 10th wicket in Nottingham. The last thing we should do is drop a batsman.
Yes, yes and yes.....totally agree!

I think our bowling is fine. A bit loose at times, particularly Siddle but he takes wickets, it's the batting that's f**ked. 1 down quickly becomes 3 down. We really need Clarke to fire.

Have to win the toss and bat first too. Can't let the Poms get on the front foot.

Not surprised to hear they were allegedly ball tampering either, 2005 all over again.