What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI: Australia v Pakistan at Melbourne on Jan 15, 2017

Bazal

Post Whore
Piss-poor effort with bat and ball.

I wouldn't say that. It's a pretty rubbish wicket, 250 pitch I'd say. So 220 isn't way off the mark. And we've taken it to the kast 3 or 4 overs so runs should really have been enough.

What has been piss poor though is the use of the bowlers. 2 (now 3) overs of spin on a wicket that has been supremely helpful to the slow bowlers is simply not good enough. Faulkner, the wicket taker for the day and the bowler who the pitch most suited, has been left until the game is gone. Just not good enough. Bordering on arrogance really....completely ignoring what happened in the first innings.

Wizardman

First Grade
Huge congratulations to Pakistan. Their bowling has kicked the shit out of us. We were very lucky to win the first game.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Not a great performance from Australia, but Pakistan were excellent and showed a lot of energy out in the field.

For the sake of the series this is a fantastic result. Should keep the interest in the series high throughout.

undertaker

Coach
15+ years ago, with the longer boundaries and much slower outfield, 220 would've been defendable at the MCG, even in the 170s-190s....Not now in the T20 era. We needed at least 250 in today's conditions to be any chance.

Our top order batting in both matches so far has been extremely unimpressive. This obsession with picking fake all-rounders such as Mitchell Marsh has got to stop. Had "Bowling Garry" not chipped in with that century in the first match - courtesy of the pickle juice - we could easily have been down 2-0.

On a positive note, nice to see lower-scoring ODIs. Have been so sick and tired of all the 300+ 1st innings scores in Australia over the past few years.

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
Congrats to Pakistan. Smithy too much of a one tracked mind. Let the batsmen settle in against pace without mixing the bowling up.

Hope this is a wake up call for our batsman. If fit get Lynn in for Marsh. See if he can learn the tactical side of the game. If he's not fit then bring in Bailey or another batsman they want to try out.
Looks like we have a series though so that's sonething.

undertaker

Coach
Not a great performance from Australia, but Pakistan were excellent and showed a lot of energy out in the field.

For the sake of the series this is a fantastic result. Should keep the interest in the series high throughout.
well, the series will be alive until at least the 4th ODI.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I wouldn't say that. It's a pretty rubbish wicket, 250 pitch I'd say. So 220 isn't way off the mark. And we've taken it to the kast 3 or 4 overs so runs should really have been enough.

What has been piss poor though is the use of the bowlers. 2 (now 3) overs of spin on a wicket that has been supremely helpful to the slow bowlers is simply not good enough. Faulkner, the wicket taker for the day and the bowler who the pitch most suited, has been left until the game is gone. Just not good enough. Bordering on arrogance really....completely ignoring what happened in the first innings.
He's a plastic turd these days but warney would have cleaned these merkins up on this. f**k we were spoilt for such a long time. Deadset would not feed a single spinner in this country!

Bazal

Post Whore
Congrats to Pakistan. Smithy too much of a one tracked mind. Let the batsmen settle in for pace.

Hope this is a wake up call for our batsman. If fit get Lynn in for Marsh. See if he can learn the tactical side of the game. If he's not fit then bring in Bailey or another batsman they want to try out.
Looks like we have a series though so that's sonething.

Lynn can bat five or six and play his natural game no problems. I wouldn't ask him to change too much...probably ruin him as an ODI batsman if we ask him to go too far away from what he does naturally.

Warner Khawaja Smith Head Maxwell Lynn (or Lynn Maxwell) is fine IMO.

mattyg

Bench
I know it's a different format etc. but can anyone explain to me HOW m.marsh gets selected over Faulkner for the long form of the game? Faulkner is by far a better bowler in all formats going by averages. Marsh isn't good enough IMO at anything to warrant selection. In first class Faulkner has a superior batting average and bowling average, yet marsh has played 20 odd tests compared to Faulkner only having played 1. Baffles me that the selectors keep going back to marsh when there is a better option right under their noses

Bazal

Post Whore
He's a plastic turd these days but warney would have cleaned these merkins up on this. f**k we were spoilt for such a long time. Deadset would not feed a single spinner in this country!

Mate Tim May would have cleaned them up on that track...blows my mind that Smith completely ignored his spinners after that first innings. It's Ponting at Cardiff all over again

undertaker

Coach
Interesting stat:

Tonight is Pakistan's first ODI win against us in Australia since 2005, and their first win against us in an MCG ODI since 1985

undertaker

Coach
I know it's a different format etc. but can anyone explain to me HOW m.marsh gets selected over Faulkner for the long form of the game? Faulkner is by far a better bowler in all formats going by averages. Marsh isn't good enough IMO at anything to warrant selection. In first class Faulkner has a superior batting average and bowling average, yet marsh has played 20 odd tests compared to Faulkner only having played 1. Baffles me that the selectors keep going back to marsh when there is a better option right under their noses
Yeah, it is hard to believe the Faulkner (who looks like the long-list illegitimate child of James Brayshaw) has only played one test, and that was in a dead rubber at The Oval in the 2013 Ashes.

Latest posts